Thread: Google Chrome errors

Beans

Google Chrome errors

I installed google chrome with the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable
    , and everything was fine. But then, when I ran google chrome from the terminal, with
    Code:
    google-chrome-stable
    , it the terminal, a whole bunch of errors occurred. What do they mean? Here they are:
    Code:
    [4052:4052:0703/113037:ERROR:url_pattern_set.cc(240)] Invalid url pattern: chrome://print/*
    [4052:4052:0703/113037:ERROR:background_mode_manager_aura.cc(14)] Not implemented reached in virtual void BackgroundModeManager::EnableLaunchOnStartup(bool)
    [9:9:0703/113039:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    [9:9:0703/113040:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    [4087:4087:0703/153040:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(11539)] [GroupMarkerNotSet(crbug.com/242999)!:D0062B330A050000]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glTexStorage2DEXT: <- error from previous GL command
    [9:9:0703/113049:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    [4052:4197:0703/113049:ERROR:get_updates_processor.cc(243)] PostClientToServerMessage() failed during GetUpdates
    [9:9:0703/113549:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    I tried running Chrome multiple times, and all of these errors popped up. They don't seem to be affecting my browsing in there though. I am not sure if this is relevant or not, but my default browser is still Mozilla Firefox.

You can also download a .deb file from the google chrome website, which takes you to ubuntu software center, so both ways are the same.

-Thank you
    Last edited by jeff131; July 3rd, 2015 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

Re: Google Chrome errors

I didn't know Google Chrome could be installed by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable
    Is Google Chrome now being offered by the software center?

Beans

Well, there is a .deb file offered by the google chrome website, which takes you to ubuntu software center, where it was labled as google-chrome-stable. Either way, by graphical, or by terminal, The errors are the same

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed Chrome by downloading the deb file from Google/Chrome site, and then using "gdebi" (a stand-alone deb file install tool) to install it. (just right clik the deb file). Note, you may need to go into Synaptic or the USC to install gdebi.

Beans

Not sure what you have done. You CANNOT install Chrome with sudo apt-get because Chrome is a third party software and it is not in the repository. As Geoffery_Arndt said download the deb and right click it to install (by default the software centre will come up but gdebi would be much faster. You need to install it first "sudo apt-get install gdebi", then right click a .deb and from properties choose gdebi as the default application to open .deb)

Beans

Anyway, this is what I see when launching google-chrome-stable from the terminal:
    Code:
    10:10 PM ~ $ google-chrome-stable
    [8943:8943:0703/221102:ERROR:url_pattern_set.cc(240)] Invalid url pattern: chrome://print/*
    [9:9:0703/221103:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    [9:9:0703/221103:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    [9:9:0703/221111:ERROR:resource_request_policy.cc(57)] Denying load of chrome-extension://apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf/page_embed_script.js from hosted app.
    [8943:9071:0703/221114:ERROR:get_updates_processor.cc(243)] PostClientToServerMessage() failed during GetUpdates
    10:11 PM ~ $
    Unless something doesn't work, I'd ignore those errors. And I rarely launch GUI programs from the terminal.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Not sure what you have done. You CANNOT install Chrome with sudo apt-get because Chrome is a third party software and it is not in the repository.
    Actually you can if the Google PPA has already been added to your sources list.

I agree with vasa1, if Chrome works starting normally why bother with errors encountered by starting it from a terminal?
    Last edited by PaulW2U; July 3rd, 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Actually you can if the Google PPA has already been added to your sources list.
    But I think the Google ppa is added when you install the .deb the first time.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    But I think the Google ppa is added when you install the .deb the first time.
    Yes and no. See http://tecadmin.net/install-google-chrome-in-ubuntu/ and numerous other sites.

You can add the PPA first then install Chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    I installed Chrome by downloading the deb file from Google/Chrome site, and then using "gdebi" (a stand-alone deb file install tool) to install it. (just right clik the deb file). Note, you may need to go into Synaptic or the USC to install gdebi.
    Agree with this. ^^^

I've always used 'gdebi' for installing one-off .deb files that I trust to install correctly and not mess up my system. It's more efficient, faster, and also handles the necessary dependencies much more effectively.

I always use it install my Epson printer/scanner drivers & software. The Software Centre, on the couple of occasions I've used it for this purpose, seems to hang halfway through installation. It does eventually get there, but it seems to take forever.

There ARE more efficient ways of installing stuff. Once you've used Ubuntu for a little while, you come to realise this..!

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!