Thread: Is it possible to assign a /boot partition after installation

Beans

Question Is it possible to assign a /boot partition after installation

Hi, I just installed Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit. The first few times I tried to install the OS the installer freezed because of partition misconfiguration. that said - I am a new Linux user and have probably made a mistake while assigning /boot /home /var /tmp their own partitions. So I installed everything to root and the rest ran fine.
    Enough intro. Here is the question:
    I want to move /boot /home /var and /tmp to their own partitions. Is that possible? How do I do this?
    Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible to assign a /boot partition after installation

here is how to do installation:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...14&postcount=9

no needs to break the ubuntu default logic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I only suggest moving /home to another partition and even that does not have to be done.

To move /home uses rsync
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

If you really want to move the other partitions I think it is the same procedure. But moving /boot will also require a reinstall of grub2's boot loader.

Herman goes the other way and does not even create a separate swap.
    Herman on advantages/disadvantages of separate system partitions post#3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1410392
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is there any good reason you want to have /boot /var and /tmp on different partitions?
    Cheesemill

Beans

hey

First of all, excuse me for my bad english, but it is not my native language. I must say that until now I have worked with Win2000/Xp. Long time ago I worked with Xenix and in the last 2 month sometimes with Ubuntu. Now I have brought a new PC with 320Gb HD and 4 Gb RAM, and I wish to built a dual boot system, with Win7 and Ubuntu. After doing some search on google and see some partitions scheme, I have thought the following schema: ================================================== ================================================= Primary part. 1: Linux /boot, size 500 Mb, type ext3 Primary part. 2 : Win7 disk C:\, size 80 Gb, type NTFS; for OS and Win programs Primary part. 3 : Reserved 500 Mb ext3; reserved for future /boot of another distro. Extended partition: Logical part. 1: Win7 disk E:\, size 60 Gb , type NTFS; Only data ( D:\ is CD ) Logical part. 2: Space reserved 63 Gb Reserved for E:\ or \home increment or another distro. Logical part. 3: Linux /home , size 60 Gb, type ext3 ; Only data ( and /usr/locale ) Logical part. 4: LVM volume, size 60 Gb so initially subdivided: / 30 Gb, /tmp 15 Gb, /var 15 Gb Logical part. 5: /swap, size 6 Gb , type: swap Note: 1) /boot is the first, so if I need to increment C:\, I have to move only E:\ and partition 3 2) Partition 3 may be user for another linux distro 3) About swap: I have followed the Red Hat rule ( if ram >= 4Gb then swap = 2 + RAM; 4) About /home: I want a partition that I can backup with an utility like Norton Ghost for example. 5) About /, /tmp, /var: I want separate the temporary files from real OS files. LVM should give me the possibility of change the partitions size when I will have more experience. Can it work ? What do you think about ? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Best regards, Simone
    youve hit the nail on the head

Beans

Talking Re: Is it possible to assign a /boot partition after installation

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Is there any good reason you want to have /boot /var and /tmp on different partitions?
    Actually, the only reason I tried placing them on their own partitions is because I had never done so before and I was curious.

I managed to install Xubuntu the good old way - everything in /
    Thank you all for your answers and sorry for the late reply - I was thinking I had already replied.
    Maybe I'll have to do a bit more research before trying this type of installation again.
    I find oldfred's links very helpful, thank you!