Thread: Install windows xp after using Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Question Install windows xp after using Ubuntu 9.04

Hi,
    I am a new user of ubuntu and have practically no knowledge of how ubuntu works. A week ago i installed ubuntu on a pen drive (windows was corrupted) and since then i have been booting ubuntu via pen drive. Now, i want to switch back to windows, however i get an error message "Error loading operating system" after the initial boot while installing windows xp.

Can someone please help me? I searched google and got a rough idea that it is related to boot loader. I would really appreciate if ubuntu community could help me with this matter.

BTW, i also formatted C drive (primary drive on which i wish to install windows xp) using Partition editor in live cd of ubuntu 9.04.

Beans

Re: Install windows xp after using Ubuntu 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by perryb2006 View Post
    however i get an error message "Error loading operating system" after the initial boot while installing windows xp
    It looks like you're trying to boot from the hard drive and no OS is found there (because you already wiped partitions with gparted).

Have you tried setting the BIOS to boot from the CD first of all? I'm quite confident it's the solution in this case.
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi perryb2006 and welcome to Ubuntu Forums.

You mentioned that you formatted drive C using the Ubuntu Live CD/Partition Editor. This erases the all data on that particular partition which in this case, your Windows system.

Now if you have with you the Windows CD and Ubuntu and you want to dual-boot, follow the instructions mentioned in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot. You have an option to either install first Ubuntu then Windows or vice-versa.

A piece of advise before formatting any drive, back-up your data somewhere else.

Hope that helps.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by julio_cortez View Post
    It looks like you're trying to boot from the hard drive and no OS is found there (because you already wiped partitions with gparted).

Have you tried setting the BIOS to boot from the CD first of all? I'm quite confident it's the solution in this case.
    My problem is after wiping the partition, when i tried to install windows xp in that partition, i got error message as stated above. So, i did try to install windows but for some reason windows was not able to load the initial boot files during startup and thats why the error message. And i believe formatting my c drive using ubuntu has something to do with this. Hope i am more clear this time.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroseven0183 View Post
    Hi perryb2006 and welcome to Ubuntu Forums.

You mentioned that you formatted drive C using the Ubuntu Live CD/Partition Editor. This erases the all data on that particular partition which in this case, your Windows system.

Now if you have with you the Windows CD and Ubuntu and you want to dual-boot, follow the instructions mentioned in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot. You have an option to either install first Ubuntu then Windows or vice-versa.

A piece of advise before formatting any drive, back-up your data somewhere else.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by perryb2006 View Post
    My problem is after wiping the partition, when i tried to install windows xp in that partition, i got error message as stated above. So, i did try to install windows but for some reason windows was not able to load the initial boot files during startup and thats why the error message. And i believe formatting my c drive using ubuntu has something to do with this. Hope i am more clear this time.
    No. Formatting your hard drive with the Live CD only erased the data. Regardless of what file system the Live CD formatted to, your Windows CD will format to a Windows file system when Windows installs.

However, it sounds like you are trying to do a clean install of Windows with an upgrade disc, which requires a pre-existing installation of Windows to upgrade from. If you do have a full copy of Windows, are you positive it is legitimate (as in NOT downloaded and cracked from somewhere)?
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by julio_cortez View Post

I agree.. I've had the same problem (gives a "no operating systems found" error when the hard drive is wiped and it was trying to boot from the HD), make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

try this as suggested in the second post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=631730 [+]
    Gaz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zeekoman View Post
    I agree.. I've had the same problem (gives a "no operating systems found" error when the hard drive is wiped and it was trying to boot from the HD), make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD.
    BIOS is set to boot from cd. Anyways, my hdd was the culprit here. Found the problem.
    Thanks for support ubuntu community!!!