Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Beans

Re: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Quote Originally Posted by mstratman View Post
    I added some rudimentary support for the MT protocol to part of the elantech kernel driver (among other changes) ( https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27442 ). It affects the newer Samsung laptops.

Your Xorg driver appears to work with it. Cheers.
    Well, at a glance anyway. I haven't yet done extensive testing.
    Sweet, nice work!

A couple of questions:
    * These newer Samsungs (the ones for which the MT-capable part of elantech) have a single touchpad with no clickable buttons... does this mean I want your has_integrated_button() in capabilities.c to return 1? And more importantly, what's this for and what will it affect? (sorry if that's a dumb question - i'm kind of new to this touchpad stuff).
    From what I understand, yes. However, I do not check that value, the driver depends on the user to configure that.

* Is two-finger click and drag (i.e. click with one finger, move other finger to drag) supposed to work with your Xorg driver? And if not, is this outside of the scope of what it should be doing; or simply not (yet) implemented?
    If it is supposed to work, any ideas why it might not be working?
    Yes, this functionality works with this driver. I use it all the time. I'll have to give it some thought when it's not 2 AM. Compiling the driver with debugging output would help to pinpoint it, though.
    Gentoo Developer Extraordinaire

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Helios747 View Post
    Just one question, which option would change overall sensitivity of the trackpad?
    There's no sensitivity adjustment in the driver. That's something I intend to add in the next. I find the acceleration controls work well enough for the moment, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ah. well let us know when that happens! I would love that option in my xorg file.

In the mean time, is there some variable I can tweak in the source code and recompile? Or do I just have to wait? I think I remember some multitouch driver (that I tried recently) where I could modify the sensitivity in some .c file and recompile.

Beans

Ah. well let us know when that happens! I would love that option in my xorg file.

In the mean time, is there some variable I can tweak in the source code and recompile? Or do I just have to wait? I think I remember some multitouch driver (that I tried recently) where I could modify the sensitivity in some .c file and recompile.
    I merged support for sensitivity into the dev branch today. The xorg.conf option is "Sensitivity" and it's a double value. It's been tested but there are no builds yet. There will be a collection of new features - this one of them - that will be released in the 0.2.0 release.

Beans
    Distro

Does that mean I can download it from the git and compile?

When you say it's a double value what does that mean? Like a decimal?

Sorry, I'm not much of a programmer, most I do is a few bash scripts or a python script.

EDIT: Also whenever I try to disable tap to click it simply breaks the touchpad until I comment out the options. This is what the entry looks like with the tap to click "disabled", am I doing something wrong?

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Identifier      "Touchpads"
        Driver          "mtrack"
        Option          "TapButton1" "0"
        Option          "TapButton2" "0"
        Option          "TapButton3" "0"
    EndSection
    If I comment out those options, tap to click is still enabled (and bugs me), but the touchpad works.
    Last edited by Helios747; April 25th, 2011 at 02:26 AM.

Beans

Does that mean I can download it from the git and compile?
    Yes, but you need to get the source from the development branch. The master branch has the latest stable release which does not include features from the next version.

When you say it's a double value what does that mean? Like a decimal?
    Correct.

EDIT: Also whenever I try to disable tap to click it simply breaks the touchpad until I comment out the options. This is what the entry looks like with the tap to click "disabled", am I doing something wrong?
    What do you mean "simply breaks"? I need to know exactly what happens and will need to see your Xorg logs.

Your configuration is correct, however. The same configuration on my system yields the desired results without any issues.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a pastebin of a fresh log after an X restart with the TapButton options enabled.

http://pastebin.com/d0kMbAvn

what happens visually when I enable those options is that after I restart X, touchpad movement does not move the mouse, but button clicks are still detected (Taps aren't though! haha!)

Here is my full xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Default Device"
            Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Identifier      "Touchpads"
        Driver          "mtrack"
        Option          "ThumbSize"  "35"
        Option          "PalmSize"   "55"
        Option          "ClickTime"  "25"
        Option          "ScrollDistance" "300"
    EndSection
    Things work again whenever I comment out the tapbutton options. The other options I have in there work fine.

I'm running a MacBook 5,1 with Ubuntu Natty Beta 2.

Beans

Re: click+drag
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    Yes, this functionality works with this driver. I use it all the time. I'll have to give it some thought when it's not 2 AM. Compiling the driver with debugging output would help to pinpoint it, though.
    Good to know, thanks.

I spent a little time trying to debug it, to no avail though. I'll have to sit down and really figure out how these various drag routines are supposed to work (so far, all I've figured out is trigger_drag_ready() only gets called when i double tap).

It should be seeing both fingers, as it reports swipes just fine. Haven't yet gotten it to report scrolls though.

I'll dig into this more this week, I hope.

If it's a quick/simple answer (I don't want to take up any of your time unnecessarily, especially before I do my due-diligence)... Could the fact that I'm only implementing the bare-bones MT protocol be the issue?
    i.e. I'm only reporting ABS_MT_POSITION_[X|Y] and ABS_MT_PRESSURE. No widths, or any of the other options.
    I'm wondering if that might be preventing the Xorg driver from properly detecting a thumb click, or any other checks it might be doing.

Beans

Mtrack driver is working for me on a MacBook Air 3,1 11" under gentoo as well as Ubunty natty b2. Tapping is much better than with multitouch, thanks for all the efforts!

As mentioned by Helios747 I can confirm that
    Code:
    does not work for me either. Another thing came up with the bcm5794 I'm using:

Code:
    Xorg.log
    (EE) mtrack: cannot configure device
    (EE) Couldn't init device "bcm5974"
    It seems that the xorg.conf.d evdev-hooks try to initialize the device twice, as touchpad and mouse - however it's working though. A little odd is the touch behavior, which seems to be correct with the multitouch driver, but not in mtrack: I'm scrolling with my right hand pointer finger, leave it on the touchpad whilst the mouse pointer is over the button I wanna click (e.g. firefox). Now clicking with the left hand pointing finger results in a two finger tap (right click). Any way to get rid of this behavior or is it related to the TapButton Option?
    Last edited by scoddy; April 25th, 2011 at 12:25 PM.

Beans

Any work towards this working for Lucid?

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast