Page 7 of 100 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by Ususbuntung View Post
    Hi all,
    - with Jaunty, 4 GB mem shows only 2.9, using free
    Regards
    Could it be you're not using the 64-bit version of Jaunty? 32-bit operating systems can address a maxium of 3GB of RAM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tocharius View Post
    I have a problem with the audio on my 3810T as well. It used to work out of the box with a fresh Ubuntu 9.04, but it doesn't work anymore after installing the latest updates.
    Is there a way to reset alsa, or what else should I try?

I have an Acer Aspire 3935 and had the same problem after updating the kernel. I found a solution to fix it ( its the same as the Acer Aspire one microphone fix taken from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AA1/Fixes )

Download ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/drive...1.0.20.tar.bz2
    Extract it somewhere then open the terminal and enter the folder
    then type the following;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    ./configure --with-cards=all
    make
    sudo make install
    Reboot and set your audio levels and make sure everything is unmuted.

That's it.

Hope it helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

Is this the model with integrated Intel graphics card or with discrete ATI graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetnce View Post
    I just put a Live CD into my 4810 and it's worked like a dream: sound, wifi without a problem. I've now just got to get it to install without upsetting windows and everything will be fine and dandy.

Anyone who could link me to information regarding installing ubuntu (9.04) without upsetting my windows installation, that would be much appreciated. My plan is to have 3 partitions: Vista, Jaunty and a Data partition that both ubuntu and windows can read...

Incidentally, I can upgrade to Windows 7 today, acording to information that came with my timeline... I might give it a try.
    ["Turn off touchpad" button works, but you can't turn touchpad back on...]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

hi guys!

im planning on getting a acer timeline 3810T.. but i dunno if i should get the core2duo version which kosts 120-220eur more than the core solo version..

i dont want the ati card.. i hate fglrx so much after years of using it

please please please!

tell me your experiences with both versions.. how is the performance (perhaps in comparison to other pcs you have owned & used like netbooks, other notebooks with better hardware).. is the solo really that damn slow? i read about some user comments whining 'bout its so slow .. but hey they ran vista..

even my core2duo P8600 with 4GB ram is sometimes a real pain with vista compared to ubuntu which feels muchmuch faster.

then next, PLEASE anyone.. time your battery life! really.. its so important for so many people including me (and the main point in getting this laptop)

a reallife example would be 30-40% display brightness and wlan on.. doing some easy stuff.. like surfing etc..

i think that would be the most important measurement for batterylife..

sorry for being a littlebit offtopic..

and thanks to everybody giving me answers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    Hi,

Is this the model with integrated Intel graphics card or with discrete ATI graphics card?
    Integrated graphics version, I think...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cucisan View Post
    hi guys!

im planning on getting a acer timeline 3810T.. but i dunno if i should get the core2duo version which kosts 120-220eur more than the core solo version..

i dont want the ati card.. i hate fglrx so much after years of using it

please please please!

tell me your experiences with both versions.. how is the performance (perhaps in comparison to other pcs you have owned & used like netbooks, other notebooks with better hardware).. is the solo really that damn slow? i read about some user comments whining 'bout its so slow .. but hey they ran vista..

even my core2duo P8600 with 4GB ram is sometimes a real pain with vista compared to ubuntu which feels muchmuch faster.

then next, PLEASE anyone.. time your battery life! really.. its so important for so many people including me (and the main point in getting this laptop)

a reallife example would be 30-40% display brightness and wlan on.. doing some easy stuff.. like surfing etc..

i think that would be the most important measurement for batterylife..

sorry for being a littlebit offtopic..

and thanks to everybody giving me answers
    Personally I think the mobile core solo is a pointless CPU. If I wouldn't need the performance of a core duo I'd get a laptop with an Atom. The Atom is a single core too, but at least it's got hyper threading. ASUS and Acer both have Atom laptops with great battery live and 11.6" LED back lit 1366x768 screens.

Here are some links to compare the CPU's :
    Intel Core2 Solo SU3500
    Intel Core2 Duo SU9400
    Intel Atom Z520

As for battery life I've read from several users and review sites that it lasts 8½ to over 10 hours if the laptop is on and doing nothing. If you ramp up the power you use to the max it lasts about 2½ to 3 hours (full brightness, wireless on, cpu @ 100%, disk continuously reading/writing, etc.).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    As for battery life I've read from several users and review sites that it lasts 8½ to over 10 hours if the laptop is on and doing nothing. If you ramp up the power you use to the max it lasts about 2½ to 3 hours (full brightness, wireless on, cpu @ 100%, disk continuously reading/writing, etc.).
    Were those websites and users using windows or linux? I doubt I've got anywhere near 8 hours with ubuntu yet. (I haven't tried to get into optimising battery performance yet, so I'm not saying it isn't possible...)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetnce View Post
    Were those websites and users using windows or linux? I doubt I've got anywhere near 8 hours with ubuntu yet. (I haven't tried to get into optimising battery performance yet, so I'm not saying it isn't possible...)
    Windows, but as I said it's when the laptop is doing nothing, just sitting there waiting for the battery to run out. I don't think windows users will get to 8 hours either. Even if you're only reading web pages there are always flash adds and

animations sucking juice from the battery. It's almost impossible to say how long a battery lasts for someone. But if you know what the max and min battery life is, you can figure out how long it will last you for your usage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My point was that the default power management options on the pre-installed Vista are more sophisticated than for Ubuntu. So out of the box you'll get better battery life on windows. If anyone knows any more about this please do share.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    Personally I think the mobile core solo is a pointless CPU. If I wouldn't need the performance of a core duo I'd get a laptop with an Atom. The Atom is a single core too, but at least it's got hyper threading. ASUS and Acer both have Atom laptops with great battery live and 11.6" LED back lit 1366x768 screens.

well .. i think the core solo MAY be a good choice.. because its cheap and seems to be a nice alternative to those atoms brrr
    but i never had the chance to test a system with that cpu
    so i hoped for some answers here...

the acers with 11.6" -> intel gma500 (wtf?)... gl hf.. search for adamw.. he said everything that has to be said
    it costs only 100eur less then the acer with coresolo.. but i get much more from the timeline (specs + doubled warranty!)
    i like asus but not their netbooks.. design horrible mixed with good batterylifetime or vice versa.. no thanks
    i tried netbooks -alot.. they suck so much for how much they cost and the screens are too small for my eyes

nevertheless thanks for the links

Page 7 of 100 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast