Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by javacookies View Post
    Good day bcbc, since everything is working well now,Thanks for all your help on my thread I decided to migrate my wubi to a dedicated partition. I'll just ask if this script can migrate my wubi to an external hdd. My external is just an enclosure with the extra hdd of my laptop. Another Ubuntu is installed on dedicated partitions there. One for the root and one as swap space and i'm planning to replace that with my wubi install. If it's possible, do i need to erase that ubuntu first or the script can just replace with the wubi? Thanks
    Hi javacookies,
    Yes the script will migrate to an external hard drive. It will not migrate to a non-empty partition (as a safety measure) so you will have to format it or clear it prior to migrating. It also will only install the bootloader to the drive you install to (in your case the external) which is usually what you would want anyway.

So, yes, it's definitely supported

Beans

Wow that's really nice! So first thing I should do is format the root partition and swap partition....but to what? ext4,NTFS or any kind? Anyway I'll definitely try your script. Thank you very much

Beans

an error occurred I can't quite understand it.

An error occurred within chroot
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Error is: /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Attempting to exit chroot normally...
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Exiting from chroot on target install...
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Cancelling migration...

is it related with blacklisting? coz i blacklisted my wireless lan.

EDIT: oops I misread it...it's blocklist not blacklist LOL. I've read somewhere that it's because my partition starts with sector 1. I don't reall understand that but what could sole this?

EDIT: one more thing I reformatted my whole external hdd. Erased XP partition and ubuntu. adn now copying files was successful so everytime i try to boot from it, it just loops restarting.
    Last edited by javacookies; October 27th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.

Beans

Worked great for me but the check for the SWAP partition should be case insensitive.

... |grep -i "Linux swap" (I had 'Linux Swap' with fdisk -l)

Holger

Beans

I got it done! I made the first partition not start with 1 in the partition table. But my grub menu is blank though ubuntu boots after few seconds....Thanks for this very useful script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

an error occurred I can't quite understand it.

An error occurred within chroot
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Error is: /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Your embedding area is unusually small. core.img won't fit in it..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Attempting to exit chroot normally...
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Exiting from chroot on target install...
    wubi-move-2.1.sh: Cancelling migration...

is it related with blacklisting? coz i blacklisted my wireless lan.

EDIT: oops I misread it...it's blocklist not blacklist LOL. I've read somewhere that it's because my partition starts with sector 1. I don't reall understand that but what could sole this?

EDIT: one more thing I reformatted my whole external hdd. Erased XP partition and ubuntu. adn now copying files was successful so everytime i try to boot from it, it just loops restarting.
    The first problem is that the installation of the grub2 bootloader failed because there wasn't enough space to embed the core.img. See here:
    The GRUB development team generally recommends embedding GRUB before the first partition, unless you have special requirements. You must ensure that the first partition starts at least 31 KiB (63 sectors) from the start of the disk; on modern disks, it is often a performance advantage to align partitions on larger boundaries anyway, so the first partition might start 1 MiB from the start of the disk.
    I don't understand the second problem - about the loop and restarting. What I'd suggest is to repartition your external and ensure that the first partition is 63 sectors from the start of the disk.

PS in reply to your other question, yes formatting the ext4 partition is required. The swap doesn't need to be reinitialized.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I got it done! I made the first partition not start with 1 in the partition table. But my grub menu is blank though ubuntu boots after few seconds....Thanks for this very useful script
    Great that's the right fix.

Regarding the blank grub menu - not sure about that. Grub won't show a menu if it only detects Ubuntu, so check whether it has entries for your internal drive. If not run: sudo update-grub

Sometimes if there is a graphics issue - grub won't show either. In that case setting:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=text
    inside /etc/default/grub and rerunning 'sudo update-grub' will fix it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dehnhardt View Post
    Worked great for me but the check for the SWAP partition should be case insensitive.

Holger
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll put a fix in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dehnhardt View Post

Holger
    This has been fixed - I've just uploaded a revised 2.1 script (attachment on post #1).
    Thanks.

Beans

Thanks for the fix bcbc
    I'm having another problem..stupid me My swap space is sda1 and my root partition is sda2. Evrytime I boot, it always try to mount sda1 and of course it results to an error. How can I stop that?

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast