Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goals for 2007!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Goals for 2007!

I wanted to start a thread to discuss some of our team goals.

These are a few things I would like to see:

Spreading Ubuntu - Ubuntu Activism
    This is a suggested list from the Ubuntu wiki:
    Suggested activities
    • Attend conferences near you and hand out Ubuntu CDs. See UbuntuAtConferences for more information.
    • Carry CDs with you at all times!
    • Organize installfests.
    • Collect local success stories (e.g., case studies of organisations that are using Ubuntu) and submit them to Canonical for inclusion in a new website section of success stories.
    • Start an UbuntuFriendlyHardwareSuppliers initiative
    • Sign up for Software Freedom Day, 16 September 2006 and help promote free software and Ubuntu!
    • Beer drinking
    • Barbeque
    • Lectures by local and international developers/community members

Becoming an approved LoCo Team
    Becomming an approved team will make us eligible for certain benefits such as marketing materials, discounts or possibilities. An approved team is also considered officially by the Ubuntu project.

What we need to work on:
    • Road map- Do you have an idea of what you want to achieve and which projects the group should work on?

This is one area I would like to discuss. What projects would we like to tackle?
    • Experience - What have you done so far? Have you done any advocacy, translations, exhibitions, support or other activities?
    Our contributions as a team, and individually will be documented on wiki page.

Inter LoCo Team Collaboration

There are projects our neighboring teams, and the Columbus Team are working on that would be beneficial to everyone. Keep an eye out for opportunities for us to collaborate.

These are just a few things to start the discussion with.
    Please share any thoughts you have!
    Last edited by Vorian; November 26th, 2006 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Goals for the Ohio Team

Hm. Interesting. My situation will be tough in regards to conferences or whatnot, due to my crappy work hours (mon - sat 9am to 6pm basicly) But... I can start off with my family. Let them try out ubuntu. Doing things like this is something I have wanted to do for a while. I fully support open source, and I do dislike the monopoly MS has on OS's (specially that clause in the Vista EULA about reinstallation limitations, but thats not a discussion for this forum)

I have one question though. When i distribute discs, I know those people will first come to me for help resolving problems. Thats fine with me, however, I am still a linux noob. When it comes to PC issues, I'm set as I consider myself a PC Technician (im going to start getting my A+, Net+ and MS Certifications in February after my wedding). I dont wanna sound like an idiot and pass out discs, they have an issue, and im unable to help them with a linux issue. I can always point them toward these forums, but will that sound kinda cheapo or something? Just a thought I had.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheElite1x721987 View Post
    Hm. Interesting. My situation will be tough in regards to conferences or whatnot, due to my crappy work hours (mon - sat 9am to 6pm basicly) But... I can start off with my family. Let them try out ubuntu. Doing things like this is something I have wanted to do for a while. I fully support open source, and I do dislike the monopoly MS has on OS's (specially that clause in the Vista EULA about reinstallation limitations, but thats not a discussion for this forum)
    Anything you feel like contributing to the team will be happily accepted. Just participating and initiating conversation about Ubuntu/Linux/Open Source will better our Ohio community.

Quote Originally Posted by TheElite1x721987 View Post
    I have one question though. When i distribute discs, I know those people will first come to me for help resolving problems. Thats fine with me, however, I am still a linux noob. When it comes to PC issues, I'm set as I consider myself a PC Technician (im going to start getting my A+, Net+ and MS Certifications in February after my wedding). I dont wanna sound like an idiot and pass out discs, they have an issue, and im unable to help them with a linux issue. I can always point them toward these forums, but will that sound kinda cheapo or something? Just a thought I had.
    When you distribute Ubuntu discs, you have the entire UF community to help you out. Everyone here had their first ubuntu install, and first 100 questions on "why my wifi won't work, scrolling on touch pad won't work etc.." I think its great to direct people to the forums, it's a great community. Have them try out the live CD. When I have people try the live CD, I get two reactions 1. Why is everything brown? 2. This is awesome! Your #2 people will be Linux converts and most likely will be willing to put in the effort to figure it out themselves. Most of all, let people know what your experience has been with Ubuntu. That's my two cents.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ah. Thats answers my question then Thanks.

I think I'm first going to get my dad to try out Ubuntu. He seemed willing to give something new a shot. My sister will be my next convert. LOL I'll simply inform them to visit the Forums after the Live CD comes on for support (provided I can't help um while I'm there)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've been thinking about this all night. The Akron / Barberton area isn't exactly a hotbed of cutting edge computer technology. The computer guys I knew growing up in Wadsworth in the 80's aleady use Linux / Unix. So, I am having breakfast with the one tomorow morning. I am going to talk to him about the local 'scene', as is were. He is an IT supervisor at Cleveland Clinic, so I'm certain he has some good thoughts. Perhaps, he may even join our team. You never know.

I know that our local library allows people to put up displays in their showcase. I think I'll work on putting together an Ubuntu Linux display. History of Linux and Ubuntu, etc. Leave the disks I have out for people to take and try, or leave them with fliers of how to contact me for the disks. That might be better, eh?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by steven8 View Post
    I've been thinking about this all night. The Akron / Barberton area isn't exactly a hotbed of cutting edge computer technology. The computer guys I knew growing up in Wadsworth in the 80's aleady use Linux / Unix. So, I am having breakfast with the one tomorow morning. I am going to talk to him about the local 'scene', as is were. He is an IT supervisor at Cleveland Clinic, so I'm certain he has some good thoughts. Perhaps, he may even join our team. You never know.

I know that our local library allows people to put up displays in their showcase. I think I'll work on putting together an Ubuntu Linux display. History of Linux and Ubuntu, etc. Leave the disks I have out for people to take and try, or leave them with fliers of how to contact me for the disks. That might be better, eh?
    That is a wonderful idea. I am well-connected with some librarians in our county, so I could also possibly get some displays in motion in a few of the libraries down here. I'm thinking of putting out, as you said, some fliers, and also a poster or two at the displays. What would be some of the positive things about Ubuntu that we could use to catch someone's eye right of the bat and keep them interested? I'm not the most creative person when it comes to catch-phrases, so hopefully someone else could come up with a few.
    -Ruby/Rails Enthusiast-
    Registered Linux User #432824 | Registered Ubuntu User #8722

Beans
    Distro

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by _lynX View Post
    That is a wonderful idea. I am well-connected with some librarians in our county, so I could also possibly get some displays in motion in a few of the libraries down here. I'm thinking of putting out, as you said, some fliers, and also a poster or two at the displays. What would be some of the positive things about Ubuntu that we could use to catch someone's eye right of the bat and keep them interested? I'm not the most creative person when it comes to catch-phrases, so hopefully someone else could come up with a few.
    I'm in on getting some distribution sites - I have a couple of places in mind that I'm sure will be happy to set up display.

This is what Jozef has done in the North East team
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186372

There are some great brochures and cd stands on the wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing

Do you guys have CD's?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Vorian View Post
    Great Idea!

I'm in on getting some distribution sites - I have a couple of places in mind that I'm sure will be happy to set up display.

This is what Jozef has done in the North East team
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186372

There are some great brochures and cd stands on the wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DIYMarketing

Do you guys have CD's?
    Thanks for the links. As of right now, I don't have any CDs, but I plan on ordering some here soon. Should I distribute Dapper or Edgy, or both?
    -Ruby/Rails Enthusiast-
    Registered Linux User #432824 | Registered Ubuntu User #8722

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am going to distribute Dapper, as it is the long term support, but make people aware of Edgy if they wish to try it out.

Beans
    Distro

I am going to distribute Dapper, as it is the long term support, but make people aware of Edgy if they wish to try it out.
    Right on!

That's what I hand to people (and Breezy depending on experience level)

Does someone want to run point on setting up/ gathering/ and documenting distribution locations in Ohio? If so send me a PM or email me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast