Thread: Flash player 9

Beans

Exclamation Flash player 9

I am new to linux and i just found out that i have to install adobe flash player 9 in order to watch video on youtube... I could use some advice on how to install this on my computer.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Flash player 9

Go to the Applications menu, select "Add/Remove", change the "show" drop-down to list "All available", and do a search for "flash". Check the tickbox for "Macromedia Flash" and click on "Apply changes". You might need to restart firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just saw a thing on digg about the new version of adobe flash player adds ubuntu compatibility but I don't think the new version is out yet.

There are also websites such as downthisvideo.com that let you download any youtube video to a video file. But you'll need codecs if not downloaded already, try doing a google search for Medibuntu then look for .MPEG or .AVI codecs which then the video should play fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Geogriffith View Post
    Go to the Applications menu, select "Add/Remove", change the "show" drop-down to list "All available", and do a search for "flash". Check the tickbox for "Macromedia Flash" and click on "Apply changes". You might need to restart firefox.
    I reccomend that you do not use add/remove to install packages. It is very sluggish and has many glitches, instead try using synaptics package manager which can be found by going to system))administration))synaptics. Plus, it has much more features.

Beans

Flash is very buggy in Ubuntu.
    Follow this tutorial http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008...phany-web.html to install flash and get it to work without crashing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sstewart207 View Post
    I reccomend that you do not use add/remove to install packages. It is very sluggish and has many glitches, instead try using synaptics package manager which can be found by going to system))administration))synaptics. Plus, it has much more features.
    I'm trying to reduce the confusion level as much as possible. There's 6 dozen results when searching for "flash". How's a newbie going to know to look for "flashplugin-nonfree"?

Anywho, if add/remove crashes on him, he'd probably come back and tell us. Otherwise, why throw more at him than he needs? Or should we just tell people to open a terminal and apt-get everything?

I don't find it sluggish or buggy at all. It is very fast and very simple to use. It is the simpliest and easiest method to use to install programs.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by magnus0 View Post
    Flash is very buggy in Ubuntu.
    Follow this tutorial http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008...phany-web.html to install flash and get it to work without crashing.
    magnus
    this isn't the sort of advice you should give to a newbie, who just asked how to install flash, I am sorry if you had flash problems, flash isn't buggy in ubuntu, it works for most people, of course some have problems and I don't know why that happens, so let him just install flash first, then if he finds a problem he will be back here.