Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lubi: Wubi for Linux: Install *ubuntu on any Linux, no partitioning needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lubi: Wubi for Linux: Install *ubuntu on any Linux, no partitioning needed

I just posted a step-by-step video tutorial of how to use Lubi (basically until the reboot point, after which everything is automatic) at blip.tv (5.7 MB, ogg theora format, but you can use the java-based player if on Windows/Mac), see http://blip.tv/file/331040/

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Question...

if I install this to my partition hda2, will the rest of the partition be visible to the Lubi installed ubuntu install?

I keep media on hda2, and if I install it there, in a folder, will I be able to mount it to watch media contained on it via the lubi installed ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

if I install this to my partition hda2, will the rest of the partition be visible to the Lubi installed ubuntu install?

I keep media on hda2, and if I install it there, in a folder, will I be able to mount it to watch media contained on it via the lubi installed ubuntu?
    The drive you installed to will be at /media/host and the other drives can be mounted manually

Beans

Can this work for any linux distro ?
    what is the mandatory thing ?
    only lupin module in the kernel ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mirak63 View Post
    Can this work for any linux distro ?
    what is the mandatory thing ?
    only lupin module in the kernel ?
    Lubi can run from basically any distro, but it can only install Ubuntu, due to some portability issues in the loopmounting code we developed (lupin) and its dependency on d-i. However, if you want something that can run off either Windows or Linux, and can install several distros without a CD (currently Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva, Debian, and Arch Linux, more coming soon), you might want to check out another tool I developed, UNetbootin, the site is at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html and I have a forum thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427540

Beans

I have some problems installing Kubuntu in my debian system with lubi. When I reboot I have some errors about not finding the right file and some suggestions about checking find=
    I have configured lubi with an image already downloaded (kubuntu-7.10-beta-desktop-i386) that lubi has copied to /wubi/install
    Wubi is installed in /dev/hda1. Same problem if I try an install in /dev/sda1, the hard disk from where I am booting debian.
    I have tried some changes to menu.lst of grub withuout success.
    What can I do?

Piero

This is my system menu.lst:
    -----------------------------------------
    title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22.6-roo-1
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.6-roo-1 root=UUID=4b9e99b7-87b1-4e42-b1be-e8b365d0a228 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce vga=0x317
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22.6-roo-1

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title Ubuntu
    root (hd1,0)
    configfile /wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst

This is my /wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst:

----------------------------------------
    title Ubuntu
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux quiet ro
    initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
    boot

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.

title Ubuntu (Original Kernel)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux setup_iso=kubuntu-7.10-beta-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash ro
    initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
    boot
    ------------------------------------------------

Thsi is the part of my fstab concerning hard disks (one is serial ata, from where I am booting, dev/sda1, the other is dev/hda1):

UUID=4b9e99b7-87b1-4e42-b1be-e8b365d0a228 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
    UUID=c2ec2405-da78-4d24-9f36-8e67f3ab5ded /media/hda1 reiserfs defaults,users 0 1
    UUID=d3d3c463-0039-4ffc-8970-b0b1b86cc103 none swap sw 0 0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hifi25nl View Post
    I have some problems installing Kubuntu in my debian system with lubi. When I reboot I have some errors about not finding the right file and some suggestions about checking find=
    I have configured lubi with an image already downloaded (kubuntu-7.10-beta-desktop-i386) that lubi has copied to /wubi/install
    Wubi is installed in /dev/hda1. Same problem if I try an install in /dev/sda1, the hard disk from where I am booting debian.
    I have tried some changes to menu.lst of grub withuout success.
    What can I do?

Piero

This is my system menu.lst:
    -----------------------------------------
    title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22.6-roo-1
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.6-roo-1 root=UUID=4b9e99b7-87b1-4e42-b1be-e8b365d0a228 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce vga=0x317
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22.6-roo-1

title Ubuntu
    root (hd1,0)
    configfile /wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst

This is my /wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst:

----------------------------------------
    title Ubuntu
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux quiet ro
    initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
    boot

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.

title Ubuntu (Original Kernel)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux setup_iso=kubuntu-7.10-beta-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash ro
    initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
    boot

Thsi is the part of my fstab concerning hard disks (one is serial ata, from where I am booting, dev/sda1, the other is dev/hda1):

UUID=4b9e99b7-87b1-4e42-b1be-e8b365d0a228 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
    UUID=c2ec2405-da78-4d24-9f36-8e67f3ab5ded /media/hda1 reiserfs defaults,users 0 1
    UUID=d3d3c463-0039-4ffc-8970-b0b1b86cc103 none swap sw 0 0
    Lubi won't work using the 7.10 desktop iso. Use the 7.04 alternate iso, or if you want to install Ubuntu 7.10, use UNetbootin http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

Beans

Exclamation I need the username and password for ubundu 7.04?

Can someone tell me the username and password for ubundu 7.04?
    I downloaded it from http://wubi-installer.org/ , but it wants the login name and pass

thanks
    Samir

Beans
    Distro

Re: I need the username and password for ubundu 7.04?

Quote Originally Posted by sam1985 View Post
    Can someone tell me the username and password for ubundu 7.04?
    I downloaded it from http://wubi-installer.org/ , but it wants the login name and pass

thanks
    Samir
    The username and password should be whatever you provided during the initial installation prompt; there's no "master password" (for obvious security reasons). If you typed in what you originally entered, and it still spewed out an error, then that's a bug with Wubi (perhaps file a bug report, though given that the Wubi 7.04 branch isn't being maintained any longer since the focus is now on newer versions, I doubt it'll get fixed).

Anyhow, why are you installing Ubuntu 7.04? 7.10 has been out for a while, and has several improvements (and bugfixes) over the 7.04 version, so I'd install that instead. The 7.10 version of Wubi is available at http://wubi.sourceforge.net/devel/minefield/ while the UNetbootin 7.04/7.10 versions are available at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html use whichever one works better for you; both can install Ubuntu without a CD, the difference being that UNetbootin provides more flexibility and does a proper Ubuntu install (like the standard CD), while Wubi is somewhat more user-friendly for novice users, though more problematic in the long run due to its usage of loopmounted partitions.

PS This is the Lubi thread, not the Wubi one. Ask questions about Wubi in the general Wubi forum at http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234 and UNetbootin questions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427540 to keep topics nicely seperated and organized.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast