Thread: mounted external hard drive first time, second time, unable to mount

Beans

Unhappy mounted external hard drive first time, second time, unable to mount

Hi,
    i mounted the hdd the first time, second time this error was shown

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/baleeghr/FreeAgent Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/baleeghr/FreeAgent Drive"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x43425355 size: 4096 usa_ofs: 1393 usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
    Actual VCN (0x100000efa1cf0500) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x3).
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.

I need help urgently as i had backed up my whole hard drive

Regards,
    baleegh

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: mounted external hard drive first time, second time, unable to mount

The error message tells you what might be wrong and what to do about it:

Quote Originally Posted by baleeghr View Post
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    An inconsistency in the NTFS filesystem is most likely. Plug the drive into a Windows system and run chkdsk.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

thank you, i ahd not mentioned the hard disk was working fine on windows, until i ran it on ubuntu.

C:\Windows\system32>g:
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by baleeghr View Post
    thank you, i ahd not mentioned the hard disk was working fine on windows, until i ran it on ubuntu.
    As a point of information, accessing NTFS filesystems in Ubuntu is safe. I have been doing it for years. Did you "eject" or "safely remove" the drive before pulling out the USB cable? Just as in Windows, you can severely damage a filesystem by removing the drive while the system is still writing to it.

C:\Windows\system32>g:
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    That looks as though you simply tried to "cd" into your damaged hard drive. You need to run chkdsk from the command line. Or there is a GUI way. I'm going from memory here, because I don't use Windows very often, but if you right-click on your G: drive in Explorer (My Computer) there should be an option in the context menu to check and repair the filesystem.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

yeeessss!!!!!! worked like a charm! and just for the record, i didnot safely eject in ubuntu. Did not know that was that much of a deal. Thank you again!