Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re: evolution of gnome classic/fallback/flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am just suggesting in kind, that , perhaps you could ask the mods to drop the {evolution of gnome classic} and try for somthing like 'Edubuntu/gnome classic/fallback/flashback session Trusty'. This way I think the moderating powers that be may find it more palatable for U+1, it would be a real plug for Edubuntu (which is a diamond in the rough) and you could interject your hypothesis and work with bug fixes without fragmenting the echo.

You said "I need feedback". Please do not take offence at my words. I am hoping to be a helper here.

regards..
    No offense taken ... ever

The reason I want to work on this here is because we true testers are critics by nature, and only well reasoned criticism results in a good outcome

I don't remember the exact words I used to open this thread, but it was something like "May I pursue the 'evolution of gnome classic/fallback/flashback sessions' here?

Then one of the mods shortened the title so I took that as acceptance of pursuing my goals

Will we sometimes get off-topic? Absolutely!

Once again look at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873765

Had we been Ubuntu +1 then that thread could still be alive, but time rolls on so we have to adapt and as testers it's beneficial to the entire Ubuntu community to share what we know in the most appropriate manner possible.

Appropriate is the key word there. If I'm providing inappropriate or misleading info that's NO GOOD to anyone, and certainly harmful to the project. So I need to share what I plan on doing or saying with a trusted community ............... Ubuntu +1 is that trusted community.

Does that make sense?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    No offense taken ... ever

The reason I want to work on this here is because we true testers are critics by nature, and only well reasoned criticism results in a good outcome

I don't remember the exact words I used to open this thread, but it was something like "May I pursue the 'evolution of gnome classic/fallback/flashback sessions' here?

Then one of the mods shortened the title so I took that as acceptance of pursuing my goals

Will we sometimes get off-topic? Absolutely!

Once again look at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873765

Had we been Ubuntu +1 then that thread could still be alive, but time rolls on so we have to adapt and as testers it's beneficial to the entire Ubuntu community to share what we know in the most appropriate manner possible.

Appropriate is the key word there. If I'm providing inappropriate or misleading info that's NO GOOD to anyone, and certainly harmful to the project. So I need to share what I plan on doing or saying with a trusted community ............... Ubuntu +1 is that trusted community.

Does that make sense?
    Absolutely and it is also of great importance in the next 6 months to have Gnome_flashback working properly and effectively because there are several million people who just do not have the economic means to throw out their old computers at this time and buy new ones. It is imperative that gnome-flashback be effective across a wide spread of legacy form-factors. Iv'e been able to use most recent kernels on Lucid very effectively . I don't see why it (gnome-flashback) cannot be given the same amount of attention as Unity.

I will re-read some of your reports and try to get a better handle on it because you spent so much personal time on the project previously.

I am an experimenter that likes to try exploratory testing and some people get frustrated with my method and understandably so, so I will try to keep on topic as best as I can while still having fun !

Regards..

edit..

Oy ..I basically said the same thing back then in the old thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post11418769
    Last edited by ventrical; November 1st, 2013 at 08:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Absolutely and it is also of great importance in the next 6 months to have Gnome_flashback working properly and effectively because there are several million people who just do not have the economic means to throw out their old computers at this time and buy new ones.
    I will agree with that but we should go further, right into 14.10 because that is where the big, big, changes to Ubuntu are going to come. Perhaps we should say that this is Testing Flashback on Ubuntu+1. Does that cover all the bases, as they say in baseball?

I would also limit this Flashback testing to: a) Ubuntu, because it is the base code for the flavours. b) Ubuntu Gnome, because Gnome shell is the natural home of Gnome Flashback. c) Edubuntu, because? Well, Ventrical said: it would be a real plug for Edubuntu (which is a diamond in the rough)
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I will agree with that but we should go further, right into 14.10 because that is where the big, big, changes to Ubuntu are going to come. Perhaps we should say that this is Testing Flashback on Ubuntu+1. Does that cover all the bases, as they say in baseball?

I would also limit this Flashback testing to: a) Ubuntu, because it is the base code for the flavours. b) Ubuntu Gnome, because Gnome shell is the natural home of Gnome Flashback. c) Edubuntu, because? Well, Ventrical said: it would be a real plug for Edubuntu (which is a diamond in the rough)
    kansasnoob can change the title of the thread by editing the original post then choosing advanced.
    Last edited by philinux; November 1st, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

This is not even half-baked but I've been keeping some notes while testing Trusty and Saucy. Remember it's only a work in progress and some of it could be incomplete or even inaccurate

GETTING STARTED

This applies to all supported versions

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    Note: There is a reason to simply install 'gnome-panel' rather than a specific "gnome" or "session" package, specifically the session and package names have changed frequently to accomodate the addition of GNOME's new classic session. This becomes obvious when you log into the new session.

In versions 12.04, 12.04.1, 12.04.2, 12.04.3 and 12.10:

Log out, click on the Ubuntu emblem next to your username, select the "classic (no effects)" session, and then enter your password.

In version 13.04:

Log out, click on the GNOME emblem next to your username, select the "fallback (no effects)" session, and then enter your password.

In versions 13.10 and 14.04:

Log out, click on the GNOME emblem next to your username, select the "flashback (no effects)" session, and then enter your password.

CHANGE TERMINAL THEME

Applies to all supported versions

If you find the default terminal theme (white text on a purple background) as atrocious as I do just open the Terminal, click on Edit > Profile Preferences. Then click on the Colors tab and uncheck "Use colors from system theme", then select "Black on white" from the Built-in schemes.

ADDING ADDITIONAL "indicator-applet" OPTIONS

You may want to install these so they'll be available for placement in the panel (only 'indicator-applet-complete' is installed by default):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install indicator-applet indicator-applet-session
    You can compare the difference between the three indicator applets here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11900657

RESTORE THE "Run Command Prompt" FUNCTION

This applies to version 12.04 only

I wanted to get the "Run Command Prompt" back by pressing Alt+F2 just as it was in Gnome 2. This can be quite useful if you should ever do something silly like remove both panels and need to launch the terminal or another application without being able to access the menu(s).

It really couldn't be much simpler, just go to System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > System and highlight the line that says "Show the run command prompt". Then just follow the instructions at the bottom of that window.

This can also be done using the CLI:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2"
    To revert that to the default setting run:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "disabled"
    I think this was the default setting in 12.10 and 13.04, but it changed again in 13.10 and 14.04 due to the further depraction of gconf.

DISABLE THE SCREEN LOCK

I find the screen lock very annoying, I live alone and don't like having to enter my password everytime the screensaver acivates. So you can just go to System Tools > System Settings > Brightness & Lock and select Lock = Off.

This can also be done using the CLI:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false
    To revert that to the default setting run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled true
    DISPLAY UPDATE-NOTIFICATIONS IN PANEL

This applies to 12.04, 12.10, and 13.04 only:

In Unity the update-notifications now show up in the Launcher but without the Launcher we now get no persistent update notifications. Still no worries, I got it to show up in either 'indicator-applet' or 'indicator-applet-complete' in gnome-panel by running the command:

Code:
    gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false
    You can revert that by running:

Code:
    gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch true
    In 13.10 and 14.04 the update notifications now appear in the "window list" when using flashback so no change is required.

MOVE WINDOW-MANAGEMENT BUTTONS TO THE RIGHT

In version 12.04 only:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close"
    Note: to restore the defaults run:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string "close,minimize,maximize:"
    In versions 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, and 14.04:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout :minimize,maximize,close
    To move them back to the left:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout close,minimize,maximize:
    IMPROVE WINDOW-MANAGEMENT BUTTON APPEARANCE

In version 12.04 only:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install shiki-colors-metacity-theme
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    To restore the default theme just run:

Code:
    gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Ambiance
    In versions 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, and 14.04:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install shiki-colors-metacity-theme
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    Or to restore the Ambiance theme:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme Ambiance
    DISABLE OR REMOVE THE OVERLAY-SCROLLBARS

This applies to all supported versions, and there are two options:

Option #1, safest:

I found the overlay-scrollbars to be inconsistent and annoying in the classic DE and I'd previously recommended just removing them altogether but I believe I've found a much better way to disable them on a per-user basis. Simply run one command:

Code:
    echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile
    Then just log out and log back in for that change to take effect.

If you should later wish to revert that just run:

Code:
    sed -i 's/^export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR.*/#&/' ~/.xprofile
    Option #2, more permanent, possibly very permanent, so proceed with caution:

Should you wish to remove them permanently you can run the following command, but be warned - just reinstalling those packages does NOT restore them correctly - so you may never be able to get them back if you change your mind:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge liboverlay-scrollbar-0.2-0 liboverlay-scrollbar3-0.2-0 overlay-scrollbar
    RESTORE THE MISSING MENU AND BUTTON ICONS

I also dislike the missing menu and button icons so I run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true
    HAVE FILE MANAGER HANDLE THE DESKTOP

This one is the hardest for me to explain. By default the GNOME 3 desktop is set to NOT display any icons, but it's possible for the desktop to display any combination of these icons/"actors":

Computer...........(computer-icon-visible)
    Home...............(home-icon-visible)
    Network............(network-icon-visible)
    Trash..............(trash-icon-visible)
    Mounted volumes....(volumes-visible)

But to do so you must first set the "stage" by running:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true
    But that only sets the "stage" for the "actors", now you must decide which actors you want on the stage. You're now the director.

After running that command either reboot or log out and log back in. When you get back to a blank DE background decide what you want displayed. (Hint, the "true" or "false" at the end of these commands is the key):

To show the Computer icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop computer-icon-visible true
    To hide the Computer icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop computer-icon-visible false
    To show the Home icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop home-icon-visible true
    To hide the Home icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop home-icon-visible false
    To show the Network icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop network-icon-visible true
    To hide the Network icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop network-icon-visible false
    To show the Trash icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop trash-icon-visible true
    To hide the Trash icon run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop trash-icon-visible false
    To show Mounted Volumes run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible true
    To hide Mounted Volumes run:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible false
    DISABLE THE FIREFOX AND THUNDERBIRD GLOBAL MENU ADD-ONS:

You may or may not find that you need to disable the Firefox and/or Thunderbird global menu add-ons. To do so in Firefox just go to Tools > Add-ons > Global Menu Bar integration and select Disable. You'll then be prompted to restart Firefox. I don't use Thunderbird so I can't be sure of the specific procedure with it, but I'd think it's similar.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    kansasnoob can change the title of the thread by editing the original post then choosing advanced.
    Thanks for the hint

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Well said....and you know how hard polishing diamonds can be.

Beans
    Distro

T...

No offence but this is where I get lost in following the theme of the thread. First I have to admit that I had experiemented with gnome-shell .etc.. and I know how many are endeared to it.. but I am a Unity man and gnome-flashback type geek.

I am going to just keep reading and working on Edubuntu Trusty Gnome Flashback and if I have anything significant to add, I will.

Also ... I need to ask a question. Would you like us to test some of the above ideas you are documenting for this project.?

thanks in advance

edit..

Ok .. I had a second read and understand your meanings now. Most of all those things are in Edubuntu Trusty by default (gnome-no-effects).

Also .. just to make a side note.. I run another machine for Overclocking purpose that uses Gnome-Flashback (with effects) Trusty Tahr, and that was installed on an original Ubuntu (Unity) install and it works seamlessly.
    Last edited by Elfy; November 1st, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: removed an enormous quote

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I was the one pruning as I often do in order to get a short and precise title. Especially when a growing part of the audience is using mobile devices it's important to be brief.

There's no hidden interpretation in that.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

With a lot of fanagaling I was able to get gnome (noeffects) to work in 32bit but Ubuntu Trusty on THIS graphics card:

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34GL [Quadro FX 500/600 PCI] (rev a1)
    ventrical@ventrical-P25G:~$

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast