Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software

Beans

Software

Hi there people of Ubuntu can you recomend any software that you think would be good on a netbook ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Software

It depends what tasks you're needing to perform, docs/office/school? Photo editing? Music editing? etc etc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    It depends what tasks you're needing to perform, docs/office/school? Photo editing? Music editing? etc etc
    +1 on Megaptera post.

If you don't give us any clues of what are your needs, we're unable to help you.
    Please provide us with some more details on exactly how are planning to use it? Is it just for web browsing, receiving and sending emails? Are you planning on using any office suits? Developing on any programming language?

Beans

Want to be able to Piar My Iphone with it , Edit Photos ,watch Films, Download films, Would like to start to learn how to program and develop and usuallu find like sticky notes very handy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The default install of Ubuntu should cover all normal needs (surfing, office, multimedia ...), but like @Megaptera and @slickymaster said, it depends. Is for work or leisure?, for example I play, so I have Steam installed, and for work I need LaTex. I prefer vlc for multimedia instead of Dragon Player. Personal preferences, but as I said, the default install should be enough for a standard use.
    One vision, one purpose.

Beans

I dont really need it for work its just something for me to play around with for fun but at the same time let me take my photos and music nad films with me and when boared at work have a play with the Developing side of things .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't know about the iPhone, but I had some problems pairing my BB9300 and Playbook. For photo editing I was told Gimp is a very good program. To download films, I think Transmission is installed by default and it is ok. To watch films I use vlc (my choice). The world of programming is very large. You can compile directly text files in the terminal, but some people prefer to install idle (for Python), or development enviroments like Eclipse or Netbeans.
    One vision, one purpose.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey666 View Post
    Want to be able to Piar My Iphone with it , Edit Photos ,watch Films, Download films, Would like to start to learn how to program and develop and usuallu find like sticky notes very handy
    Ubuntu can't do much with an iPhone apart from get your camera pictures off it. For your photo library Shotwell is installed by default and on a Netbook make sure to activate GIMP's single-window mode, it is very helpful. (In the GIMP, go to Window > Single-Window mode).
    Also take a look at the Sticky Notes indicator: http://www.linuxnov.com/indicator-st...egory-support/
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34 View Post
    Ubuntu can't do much with an iPhone apart from get your camera pictures off it. For your photo library Shotwell is installed by default and on a Netbook make sure to activate GIMP's single-window mode, it is very helpful. (In the GIMP, go to Window > Single-Window mode).
    Also take a look at the Sticky Notes indicator: http://www.linuxnov.com/indicator-st...egory-support/
    if i have music on my netbook will it transfer to my iphone ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey666 View Post
    if i have music on my netbook will it transfer to my iphone ?
    The quick answer is yes...if you're lucky, and you're iPhone isn't very new. The best way to find out it to search for threads explaining how and try their methods.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast