Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexmark Printer

Beans

Question Lexmark Printer

Recently I foolishly purchased a new Lexmark X7675 all-in-one printer without first checking if it would work with Ubuntu ver 8.04. It appears that I am not going to find a driver so now I am wondering if I can access it as a shared printer through my other pc that is running winxp sp3. Anyone have any thoughts on this problem that I will be able to understand as I am just starting my learning of Linux and I am still pretty green.
    Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Lexmark Printer

I think you're out of luck.....even shared printers require a driver on the system you want to print from. I guess your only, current, option would be to access your print job from your windows system.....unfortunately that means the file has to be a format recognised by windows.

Beans

Yes you are out of luck, i also have a Lexmark printer and ran into the same problem. I am currently looking at getting a wireless brother or dell printer. Nice enough reason for an upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post
    I am currently looking at getting a wireless brother or dell printer.
    I believe the dell printers are made by lexmark. At least, they were in the past. Might want to check up on that.
    As for the rest of you, I'm going to tear off your skin like wrapping paper and deck the halls with your guts! (Robot Santa, Futurama)

Beans

HP have the best open source printer drivers, epson are very good too, canon,lexmark, dell arent very good! I should know! Have no problem with HP epson, only lexmarks, dell, and canon - other i cant comment on!!

www.cups.org/

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting - HP sponsor linux printing so there drivers are amazing!!

Beans

Yes I meant to say HP wireless printer. I have been seriously looking at purchasing a Dell Laptop so it has been on my mind a lot lately.

Beans

I too recently purchased the same printer - and am hoping that a driver will soon be available. The sad thing is, after doing so much research and finally selecting the Lexmark x7675 because it is supposedly one of the best printers available (price/quality of print, etc), except..no driver for Linux. Get with the program Lexmark - support the Linux community the way HP does!
    On the plus side, at least the printer does actually produce very nice prints/pictures from the ..ahem..MS..side (running XP from within VirtualBox)

Beans

The lexmark website has some drivers for Linux, but I just don't know which one we would use.

Can anyone shed some light?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Re: Lexmark Printer

I have fought with printers ever since I first started using Ubuntu (I use it for schoolwork, so you see where problems with not being able to print arise), and the only tried and true way I have found to be able to print through USB on Ubuntu is to buy an HP printer that is listed as compatible in this website.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ces/index.html

Most HP printers work well with Ubuntu 8.10's built-in drivers, so you may have one sitting around that works just by plugging it into a USB port, but if you plan to go out and buy a printer; I would always check this list first.

-I hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello All,

I also have the X7675, and think it's a really nice printer. I couldn't find anything comparable for the same price. I prefer not to take it back, and am thinking if I can control it from XP in VirtualBox, that I could live with that lol.

Think this is plausible???

-Thomas
    Last edited by TomDaBomb2u; March 11th, 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast