Thread: trying to instal GNOME Desktop environment with extra components getting not found

Beans

trying to instal GNOME Desktop environment with extra components getting not found

trying to instal GNOME Desktop environment with extra components getting not found message ... what did i do wrong few minutes back it was their but now it is not it does shows 59 in brackets...

how do i get GNOME desktop environment?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: trying to instal GNOME Desktop environment with extra components getting not foun

you can install gnome very easily by searching for it in the Software Center

Beans

Re: trying to instal GNOME Desktop environment with extra components getting not foun

yes i know thats exactly where i am getting this message.
    Last edited by howhy; December 27th, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Most likely, I think, is an internet problem. Either your connection messing around or the server where the packages are experiencing difficulty (or something in between).

I don't know what the 59 in brackets means, but perhaps if you just try again in an hour or so it might be there again.

Incidentally, the occasional full stop and capital letter would make your post much easier to read, and make life easier for the people who might be willing to try and help you.
    Michael

Beans

i tried it again in the search now i cant even get Gnomoe in the list that says desktop enironment with extra components .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you copy the following into a terminal one at a time and post back the results (please put the results in [CODE] [/CODE] tags to make it easier to read).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Can you copy the following into a terminal one at a time and post back the results (please put the results in [CODE] [/CODE] tags to make it easier to read).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    yes you are right sudo apt-get update is the answer