Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't add more than four keyboard layouts

Beans

Re: Can't add more than four keyboard layouts

Hi, I just thought I'd beat this drum a little, too.

Also, offer my perhaps less-than expert take on it

Not to overstate the obvious (for the veterans), but, just in case a new comer is reading:

As far as I understand, Linux (/Unix) is inherently a multi-tasking, multi-user, multi-processor, multi-EVERYTHING system. In theory, in practice, in spirit and in flesh... linux software development, AFAICT, has long been manifesting this fundamental notion of no-petty-limits on any type of multiples...

I see the gnome-keyboard-layout limitation of four layouts to be extremely odd and at odds with Linux philosophy. Would you agree?

I would guess it is the result of some quirk in the development process way back when.

Also, I would think that the fix should not be that laborious: To alter code so that it handles multiplicity instead of a singularity (an array versus a scalar) could be justifiably laborious.

But to simply extend an array that is already in place (provided in the code) allowing it to hold more elements, seems like a trivial matter.

I have not taken a look at the code, not being versed in C/C++.

Has anyone out there given it a go?

Has anyone appealed directly to the developers?

It does seem very frustrating not to have the liberty to add, say, 15 distinct layouts...

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

as it was explained in this thread, it's not gnome team's fault. It's a legacy of design decisions made by X developers years years ago (you know, X - that thing on top of which all graphical interfaces are done). They hardcoded 2 bits for layout-id (which allows 4 different values) or something.
    Problem with legacy stuff which is very widespread is that it's hard to fix the problem without breaking lots of things - backwards compatibility is a bitch. Of course i agree it should be fixed but maybe developers think that the problem touches maybe few percent of users and they have more important issues.
    It's very similar to the ungodly old restriction of 4 primary partitions that often makes it a pain to easily set up multisystem machines (especially on laptops with premade multiple primary partitions in place).
    Last edited by Vaphell; April 14th, 2011 at 05:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You may take a look at my earlier post on how to workaround that restriction:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post10333055

Maybe it is finally of use for someone.

Greetings.

Beans

Smile Re: Can't add more than four keyboard layouts

no longer participating in ubuntuforums.org
    Last edited by MarkieB; April 16th, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    as it was explained in this thread, it's not gnome team's fault. It's a legacy of design decisions made by X developers years years ago (you know, X - that thing on top of which all graphical interfaces are done). They hardcoded 2 bits for layout-id (which allows 4 different values) or something.
    Problem with legacy stuff which is very widespread is that it's hard to fix the problem without breaking lots of things - backwards compatibility is a bitch...
    If it's really as you said (2 bits and stuff) then it's ugly.. I remember these times when such "optimizations" were common not only in embedded world but also in server OSes. So I can imagine why it (the limitation) is there and why it's so hard to cleanup this sh#t.

In my case I need 6 languages - damn this globalization, communication, internalization, etc. - to be smart is sooo troublesome sometimes. Can someone check/proof/ask if this nice 4-language limitation will be fixed in mentioned earlier next reincarnation of XKB? And if yes, when it will be added to common distros like ubuntu & Co.

PS: How boooooring. Even M$ Gameloader(tm) can handle more languages pretty good... I hope it will be fixed soon.

PPS: What alternatives to X with its infrastructure can be used now? I've heard about some substitution called Wayland or so. Can it handle more languages?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12