Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make festival TTS use better voices (MBROLA / CMU / HTS)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Make festival TTS use better voices (MBROLA / CMU / HTS)

Alright, the HOWTO is updated. Took me a bit because I had to set up a VM with Dapper on it. The build process should work for all flavors of Ubuntu (tested only on Dapper and Hardy though).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ok, great work, MonkeeSage. I removed all earlier festival packages and installed it from source, this is the problem that came up after I tried to add the nitech voices.

SIOD ERROR: could not open file /usr/share/festival/dicts/cmu/cmulex.scm
    closing a file left open: /usr/share/festival/voices/english/us1_mbrola/festvox/us1_mbrola.scm
    closing a file left open: /usr/share/festival/init.scm
    festival: fatal error exiting.
    Cheers, I could run the festival without any prb before I started to add the voices.

You rock! Keep up the work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ok, I solved it, I just downloaded the festlex-cmu package and installed it. Now everything works!

This will come handy when I ned to study pdf documents.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Debuggern View Post
    Ok, I solved it, I just downloaded the festlex-cmu package and installed it. Now everything works!

This will come handy when I ned to study pdf documents.

Cheers!
    Glad you got it sorted!

Ps. festlex-cmu and festlex-poslex are listed in the requirements in the introduction section, but when you removed festival apt probably removed them as well since they depend on it. You can just install them from apt, you don't need to install them from source.

Pss. Since the HOWTO builds a backport of festival from official Ununtu sources, you don't actually have to remove any previous installations -- apt will upgrade them automatically. I've make a note of that in the HOWTO, and added a line to ensure the festlex-* packages are installed.

Regards,
    Jordan
    Last edited by MonkeeSage; April 17th, 2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: updated HOWTO
    [People] are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds. (John Oman, Grace and Personality [New York: Macmillan, 1925], p. 38).

Beans

Please tell me, how did you remove the earlier festival packages? I just started to use Ubuntu about a month ago. I don't know which command to remove the earlier package.

After I install the standard Festvox diphone voices and the enhanced MBROLA voices. I get this error when I try to test the voice.

I typed command 'festival' in the Terminal, and it showed this error:

closing a file left open: /usr/share/festival/voices/english/ked_diphone/festvox/ked_diphone.scm

Please help me! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Debuggern View Post
    Ok, great work, MonkeeSage. I removed all earlier festival packages and installed it from source, this is the problem that came up after I tried to add the nitech voices.

Cheers, I could run the festival without any prb before I started to add the voices.

You rock! Keep up the work!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AcuraCoupe View Post
    Please tell me, how did you remove the earlier festival packages? I just started to use Ubuntu about a month ago. I don't know which command to remove the earlier package.

After I install the standard Festvox diphone voices and the enhanced MBROLA voices. I get this error when I try to test the voice.

I typed command 'festival' in the Terminal, and it showed this error:

closing a file left open: /usr/share/festival/voices/english/ked_diphone/festvox/ked_diphone.scm

Please help me! Thanks.

Hi there. From a terminal window. type this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install festlex-poslex festlex-cmu

Say yes if it requires some other pckages as well.

Now festival should work for you.
    [People] are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds. (John Oman, Grace and Personality [New York: Macmillan, 1925], p. 38).

Beans

I typed this command in the Terminal and it displayed:
    festlex-poslex is already the newest version.
    festlex-cmu is already the newest version.

I still have the same error when I typed this command 'festival' in Terminal.

/usr/share/festival/dicts/ has only 1 folder named 'oald'. I don't see 'cmu' or other folder or file. There are 6 files inside 'oald' folder: all.scm, cuvoald710-0.2.scm, oald-0.4.out, oald_extensions.scm, oaldlex.scm, oald_lts_rules.scm

I have 2 voices folder in /usr/share/festival/voices : english and us. The 'english' folder have the Festvox diphone voices and MBROLA voices , and the 'us' folder has HTS voices.

'festival --version' command tell me that I currently have
    festival: Festival Speech Synthesis System: 1.4.3:release Jan 2003

How can I completely remove the festival 1.4.3 version? So I can install Festival 1.96 from source.

Thank You.
    Last edited by AcuraCoupe; April 21st, 2008 at 04:12 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AcuraCoupe View Post
    I typed this command in the Terminal and it displayed:
    festlex-poslex is already the newest version.
    festlex-cmu is already the newest version.

I still have the same error when I typed this command 'festival' in Terminal.

I have 2 voices folder in /usr/share/festival/voices : english and us. I installed the Festvox diphone voices and MBROLA voices inside the 'english' folder, and HTS voices to 'us' folder.

'festival --version' command tell me that I currently have
    festival: Festival Speech Synthesis System: 1.4.3:release Jan 2003

How can I completely remove the festival 1.4.3 version? So I can install Festival 1.96 from source.

Thank You.

Hmm. That's odd. Ok, well, to remove everything, use this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get pruge festival festival-doc festival-dev festlex-poslex festlex-cmu festvox-don festvox-rablpc16k festvox-rablpc8k festvox-kallpc16k festvox-kallpc8k festvox-kdlpc16k festvox-kdlpc8k libestools1.2 libestools1.2-dev

This should remove eveything related to festival from your system. After that, try following the HOWTO at every step. If you still have a problem please let me know and I'll try to help you further. Good luck!

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-get pruge festival festival-doc festival-dev festlex-poslex festlex-cmu festvox-don festvox-rablpc16k festvox-rablpc8k festvox-kallpc16k festvox-kallpc8k festvox-kdlpc16k festvox-kdlpc8k libestools1.2 libestools1.2-dev
    It gave me this error:
    Code:
    E: Invalid operation pruge
    Help Please! Thanks.

Beans

Hmmmm....that's weird. OK. Try this instead:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove festival festival-doc festival-dev festlex-poslex festlex-cmu festvox-don festvox-rablpc16k festvox-rablpc8k festvox-kallpc16k festvox-kallpc8k festvox-kdlpc16k festvox-kdlpc8k libestools1.2 libestools1.2-dev
    Can you tell me the output of this command:

Code:
    lsb_release -drc

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast