Page 45 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickVogeli View Post
    Hi, sure, I'll try to help:

Download the alsa-drivers 1.0.21 from here: ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive...1.0.21.tar.bz2

Extract them, and to build and install:
    Code:
    cd path/to/extracted/folder
    ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    make
    sudo make install
    Reboot and you should be fine. You may have to install some development tools, like build-essential and so on. If you need further assistance jus tell me, and I'll try to explain a bit better.
    Didn't work on my 3810T

Beans

I just wanted to chime in with my 2cents

I downloaded the release candidate a few days ago and have been using it as a live USB since then. I have an 8310 with the SU 9400. It is pretty snappy with Ubuntu's default settings. I like much better than Hardy on my Thinkpad T61.

There is a deal breaker for me, however. The battery life is abysmal. There is a 4 hour difference between the Vista install and Karmic. I got more than 7 hours running Vista at school, working online and browsing the intertubes. I was shocked to see the estimated battery life in Karmic at a little over 3.5 hours. I was more shocked to see that it was actually a little under 3.5 hours doing similar tasks.

I saw a post about this issue a few pages back, and I am aware that there is usually a slight sacrifice, but it has never been like that. Even the Asus 1000HE, with special windows-centric hacks to improve battery life only gave up 2 of the 7 hours. This will not work at all. I have no idea what the deal is, and I will do a little digging, but this has to change before I will even consider Karmic. I spent a lot of money on a laptop specifically for the balance between performance and battery life. I think this needs some attention, so I posted here. I know a lot of people smarter than me are watching this thread, hopefully we can come up with something.

Edit: I forgot to mention the mousepad sensitivity. For me, I have to flip the bird in order to use it. If another finger gets within an inch of the touchpad, the thing goes nuts.

Thanks for listening/reading!

JTS
    Last edited by jimmy the saint; October 30th, 2009 at 02:19 AM.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Jimmy, i'm agree with you in everything. Those Are the same considerations i Made...
    It's not acceptable in 2009 to have not battery life and S3...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    Didn't work on my 3810T
    didn't work for me, too. to the contrary: the possibility to change the input source in alsamixer has gone now. is it possible to change it back?
    Last edited by schonni; October 30th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by schonni View Post
    didn't work for me, too. to the contrary: the possibility to change the input source in alsamixer has gone now. is it possible to change it back?
    I just installed the released karmic. It was time to cleanup my installation anyway. I tried removing it, but it wanted to uninstall (x)ubuntu-desktop too, though you could reinstall the desktop again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Any particular improvements with the latest version? Anything you had to manually fix?

I just installed the released karmic. It was time to cleanup my installation anyway. I tried removing it, but it wanted to uninstall (x)ubuntu-desktop too, though you could reinstall the desktop again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    Any particular improvements with the latest version? Anything you had to manually fix?
    Now I also don't have bluetooth in my notification area or settings menu (haven't tried to fix it yet). Sound isn't muted after reboot anymore, but that only bugged me in xubuntu. I haven't used the new installation much yet, so I can't say anything about battery life. If you haven't somehow wrecked your karmic (from alpha, beta or rc) there's no reason to reinstall, not that I noticed anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Can you run powertop on batteries and see what is the power consumption in Watts?

Now I also don't have bluetooth in my notification area or settings menu (haven't tried to fix it yet). Sound isn't muted after reboot anymore, but that only bugged me in xubuntu. I haven't used the new installation much yet, so I can't say anything about battery life. If you haven't somehow wrecked your karmic (from alpha, beta or rc) there's no reason to reinstall, not that I noticed anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    Can you run powertop on batteries and see what is the power consumption in Watts?
    I never really used powertop, didn't make a significant difference for me. Power use is the same as in the alphas and beta (judging by the mA I'm sucking out of the battery).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey guys, i just installed 9.10 upgrade option on my laptop. I wanted to note here that all of my external displays are working perfectly.

With both 9.04 and win7 i was unable to get these displays 1440x900 and 1680x1050 to function at native resolution. I used these displays one at a time not all at the same time.

9.10 immediately recognizes the displays and lets me add them in the "displays" option.

This is on a 3810tz (su2700, with intel graphics I believe).

Additionally, the excessive flickering at boot seem to have gone away, though I have only booted up this machine a few times.

dan

Page 45 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast