Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile and Desktop Dominance!

Beans

Re: Mobile and Desktop Dominance!

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Something about two mice seems overly maniacal.
    I can only picture myself laughing like a madman, bent on taking over the world.
    "Gee, Brain, whad'ya wanna do t'night?"

"Same thing we do EVERY night, Pinky ..."

Seriously, though, the idea is to have the option to do whatever you want. One mouse is good for you? Great! Want to use two mice? Still great! All the Linux users win.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Thanks. I'll check this out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldstlouis View Post
    I agree that two mice isn't for everyone. The idea is versatility: Use two mice (with access to multi-touch gesture control) if you want to and stick with one mouse if that other mess isn't worth it to you.

One more thing that you can do in Linux that you can't do in Windows -- at least without paying a mint!
    Yes, but how many people want or need two mice? Very, very, very few. Should Canonical devote resources to developing dual mouse ability to appease 0.01% of their users? Their resources are better used in other areas in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Er, so want to add an extra mouse so you can use touch gestures on a non-touch device? Can I ask why? What's so great about touch that means you want to try and replicate it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Yes, but how many people want or need two mice? Very, very, very few. Should Canonical devote resources to developing dual mouse ability to appease 0.01% of their users? Their resources are better used in other areas in my opinion.
    One could ask how many people wanted or needed mice or multi-touch when they first came out. I'm guessing some, but not many. And I know how much I scoffed when MacOS debuted. Windows, too. Now look -- you can find them almost anywhere. Besides, it's not about two mice. It's about multi-touch, and getting it on the desktop should people be interested. Mark Shuttleworth wants to get Ubuntu on 200 million devices? Maybe not leaving some of the potential market behind might help.

I've tried Windows 8, and I hate it! Maybe I'd hate it less if some of the new stuff for non-PC devices bled over into the PC camp. However, I know exactly what kind of chances there are for anything like Multi-Mouse to happen in Windows. Apple won't bother, either. The big boys don't need it.

Do the little guys? Don't know. Figured I'd put the idea out there somewhere, and if they think it's cool, they'll run with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Er, so want to add an extra mouse so you can use touch gestures on a non-touch device? Can I ask why? What's so great about touch that means you want to try and replicate it?
    Want the truth? I'VE NEVER TRIED multi-touch! No smart phone, no tablet -- nothing! Even so, it looks cool, and I have to figure that something about it has to be practical. Cool-looking but useless doesn't tend to last too long in this marketplace. I figure that the hardware is dirt cheap and easy to get, so the big thing would be the software. My hope is that much existing code could be reused with little effort. Should that be true, Multi-Mouse could make for a more unified experience across platforms, lessening the impact of trying to adapt to using a device different from the ones you're used to. It also might make it easier to write OSes and applications once and run them anywhere. That last thing seems like it would be worthwhile for the software guys to shoot for, since it would reduce their costs.

The big guys don't need anything like this, so they won't bother. If the smaller guys can't do this right, they can scuttle the project quietly or simply not bother -- no problem. But if they can do it right, and they choose to, they can steal a march on the big guys. With the Ubuntu for Android initiative, Ubuntu may have many new eyes on it. If the owner of these new eyes decide to try out Ubuntu on their desktop machines, a more consistent experience between the two platforms might make the difference between their keeping Ubuntu on those machines and their hosing it off in disappointment or disgust.

Face it: You want to take over the world, you gotta think of some powerful, weird stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What would you do with two mice that you cant do with one? How would this improve functionality?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12