Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

I do know that Ubuntus want to distrubute across various form-factors with tablets and phones as priorities. Windows 8 is , well, "years ahead " as far as working on both tablets, phones AND desktops. Actually the Win 8 almost functions just like gnome-shell. So with new Mir server comming I am thinking that there is a lot of scrambling in the back-rooms of Canonical to come up to par competetion with MS. We are feeling the brunt of it now. I guess we have to go one day at a time and see how it all pans out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    ... I am thinking that there is a lot of scrambling in the back-rooms of Canonical to come up to par competetion with MS. We are feeling the brunt of it now. I guess we have to go one day at a time and see how it all pans out.
    There'd better be a lot of scrambling. I've got 10" tablet, 7" tablet, Chromebook each about 1 gHz processors. They boot up in seconds, including connecting to my hidden wireless network, zoom I"m onto internet and into email, news, you name it.

Raring, with hardware that's much faster, seconds tick by. Finally desktop up. Ooops, disconnects from hidden wireless network (12.04.2 doesn't). Manually select systems settings network. Couple seconds later, get a drop down, select the only network showing. oh, my, network out of range. It's not. Select it again, and after some seconds puts up the required encryption key etc. and asks If I want to connect. I do. Some seconds later connects. Then I go back to desktop, unity launcher, and select firefox. Which comes up after more seconds.

The Chromebook is long since up, I'm into composing email or viewing a video.....very nicely, on slower hardware than ubuntu has....

So I have choices. My opinion, set ubuntu raring beside the tablets and chromebook, hit power on, and ubuntu better figure out how to match the competition.

At my level of expertise, office write and spreadsheets I don't know how to do on the tablets and chromebook.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You're forgetting one think jerrylamos , you aren't starting your tablet or chromebook from power-off, I know my Android tablet takes just as long as my computer to boot, when the power is completely turned off, when both devices are in sleep mode the difference is only a couple of seconds.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    There'd better be a lot of scrambling. I've got 10" tablet, 7" tablet, Chromebook each about 1 gHz processors. They boot up in seconds, including connecting to my hidden wireless network, zoom I"m onto internet and into email, news, you name it.

Raring, with hardware that's much faster, seconds tick by. Finally desktop up. Ooops, disconnects from hidden wireless network (12.04.2 doesn't). Manually select systems settings network. Couple seconds later, get a drop down, select the only network showing. oh, my, network out of range. It's not. Select it again, and after some seconds puts up the required encryption key etc. and asks If I want to connect. I do. Some seconds later connects. Then I go back to desktop, unity launcher, and select firefox. Which comes up after more seconds.

The Chromebook is long since up, I'm into composing email or viewing a video.....very nicely, on slower hardware than ubuntu has....

So I have choices. My opinion, set ubuntu raring beside the tablets and chromebook, hit power on, and ubuntu better figure out how to match the competition.

At my level of expertise, office write and spreadsheets I don't know how to do on the tablets and chromebook.

Tablets and Chromebooks run from internal SSDs, are you running Raring off of one too?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

On my Acer Extensa 4420 laptop (non-touch), AMD AthlonX2, 120GB SATA, 3GB/DDR2 Win 8-64bit is COLD started, running and network up in 9 seconds. (That does not include the time it takes me to type in my password). 6 Seconds to shut down. I removed all power and battery first and replaced before COLD start. Win 8 has a sort of gnome-shell/compiz/ring-shifter type desktop and works great on older desktops and laptops as well. All that raring is currently aspiring to morph into is accomplished with Win 8. I did do a sideXside install. I thought there was a boot corruption error but that was a wrong assumption on my part. Ubuntu is still my core OS on all of my machines as I know win 8 will eventually regress with updates, malware etc...but at current the ball is now in Ubuntu's court as far as start-up and shut down times are concerned, especially with older machines. A wise move by MicroSoft to include all those older laptops to work with Win 8. They did not forget where they came from.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

When the first daily build isos come out for 13.10, couldn't you use that to upgrade from 13.04 development to 13.10 development as well?
    I noticed when installing from a daily build a few days ago (on a friend's computer) that one of the options is to "upgrade"....

When you use that, does it carry over all your files (like videos, music, photos, documents) as well as all the programs you have installed?
    And does it retain their settings? (or do they return to their defaults)...
    Is that a good way to upgrade?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    When the first daily build isos come out for 13.10, couldn't you use that to upgrade from 13.04 development to 13.10 development as well?
    I noticed when installing from a daily build a few days ago (on a friend's computer) that one of the options is to "upgrade"....

When you use that, does it carry over all your files (like videos, music, photos, documents) as well as all the programs you have installed?
    And does it retain their settings? (or do they return to their defaults)...
    Is that a good way to upgrade?

Thanks

aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade

But you would have to download and install aptitude first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Personally, my feeling is that all this "rolling release" business will be sorted during the Developer's Summit and we will all know after that.
    I'm sure everyone's attention is focused on getting this release out and then decisions will be made.
    Not much happens with the "Next Release" as far as packages go until after the Summit anyway.
    To me it is not a big deal, we will know soon enough.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daKoolaid View Post
    Tablets and Chromebooks run from internal SSDs, are you running Raring off of one too?
    Yes. SSD's help linux. SSD's really helps my wife's XP which she uses to support a couple websites with Dreamweaver, not available on linux.

Acer C710 acts like it is running from SSD. It does have a 320 gb hard drive. I don't know what goes on which.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; April 20th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    Personally, my feeling is that all this "rolling release" business will be sorted during the Developer's Summit and we will all know after that.
    I'm sure everyone's attention is focused on getting this release out and then decisions will be made.
    Not much happens with the "Next Release" as far as packages go until after the Summit anyway.
    To me it is not a big deal, we will know soon enough.
    +1!

I'm busy right now with the final round of QA testing ......... no time to worry about what's up next

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910