Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots thread participation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Screenshots thread participation

So, I've been a member here since 2007 or so, and while I haven't been the world's most active poster, I have done a lot of looking around.

The screenshot threads used to be huge, Often 20+ pages, many over 30 pages. But I was busy with life for a couple years and didn't really have time for any forums, period. Now, it seems they get a few replies and peter out. Last month's was only two pages.

I used to love to look through those threads. Shame it seems nobody's interested anymore...
    I have some computers and stuff. Really.
    Dell Precision M6500 - 8GB/560GB - Ubuntu MATE 16.04/Win7Pro
    Macbook 2,1 C2D 2.16 13" 4GB/120GB - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Screenshots thread participation

Forum participation across the board has reduced (been on the forum for about 6 years, obviously not with this account)... A few days ago there was a gap of more than 5 hours between new posts anywhere on the forum. I remember a time where there wouldn't be a gap of more than ten minutes without there being a post in the Cafe sub forum alone.

Perhaps Ubuntu is just so stable now that no-one has issues, or no-one uses it, or forums are becoming obsolete...? Who knows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by work-work View Post
    A few days ago there was a gap of more than 5 hours between new posts anywhere on the forum.
    There have been two or three significant downtimes over the last few days while sysadmins were working on a database issue. That would explain a gap of several hours.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2330572
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by work-work View Post
    Forum participation across the board has reduced (been on the forum for about 6 years, obviously not with this account)... A few days ago there was a gap of more than 5 hours between new posts anywhere on the forum. I remember a time where there wouldn't be a gap of more than ten minutes without there being a post in the Cafe sub forum alone.

Perhaps Ubuntu is just so stable now that no-one has issues, or no-one uses it, or forums are becoming obsolete...? Who knows.
    One thing is other resources have appeared in the last 6 years (AU, sub-reddit etc.), along with social networks that people heavily use. You are talking about the Cafe, social uses have changed. The forums still gather its crowd and fits its community and support purpose. Once we came back up last night, posts started pouring in
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On the subject of screenshots of the desktop UI. I just use the default wallpapers. I am not interested in much else other than what comes as default. In the past Linux users needed to learn some skills to use Linux. Ubuntu has moved far a way from those days. How many new Ubuntu users even know that alternative wallpapers and themes are available? And do they care?

As to the usefulness of this forum. Potential new users still need advice on how to dual boot with Windows 10. And many XP users are finally waking up to the fact that they have a security vulnerable OS that is not supported anymore running on hardware that is still working but cannot run the newest versions of Windows. These people do not want to junk working hardware. Some of them come here for advice.

Peoples needs change. The forum responds, accordingly.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I suppose it all makes sense. Just kind of a bummer since I loved those threads. Ah well...
    I have some computers and stuff. Really.
    Dell Precision M6500 - 8GB/560GB - Ubuntu MATE 16.04/Win7Pro
    Macbook 2,1 C2D 2.16 13" 4GB/120GB - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    There have been two or three significant downtimes over the last few days while sysadmins were working on a database issue. That would explain a gap of several hours.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2330572
    Ah I see what you mean about the server downtime. Glad to hear the forum isn't kicking the bucket

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Talking Re: Screenshots thread participation

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    One thing is other resources have appeared in the last 6 years (AU, sub-reddit etc.), along with social networks that people heavily use.
    This is true.Everyone is over at Ubuntu/Reddit and Facebook these days. However,in spite of that,this forum is worth it's weight in gold in
    my way of thinking.
    I also enjoyed those screenshots.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    This is true.Everyone is over at Ubuntu/Reddit and Facebook these days. However,in spite of that,this forum is worth it's weight in gold in
    my way of thinking.
    I also enjoyed those screenshots.
    Thanks Linuxratty. For the last week we've been on and off, with 2 downtime periods around 10h straight (not quite sure about the exact timings) and the forums populated back quite rapidly each time we went back online. So yes, the forums fit a purpose, people use them, even hackers have interest

People use what they like and feel comfortable with. Some wont go anywhere past mailing lists, some will have multiple accounts on multiple social media.

Now about the customization, I'm not quite sure why people spend less time tweaking their user interface or why they expose them less here. Maybe Youtube has quite a bit of them, allowing users to show how it is done to a wider and less specific audience.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

on google+ there are constant post about desktop custumisation. some were so annoying to me i had to mute the posters.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast