Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by makitso View Post
    I belong to a computer club with guys with an age group of 45-74. It's interesting that quite a few are on winxp. I just sent out an email to the guys asking why; is it cost, HW, games, or what? Will post responses.
    Make sure to spread the word and invite them to Linux

Thank you for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The Difference between Microsoft and Free and Open Source Software Community is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

Important notice for users of Windows XP: To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure that you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) after support ends, to ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows, you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 8.
    you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 8
    Why?
    "Give me, one good reason, why do I have to do that as a Windows XP Users?" << this Question must be asked by Windows XP Users!

Now, seriously, why would someone upgrade to Windows 8 which almost all those who used it, did not like it. I'm puzzled!

Can't they simply say:

"you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 8 or go for other alternatives such is OSX/Linux" ?????

Of course they won't, that is why there is StartUbuntu!

And by the way, 64MB for Windows XP? seriously? that could be enough ONLY after installing Windows XP without any driver and nothing whatsoever. Try to install more stuff and the machine will die!

Sigh, I wish I could edit their link and add "Linux"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by makitso View Post
    I belong to a computer club with guys with an age group of 45-74. It's interesting that quite a few are on winxp. I just sent out an email to the guys asking why; is it cost, HW, games, or what? Will post responses.
    I can't wait for your post about the responses

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Why?
    "Give me, one good reason, why do I have to do that as a Windows XP Users?" << this Question must be asked by Windows XP Users!

Now, seriously, why would someone upgrade to Windows 8 which almost all those who used it, did not like it. I'm puzzled!

Can't they simply say:

"you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 8 or go for other alternatives such is OSX/Linux" ?????

Of course they won't, that is why there is StartUbuntu!
    It would make no sense for Microsoft to push competitors such as Mac OS X or Ubuntu. Why would Microsoft do that?

I don't really understand your objection here. Of course you don't get security updates for an outdated operating system. Ubuntu 5.04 users don't get security updates, nor do Ubuntu 9.10 users. If you want security updates, you have to use a recent version of the operating system. Microsoft still offers security updates for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. If someone wanted to stay with Windows, I'd recommend her jumping from XP to Windows 7 (I'm not a fan of Windows 8).

Only if she expressed interest in trying something new (without any prompting from me or some Linux zealot) would I recommend Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It would make no sense for Microsoft to push competitors such as Mac OS X or Ubuntu. Why would Microsoft do that?
    I do know that

I don't really understand your objection here.
    Maybe because you don't know my way of being sarcastic at Microsoft

Of course you don't get security updates for an outdated operating system. Ubuntu 5.04 users don't get security updates, nor do Ubuntu 9.10 users. If you want security updates, you have to use a recent version of the operating system. Microsoft still offers security updates for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. If someone wanted to stay with Windows, I'd recommend her jumping from XP to Windows 7 (I'm not a fan of Windows 8).
    You really think I don't know that?

Only if she expressed interest in trying something new (without any prompting from me or some Linux zealot) would I recommend Linux.
    She? who is she?

Edit:
    I posted my previous post and quoted Microsoft's Link to support our cause, nothing more, nothing less
    Hope it is clear now!
    Last edited by amjjawad; September 18th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    If someone wanted to stay with Windows, I'd recommend her jumping from XP to Windows 7 (I'm not a fan of Windows 8).

That goes without saying. But many people are on Windows not necessary because they *want* to stay with Windows, just because it comes with their computers. I think those are the people the campaign targets. My question to amjjwad is that perhaps not too many people like that are still on XP unless they have pre vista hardware and some of which would be painful to run current versions of Ubuntu (Ram is part of it, but also unsupported graphic drivers and kernel dropping support for old hardware etc)

I have made some recommendations for friends etc, but I don't target specially Windows XP users (I have had some success in switching people from Vista to Lubuntu, but I don't really know anyone still on XP, except my brother, but he uses it for very special reasons, and a few people with hardware so old that I wouldn't even bother). It is actually easier than you think to get people off Windows, many have $ would easily switch to Mac even though they don't use it for anything special. The problem with Linux is that they have to install it themselves or someone (like me) would have to install it for them, and it is not always easy to find people who know how to support Linux in their vicinity, so, if they can't afford a Mac they would just upgrade Windows or buy a new Windows machine.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 18th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    The bulk of XP hold-outs are those companies that didn't want the expense of upgrading and licensing a new OS for multiply computers. I used to support a few law firms and they would put a paralegal behind anything that would still boot and run WordPerfect. The only part of my previous business that I still support is the real estate appraisal part. These computers run software that won't port to Linux. Most of these computers are updates that can easily run Win 7 or 8. They upgraded their hardware as needed and continued to use their XP Pro license. There have been times that some of these businesses would have been open to a Linux conversion but without the software it's a dead deal. Oddly, many of these programs in question are narrow in scope such as "Appraise-it" and could easily be ported to Linux. Somehow there has to be a wholesale demand for the conversion and porting. Most companies that use Linux on a large scale have used their own corporate programmers to create what we use today. That is what we need more of for Linux to move forward, corporate intervention. It is possible that the next few releases of Ubuntu will be sophisticated enought to attract that intervention. Even Saucy running x-mir beats anything that I have ever used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I recently tried to convert two senior users to Ubuntu. The clients are the age group of 65-70. Hours and hours of tutoring (free) and there is no way I could get them to even try to understand Ubuntu Operating system. A large percentage of seniors in North America (and clients that I know) like to play Pogo Games online. That takes Java. Ubuntu has Java in the USC but it is really hard to get it stable. One little burp or glitch and they (potential Ubuntu converts) want nothing to do with Ubuntu, but, they are willing to sign over their machines to Java running on Vista or 7 with all of it's known malware.

I have had greater success tutoring Ubuntu to women in the field of Education. They just love it. (Ubuntu).

The bottom line is that if an end_user is not willing to learn or spend some time reading up, doing searches or is enthusiastic about learning Ubuntu - then - forget it. It is just not going to happen. And it's not about teaching old dogs new tricks either. It is just that some end_users become so ingrained following one set of commands for so long that it is almost like learning a new language when trying to convert to a different OS.

However .. with the economy the way it is and the XP eol on the doorstep, perhaps people will be more willing to give Ubuntu a spin. I still do installs of Lucid for people. The repos are still open as is the USC although there are not any new security updates (like really this matters eh - I have Lucid Installs that haven't even hiccuped since the original install).

Also for senior users (or potential converts) is that they are shy (or scared) of how Unity works. It confuses them right off and if they see an error pop-up after a re-boot they immediately get frustrated and impatient with it. It is because of this required learning curve that I am wary of who I will spend time teaching Ubuntu to in the field.

Personally I have had tremendous success with Ubuntu but when taking up new converts I have to give myself a reality check and ask myself how much time I have to babysit those installs. In Ubuntu's favor the help data base is so vast that it is relatively easy to solve big problems. I think one of the core philosophies of Ubuntu concept is that we have to give it away to keep it...and so I do and I will.

..also .. on a side note .. this WinXP eol situation is an opportunity for Canonical to really get out there and hone their marketing skills . It could be the big paradigm that will level the playing field.

Regards...
    Last edited by ventrical; September 20th, 2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: edited 'filed' back to 'field' :(

Beans
    Hidden!

+1

This is close to my experience, maybe with the difference, that I focus more on the light-weight flavours Lubuntu and Xubuntu, particularly for old hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I had Raring with Mate desktop running just fine on a PIII 750MHz... but it was getting there that was the task.

Regards..

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast