Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Tricks and Tips for the svn MPlayer

Beans

Re: Top 10 Tricks and Tips for the svn MPlayer

Andrew,

I know you don't have an nvidia 8xxx/9xxx card as you've mentioned numerous times, but "Tip 11" would definitely be VDPAU. It's revolutionary for desktop linux, IMHO... Splurge the $50 to get something like a 9500GT with 512MB or greater RAM, you'll really thank yourself if you watch a lot of videos on your desktop.

Beans

Hi mocha,

Good to hear rom you again!

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I know you don't have an nvidia 8xxx/9xxx card as you've mentioned numerous times, but "Tip 11" would definitely be VDPAU. It's revolutionary for desktop linux, IMHO... Splurge the $50 to get something like a 9500GT with 512MB or greater RAM, you'll really thank yourself if you watch a lot of videos on your desktop.
    Have a mentioned my modest hardware that many times . A laptop at that which will not actually take an upgrade video card... But your point is well taken and for my next computer I would be foolish not to get one with a decent card and definitely vdpau would be in there.

To move a little OT: I mentioned on another guide that in fact I have finally made a decision to retire from the svn installation guides for MPlayer that I have undertaken for several years now. In part because I have slipped behind the times with vdpau, FFmpeg-mt, coreavc and the like but mostly because Karmic is shipping with a decent MPlayer package. And of course rvm has a PPA with a decent copy as well .

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, I found this page while browsing http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=834672. The command line trick "unrar p -inul myarchive.rar | mplayer -cache 2048 -" of using mplayer to play files inside a rar archive is very cool!

Beans

Hi learningcurb,

Quote Originally Posted by learningcurb View Post
    Hi, I found this page while browsing http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=834672. The command line trick "unrar p -inul myarchive.rar | mplayer -cache 2048 -" of using mplayer to play files inside a rar archive is very cool!
    Looks like the gratuitous plug for my own guide has worked well . Mind you I still think the scaletempo filter is the coolest thing of all of the tips.

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Andrew46

Really loving the mplayer guides. You mention in your top tips playing of playlists. Anyway that you know of to get mplayer to crossfade or can it only cope with linear playback?
    No longer participating......

Beans

Hi Jose,

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    You mention in your top tips playing of playlists. Anyway that you know of to get mplayer to crossfade or can it only cope with linear playback?
    Unfortunately I believe this cannot be done yet. I note however that in the MPlayer source tree under DOCS/tech/wishlist:

Filters

[...]

* crossfade filter (audio and video)
    So perhaps one day this will come? Mind you at the top of the wishlist I also see the following:

If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets ...
    All the best,

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Jose,

Unfortunately I believe this cannot be done yet. I note however that in the MPlayer source tree under DOCS/tech/wishlist:

So perhaps one day this will come? Mind you at the top of the wishlist I also see the following:

All the best,

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Definitely my favourite "trick" with svn MPlayer is enabling joystick support. I used your wonderful howto to compile MPlayer with joystick support by adding only --enable-joystick to the configure options.

Bought a cheap (< 10$) wireless gamepad. Makes a great RF remote control for watching movies !! Only had to write a few lines in MPlayer's input.conf and it was done.

Anyway, thanks Andrew for writing all this good stuff about MPlayer, it makes my favourite video player even better.

Beans

Hi jellyfish,

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfisharepretty View Post
    Anyway, thanks Andrew for writing all this good stuff about MPlayer, it makes my favourite video player even better.
    Thanks for your kind words!

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You made one error in your guide. The greatest movie of all time is not The Matrix...It's Vanishing Point 1971

J/K

Great Guide!
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast