Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performance advice...

Beans

Re: Performance advice...

Quote Originally Posted by jsabina1 View Post
    Yep I've used this code..
    And as I am ... newbie.. I couldn't see it and I was getting mad
    Then I discovered that in the login page you can choose in which enviroment you want to login.
    So I think you can login back to GNOME if you don't like it.

But it's so much faster that now really I am only using lubuntu and I like it a lot!
    Acutally, if you installed over the base Ubuntu, you technically aren't actually running Lubuntu, which is a whole separated Ubuntu distro based on LXDX, what you are running is LXDE overlaid on top of the standard Unity version of Ubuntu.

I mention this, not to be overly technical, but just so if you ever need more help, you know exactly what you have

LXDE does work very nicely - you don't get quite the level of desktop integration and goodies as you have available in Gnome Classic (which is why it's nice to have access to both) but LXDE is catching up fast on features, and it's definitely quite a bit faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by p_code View Post
    Acutally, if you installed over the base Ubuntu, you technically aren't actually running Lubuntu, which is a whole separated Ubuntu distro based on LXDX, what you are running is LXDE overlaid on top of the standard Unity version of Ubuntu.

I mention this, not to be overly technical, but just so if you ever need more help, you know exactly what you have

LXDE does work very nicely - you don't get quite the level of desktop integration and goodies as you have available in Gnome Classic (which is why it's nice to have access to both) but LXDE is catching up fast on features, and it's definitely quite a bit faster.
    Thanks a lot..
    So I could have better performance reinstalling everything only using lubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thanks a lot..
    Technically it shouldn't be necessary to do a clean install, but in practice it does seem to work that way.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks a lot..
    I don't think so. Lubuntu is Ubuntu, but with LXDE instead of Unity. If you have both desktops installed but only use LXDE your computer will be running the exact same code as Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I don't think so. Lubuntu is Ubuntu, but with LXDE instead of Unity. If you have both desktops installed but only use LXDE your computer will be running the exact same code as Lubuntu.
    ok so it's not true that

"what you are running is LXDE overlaid on top of the standard Unity version of Ubuntu"

I am only trying to undertand what is the best thing to do, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12