Thread: How to Use Ubuntu-Kylin's Baidu Music Store Outside China?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thumbs down How to Use Ubuntu-Kylin's Baidu Music Store Outside China?

One of the China-localizations Ubuntu-Kylin provides vis-a-vis mother Ubuntu is that it includes Baidu music search in the Dash. However, this feature only works when you are in China.

Does anyone know if there is any good proxy server that will allow Kylin users in the US to utilize this localized feature?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to Use Ubuntu-Kylin's Baidu Music Store Outside China?

I found an i386 package that you may find useful here., it's also available in the repositories, including an amd64 package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    One of the China-localizations Ubuntu-Kylin provides vis-a-vis mother Ubuntu is that it includes Baidu music search in the Dash. However, this feature only works when you are in China.

Does anyone know if there is any good proxy server that will allow Kylin users in the US to utilize this localized feature?
    Thanks. the unity-china-music-scope package has already been installed in Kylin (this is one of the main advertised features of Kylin).

My question is where and how to implement a proxy server so as to allow me to employ the Baidu music services. These services are limited to IP addresses in China. In the US, when I tried to run this package, I received a message that the service is not available in my area (i.e., not available outside China).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know there are proxies in China, as spammers use them. I did find this list of proxy servers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have never used proxy before. But when I tried to use some of the proxy servers on the list with Firefox (Edit -> Advanced -> Network -> Settings -> Manual proxy configuration -> HTTP Proxy), I received a message that they are refusing the connections.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have been reading this

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/b...ment-775553841

I think that the issue has to do with the licensing arrangements of the Baidu Music site. There is a similar restriction in the UK regarding BBC iPlayer. We in the UK can use that site because we pay licence fees to watch TV and have already paid to view those programs and so we can view them over the internet. But people outside the UK have difficulty accessing those programs.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I know the reason behind the blocking (outside China), but I thought we should be able to fake our IP by using an appropriate proxy.

I came across a list of proxy server addresses in a Ubuntu forum in Taiwan which would allow people in Taiwan to access many internet cites that are similarly limited to China IP addresses. However, I forgot where this info was posted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Because this line of discussion seems destined to cross into territory in violation of the CoC vis-a-vis licensincing, EULAs, commercial restrictions and governmental restrictions, I'm closing it for staff review.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    I know the reason behind the blocking (outside China), but I thought we should be able to fake our IP by using an appropriate proxy..
    Perhaps this would be a good time to review the Code of Conduct.
    We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here. Such threads will be closed and offending users will be penalised with infractions and warnings
    Last edited by Iowan; March 30th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net