Page 112 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1202

Thread: Wubi megathread

Beans

Re: Wubi megathread

Having had multiples of NTLDR, MBR, GRUB issues, a repair is fairly easy once inside of the Windows environment. Please download MBRFIX from http://www.sysint.no/products/Downlo...S/Default.aspx Scroll down until you see MbrFix. The download link is on the right side of it's container and just looks like text "DOWNLOAD".

NOTE: Make sure you have administrative rights or are running this binary as the Administrator. You may want to turn off User Account Control in your user settings so you do not get blocked from running it. Sometimes it does it, some times not.

The archive contains both 32 and 64 bit binaries for the utility and using 64bit over 32bit makes absolutely no difference. I usually place mine in C:\Windows\System32 (Windows bin folder) and that makes it immediately available as a system command;
    Code:
    mbrfix
    There is documentation online here http://www.sysint.no/nedlasting/mbrfix.htm or you can just type
    Code:
    mbrfix
    into a Windows command prompt and you will get this command information output with all the command switches;
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Moseley>mbrfix
    MbrFix.exe      Copyright (C) 2004-2009 Systemintegrasjon AS
                    http://www.sysint.no
    Usage:
    MbrFix /drive <num> { command } { /yes } { /verbose }

Commands:
    MbrFix /?                                  Display help page and license
    MbrFix /drive <num> driveinfo              Display drive information
    MbrFix /drive <num> drivesize              Returns size in MB as return value
    MbrFix /drive <num> listpartitions         Display partition information
    MbrFix /drive <num> savembr <file>         Save MBR and partitions to file
    MbrFix /drive <num> restorembr <file>      Restore MBR and partitions from file
    MbrFix /drive <num> fixmbr {/vista|/win7}  Update MBR to W2K/XP/2003 (default),
                                               Vista or Windows 7
    MbrFix /drive <num> clean                  Delete all partitions on drive
    MbrFix /drive <num> readsignature {/byte}  Read disk signature from MBR
    MbrFix /drive <num> generatesignature      Generate disk signature in MBR
    MbrFix /drive <num> writesignature <bytes> Write disk signature in MBR
    MbrFix /drive <num> readstate              Read state from byte 0x1b2 in MBR
    MbrFix /drive <num> writestate <state>     Write state to byte 0x1b2 in MBR
    MbrFix /drive <num> readdrive <startsector> <sectorcount> <file>
                                               Save sectors from drive to file
    MbrFix /drive <num> /partition <part> fixbootsector <os>
                                               Update Boot code in boot sector
    MbrFix /drive <num> /partition <part> getpartitiontype
                                               Get partition type
    MbrFix /drive <num> /partition <part> setpartitiontype <typenum>
                                               Set partition type
    MbrFix /drive <num> /partition <part> setactivepartition
                                               Set active partition
    MbrFix /drive <num> getactivepartition     Get active partition
    MbrFix volumeinformation driveletter       Get volume information for partition
    MbrFix flush {driveletter(s)}              Flush files to disk for partition
    MbrFix listpartitiontypes                  List partition types

C:\Users\Moseley>
    So to fix your first drive, open a command prompt from Start>All Applications>Accessories>Command Prompt and type;
    Code:
    mbrfix /drive 0 fixmbr
    This will correct the master boot record for that drive. I have never had an issue with it, nor any damaging effect, only corrected boot records.
    I hope this helps anyone in need.
    Last edited by moseley; January 8th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: Wubi megathread

I have problem installing ubuntu with wubi. My pc is old asus a2hl2500 (maybe) 1.8Ghz, 512mb (usable ~400) intel video integrated.

Also I try kubuntu, and get some problem.

My problem is in the video, when pc rebooted and loading. Also when
    booting writing: Erorr CWAP or smth.

Please help. I try old ubuntu from boot cd, and it also not booted loading loading, and erorrs
    http://www.2shared.com/video/8P-Awbl...11_214854.html

If you not see video: problem is that when I see mouse, screen refreshing a lot of times. And I not see desktop.

Beans

I've been having issues with my sound ever since I installed Wubi onto my Windows 7 machine(laptop). I installed Wubi and for some reason audio can only be heard from the Ubuntu OS and not the Windows 7. Any help here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pauleee View Post
    I have problem installing ubuntu with wubi. My pc is old asus a2hl2500 (maybe) 1.8Ghz, 512mb (usable ~400) intel video integrated.

Also I try kubuntu, and get some problem.

My problem is in the video, when pc rebooted and loading. Also when
    booting writing: Erorr CWAP or smth.

Please help. I try old ubuntu from boot cd, and it also not booted loading loading, and erorrs
    http://www.2shared.com/video/8P-Awbl...11_214854.html

If you not see video: problem is that when I see mouse, screen refreshing a lot of times. And I not see desktop.
    Have you tried booting with nomodeset?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeiamanoob View Post
    I've been having issues with my sound ever since I installed Wubi onto my Windows 7 machine(laptop). I installed Wubi and for some reason audio can only be heard from the Ubuntu OS and not the Windows 7. Any help here?
    Please mention your computer specs (brand, model, etc. if you know the sound card that as well). I haven't really heard of this problem before, but it won't be specific to a Wubi install so you can search around if anyone else had this problem as well.

You can also go to the device manager in Windows and check the sound card device, see if it's enabled, can be updated etc.

Beans

fixed **** edit***
    Last edited by pencilhero; January 31st, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

Beans

I just installed Ubuntu on my computer with Wubi, everything went great. Except; the password and username I set with Wubi do not work. I can't log in with it when i boot up Ubuntu. I can log into a Guest account. But I have no clue what my Root password is. It's not the one i set with Wubi. Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to fix it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes other people have had this problem. Sometimes it's the result of confusion.

Wubi is set up to use your "Windows account name" as the presentation name. It still uses the username you provided on the Wubi installation screen under the covers. So make sure you're entering the password that goes with the Wubi username, not the Windows account password.

If that still doesn't solve your issue, then boot up, select Ubuntu and immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Grub menu appears. Then select "Advanced Options", then the second "Recovery mode", then, "Remount read/write", then "Root prompt", and then you can change your password with:

Code:
    passwd username
    (Where username is the one you selected for Ubuntu. If you're not sure this will remind you:

Code:
    ls /home
    Then enter your new password. Then "exit" and "Resume normal boot".

Beans

Thank you bcbc. But I just am going to install Ubuntu on my separate drive with a CD installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Piersadept View Post
    Thank you bcbc. But I just am going to install Ubuntu on my separate drive with a CD installation.
    Great! That's a good plan.

If it's an external drive that won't always be available, make sure you install the grub bootloader on the separate drive, not your internal. Otherwise, you'll always need the drive plugged in to boot.

Enjoy!

Page 112 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast