Thread: Dual Boot Options

Beans

Dual Boot Options

I am in the process of building a new computer. I would like to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04. Would I be better off using two drives, one for windows the other for Ubuntu? I would then select the drive in the BIOS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dual Boot Options

Simple answer, if you can afford to is yes, it is the best way to run more than one OS, particularly if using Windows which when updated can sometimes totally ignore Linux partitions and make them temporarily unbootable.

If you are prepared to use the BIOS or UEFI system to set boot priority each time you can even manage a system with one OS in UEFI mode and the second in MBR/BIOS; not generally recommanded but possible.

Beans

I would like to put the Ubuntu on an M.2 drive and the windows on a cheap SSD. On the rare occasion that I need windows, it will be there.

Beans

If you are going to use two drives, put Ubuntu on the easiest to remove. When updating/upgrading Windows, remove Ubuntu drive to prevent problems. Not common but does happen.

Beans

If you are going to use two drives, put Ubuntu on the easiest to remove. When updating/upgrading Windows, remove Ubuntu drive to prevent problems. Not common but does happen.
    Thanks, I never thought of that. Putting the Ubuntu on the SSD would only require the removal of a cable. I am still thinking of my options for storage. On the other hand, why use a M.2 drive on windows that will be rarely used.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; December 15th, 2019 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Most new UEFI systems have a drive setting that is off, mine says [disabled]. So you do not have to unplug a drive. Same place you set drives for AHCI.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Most new UEFI systems have a drive setting that is off, mine says [disabled]. So you do not have to unplug a drive. Same place you set drives for AHCI.
    Thanks, my present computer is about 10 years old.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Then it does not directly support m.2 drive.
    And from other posts I have seen mixed results with m.2 adapters.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    +1
    But keep the Windows drive when installing Ubuntu so that Grub can make a menu entry for it.
    Happy user of Ubuntu-20.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC