Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannin View Post
    Actually, I've been using Grub 1 using the method I outlined above ever since 9.10 came out, and it automatically picks up every kernel update and adds it to the Grub boot menu. Similarly, if I remove an old kernel, it'll automatically remove that kernel's entries from the Grub menu too . So as I said, it works fine. It automatically gives you the option of chainloading into your old Grub 2 files, and it automatically updates the Grub boot menu with the addition and removal of kernels.
    Fine, you don't like my HowTo. I'll lose no sleep

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Fine, you don't like my HowTo. I'll lose no sleep
    It's not that I don't like it, I appreciate the effort. It's just that there are way more steps than there needs to be.

Beans

You also obviously like to have the last word. I wrote this with the intention of helping people. If you find that it's somehow detrimental then report it to the mods.

You're wasting my time and making me angry

Beans

You also obviously like to have the last word. I wrote this with the intention of helping people. If you find that it's somehow detrimental then report it to the mods.

You're wasting my time and making me angry
    Did I ever say it was detrimental? No, just that it's more steps than are needed. Whether you get angry or not is up to you . As for wasting your time, no one is making you come here and reply to my posts. You're choosing to do that all on your own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To each his own. Literally.

I use the time honored solution of having a small /boot partition (100 Mb) which has Grub Legacy in it.

The MBR (Master Boot Record) always loads that, and its only function is to chainload whichever bootloader belongs to the operating system of the partition being loaded.

That way I never have to think about which bootloader is screwing with which (which is the problem with Grub2, Windows Bootloader, Wubi, etc).

Each OS gets to keep its own bootloader quarantined within its own partition. end of story. Upgrades, updates, etc. only affect that OS, not the whole bloody hard drive.

How long extra does it take for the initial Grub Legacy (whose only job is to chainload)? Well, I set it to a timeout of one second, so it takes one second longer.

Guess what? It works with UUID-specified devices, too. I can chainload all kinds of stuff. Try doing that with Grub2!

Yeah, it took me about 15 minutes extra to set it up (a few years ago), but I have never had to fiddle with it despite 3 Ubuntu/Kubuntu upgrades, 7 partitions, and every imaginable OS.

My walkthrough is at

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation (Ubuntuguide)

and

http://kubuntuguide.org/Multiple_OS_Installation (Kubuntuguide)

Becasue I did it a while ago, I didn't install Grub Legacy (as a previous post pointed out), so that my instructions don't include the

sudo apt-get install grub

step to install Grub Legacy. Then again, I am not really replacing Grub2 with Grub Legacy on any operating system -- I'm merely installing it in its own small partition. So, I suppose if you install it you would have an extra step of re-installing Grub2 or something. Oy vay, what a headache! It is never a good idea to mix and match operating system components! To each its own!

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans

To each his own. Literally.
    That is exactly right. I personally like Meierfra's way of creating a custom grub2 menu:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ms:Custom_Menu

That's the beauty of Linux, tweak it to your own liking

If there were one universal windows-ish way of doing things I'd get very very ill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your hard work!!!! Excellent guide.

grub2 is a disaster as far as i can see!!!

Installing grub2 on the root partition as opposed to the MBR or boot partition failed miserably after two restarts.

I prefer grub to be installed on the root partition so i can boot all of my operating systems with gag boot loader.

This is what happened:

1. I installed ubuntu 10.03
    2. Reboot .> Black screen
    3. Inserted ubuntu 10.03 Live CD to run in gnome desktop.
    4 Opened a terminal:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ubuntu is located on /dev/sda8

Next:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda8 /mnt
    To completely reinstall grub2:

Code:
    sudo grub-install  --force --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda8
    I then rebooted and was able to log into Ubuntu.

5. Restarted again and was welcomed by a black screen.

6. Went through the whole process again.

7. Logged into Ubuntu and updated.

8. Rebooted into a black screen. Lucky me.

9. Went through the whole process again.

10. Found your guide and grub2 is now nuked.

Thanks again. Cheers

By the way Ubuntu stuffed grub on my fedora partition as well. Ubuntu can be a headache at times.
    Last edited by johnny678; May 12th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnny678 View Post
    Thanks for your hard work!!!! Excellent guide.

grub2 is a disaster as far as i can see!!!

Installing grub2 on the root partition as opposed to the MBR or boot partition failed miserably after two restarts.

I prefer grub to be installed on the root partition so i can boot my all operating systems with gag boot loader.

This is what happened:

1. I installed ubuntu 10.03
    2. Reboot .> Black screen
    3. Inserted ubuntu 10.03 Live CD to run in gnome desktop.
    4 Opened a terminal:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ubuntu is located on /dev/sda8

Next:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda8 /mnt
    To completely reinstall grub2:

Code:
    sudo grub-install  --force --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda8
    I then rebooted and was able to log into Ubuntu.

5. Restarted again and was welcomed by a black screen.

6. Went through the whole process again.

7. Logged into Ubuntu and updated.

8. Rebooted into a black screen. Lucky me.

9. Went through the whole process again.

10. Found your guide and grub2 is now nuked.

Thanks again. Cheers

By the way Ubuntu stuffed grub on my fedora partition as well. Ubuntu can be a headache at times.
    Indeed GAG is a sweet graphic boot manager but it does have limitations. While it's not yet ready for the masses there's something new coming for grub2:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/m...ook-nicer.html

It is still quite buggy though so only play with it if you can afford the breakage

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by future987 View Post
    A lot of people, myself included, are having difficulty in understanding the 'logic' of grub2, personally I think that for the present grub legacy is a better bet. I am sure that will eventually change but it hasn't yet. The way I have been dealing with the situation is simply to install a distro that still uses grub legacy (Debian Stable in my case) to control the boot process (ie it is installed on the disk mbr) and to use that to chainload to all the newer grub2 distros (installed onto the partition boot record not the disk mbr). The grub2 distros can make as much of a mess as they like of my newer distro boot menus (and believe me they do!) because I don't have to read them, I have already chosen what I want to boot into from the comparatively sane and superior debian boot menu. That works for me, but I have always wanted to know how easy it is to get rid of grub2 from a distro that already has it and that is what I tried out today. Luckily the answer is that it is very easy. Most of the procedure is taken from the Ubuntu community Docs (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... B%20Legacy) although they gloss over one very important step at the end which basically means that you cant boot. That is why I am repeating the tutorial here.

BD BD Forum [url=http://www.2funbd.com/Blog]BD Blog[/url
    I actually like grub2 a lot. I multi-boot a lot and I like the automagic feature of grub2 being able to find and update entries for additional operating systems, but it's certainly not flawless yet.

My HowTo differs from the official documentation in that it totally wipes grub2 from the OS involved. If followed properly it still works with both Lucid and Karmic, it's too soon to know about Maverick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Indeed GAG is a sweet graphic boot manager but it does have limitations. While it's not yet ready for the masses there's something new coming for grub2:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/m...ook-nicer.html

It is still quite buggy though so only play with it if you can afford the breakage
    Hi there. I was able to boot fedora with http://www.supergrubdisk.org/, however gag would no longer work. I've been using gag for a long time now and never had this problem.

Anyway I could have reinstalled gag and looked into it deeper however i decided to try BootIt™ Next Generation since i'll already use their imaging software.

BootIt is a bit on the expensive side but i thought i will give it a go. If it's not a buggy application i will be happy. So far so good.

I don't mind buying software if it is stable.
    Last edited by johnny678; May 12th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast