Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post

Microsoft has a similar view of a homogeneous OS across platforms than it looks like Ubuntu is pursuing, but is further along after spending more time and money on the issue.

Actually it is not further along but only because of the third party propriety code, and not for long.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
    Actually it is not further along but only because of the third party propriety code, and not for long.

too many negatives... are you saying they are "not further along" or they ARE because "of third party propriet(ar)y code" or that they are not so far along because of proprietary code but that is "not for long" (meaning they will move ahead quickly)?
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I will clarify. Microsoft is way behind Canonical in creating a homogeneous OS across all platforms, because the Windows experience is so dependent upon third party proprietary code. In time as more proprietary software vendors migrate their Windows applications to ARM and the Windows 8 Modern UI Microsoft will get closer and closer to its goal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Microsoft has the same access to open source code as we all do.
    From Microsoft's point of view, FLOSS is a serious competitor. I think that Steve Ballmer summed up the attitude when he called Linux a "cancer".

So, although MS has access to FLOSS, it does not want to encourage it. Remember that MS makes money from lock-in, not from openness. This has been true of other companies, notably Apple and (in the past) IBM.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Re: Ubuntu phone OS

I previously asked about the hardware availability for Ubuntu® for Phones:
    Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    ...Where can I find a list of smartphones, by manufacturer and model, with the Cortex® A9 X4 APU, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, &c. specified for Ubuntu® for Phones?
    After reading the article at Forbes® on the progress of Ubuntu® for Phones as of 4 January 2013, it appears that Motorola® is taking a hardware approach along the lines suggested in other Posts this Thread, as the company already has at least one dockable smartphone, specifically the MB886 ATRIX HD (Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X2 APU,1 GB RAM, 8 GB SSD), which already runs Google® Android™ 4.1 from the factory on supporting PCS service providers and may already be compatible with Ubuntu® for Android™. I'm after something yet hardier with more capability, based on the published requirements for Ubuntu® for Phones; is my requested list from Post 12435327 available yet?
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

Hang on...

I know that a lot of Ubuntu's Bread and Butter is FLOSS friendly software, which could make for something that could work on x86 or ARM, but what about the HIB games and the like we only just got on to the platform? Would there be an easy recompilation method for paid for software, with the only real benefit being the community holding asses over fires?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by moocow1452 View Post
    Hang on...

I know that a lot of Ubuntu's Bread and Butter is FLOSS friendly software, which could make for something that could work on x86 or ARM, but what about the HIB games and the like we only just got on to the platform? Would there be an easy recompilation method for paid for software, with the only real benefit being the community holding asses over fires?
    I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, I assume it has something to do with Humble Bundle games, I'd suggest you come back in a year, when there actually is a working version on a smart phone and ask your question again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    From Microsoft's point of view, FLOSS is a serious competitor. I think that Steve Ballmer summed up the attitude when he called Linux a "cancer".

So, although MS has access to FLOSS, it does not want to encourage it. Remember that MS makes money from lock-in, not from openness. This has been true of other companies, notably Apple and (in the past) IBM.
    Microsoft may not want to promote that, and may not like it but there is little doubt that FOSS, as well as pirated version of Windows, does provide benefit to Microsoft Windows in that it fills in the gaps for people that do not or can not afford the proprietary "industry standard" versions.

Beans

^^ I'm wondering, now that Canonical is going to have to compile every payware thing in the Ubuntu Software Center over again for ARM, would we have to worry about Fragmentation across processors?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by moocow1452 View Post
    ^^ I'm wondering, now that Canonical is going to have to compile every payware thing in the Ubuntu Software Center over again for ARM, would we have to worry about Fragmentation across processors?
    I don't know if that will be such an issue at this point. The ARM and x86 processors don't cross much in their application yet.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast