Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gaming PC Build?

Already built. By a few months. Just upgraded motherboard. Now have quad core. Gts 450 Superclocked
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    My new motherboard is the MSI 880GM-E43

New ram!!!!!!!!!

NEW BUILD FOR 2012!!!!!!!! Still gonna run Ubuntu!
    Last edited by overdrank; April 7th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

email youvebeengoosed@gmail.com with replies if i can`t get back to this thread. I've been looking into building a gamer computer running 11.10 without dual booting Mac or PC but no one has been able to answer some easy questions, but it sounds like there are some people on here that know there stuff so here it go's I just started using Linux for about 1 month now and I've been asking what is a great combo to build a gamer desktop that will meet my needs. money Isn't a problem I'm just like "Alot of people" don`t really trust people with Alot of money for poor work, could somebody tell me there opinion and combo for the best gamer computer rather it be mac or PC base and can Ubuntu 11.10 run mac programs like final cut pro? any help would be hot. o as far as games basically any game and or emulator out thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by youvebeengoosed View Post
    email youvebeengoosed@gmail.com with replies if i can`t get back to this thread. I've been looking into building a gamer computer running 11.10 without dual booting Mac or PC but no one has been able to answer some easy questions, but it sounds like there are some people on here that know there stuff so here it go's I just started using Linux for about 1 month now and I've been asking what is a great combo to build a gamer desktop that will meet my needs. money Isn't a problem I'm just like "Alot of people" don`t really trust people with Alot of money for poor work, could somebody tell me there opinion and combo for the best gamer computer rather it be mac or PC base and can Ubuntu 11.10 run mac programs like final cut pro? any help would be hot. o as far as games basically any game and or emulator out thanks
    I do not believe you can run final cut pro on Ubuntu. And the discussion about hackintosh is not allowed on this forum, because it's illegal. I'll email you.

Beans

Copy of email:

Hello,well In my experiences this is what I'd recommended for Linux. (I don't like Intel and am not willing to pay that much- just my personal opinion)

AMD Phenom II x2 or greater. (I ran Ubuntu on the x2 560 and it ran great, then I unlocked the two hidden cores for a quad core) Newegg has the 565 for $115

Asus, MSI, or gigabyte MB AM3 Micro ATX should be good for you (The first one I bought was ASROCK - $40) Then MSI 880Gm-e43 $80

I used Gskill Ripjaws 4GB kit timed correctly About $60 at the time (ddr3) I now use corsair vengeance 16GB (110 bucks)

Any atx/ Micro atx case to suit your liking.

DVD or blueray drive (20/60 $ )

Good power supply, I had a 550W powering the above system plus GFX card.

Now, the most important part in a linux build: The graphics card. It all depends on what you want. I had a Nvidia GTS 450 and it ran like a dream in Linux. I recommend NVIDIA, because their support is better, and so are their drivers. And performance right now. If you have a 20" monitor like I do, the GTS 450 will be perfect. OpenGL 4.1. I was able to run Oil Rush (Google it!) with about 30-120 FPS on Linux. IF you need more power you could go for the 460, 470, or even a 500 series. It's up to you, but I recommend AMD and Nividia for Linux. More bang for the buck.

- Anytime, Dlambert

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516