Thread: How to: Install Ubuntu 7.10 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How to: Install Ubuntu 7.10 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Here's how to install Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) on the free Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 for those unable to dual-boot or unable to leave behind Windows (ie: on a work PC).I am posting this for future Google reference as there are currently only Virtual PC 2004 with Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) instructions on the community docs, and searching for Virtual PC 2007 in this sub-forum yields nothing.

Here's a screen cap of me having ubuntu doing its first-time updates in Virtual PC 2007 (click for larger image in new window):

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How to: Install Ubuntu 7.10 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

Thanks!

Now I'll be able to play with Ubuntu on my desktop as well as have it as my primary os on my laptop.

Beans

This is probably thread jacking, but here it goes:

I'll be honest, I pretty much hate anything to do with Microsoft. That said, Virtualbox.org makes a product that will do everything Microsoft Virtual PC will do. It's a good alternative if you need to keep windows (I really can't see why) then you can install this, install linux on top.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOne View Post
    It's a good alternative if you need to keep windows (I really can't see why)...
    Many of us have jobs that require Windows for development of .NET and Windows applications. I already use MS Virtual PC 2007 for other test installs, so it's a little more convenient for me to have an Ubuntu listing in that app as opposed to running two apps to do the same thing.

Also, MS Virtual PC 2007 is free if your O/S passes that "genuine" crap test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was trying to install fluxbuntu, i recon the command will be the same.. I forgot how to configure xf86config from the shell, when i boot my freshly installed fluxbuntu, it gets to where i imagine a login screen will be, and then stretches to about 2000 x 600 resolution and i cant figure it out. ive forgotten the command.
    Certifications: MCP,CCNA
    ASUS Eee PC 900, 900MHz, 1GB Ram, 4GB HDD
    Home Built AMD Sempron LE-1150 2.01GHz , 4GB RAM, 160GB+80GB HDD's
    Registered Ubuntu User#19798

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Try Wubi, It installs Ubuntu in Windows like a program, no dualboot or virtualization, and you can uninstall it later just like you uninstall any other program. I understand there are a few issues with the 7.10 version, but they may be fixed by now. http://wubi-installer.org/
    I installed it in Vista on my computer and it seemed to work OK, But I had to Install a Vista Partition to Put Vista in, since I use Ubuntu. and I made the partition too small so I didn't really have enough space to really test Wubi well. I played with it for about an hour then Installed Hardy Heron in the Partition I had put Vista in. I can only take Windows in short bursts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Awesome, thanks for the link cjm5229!