Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gentoo vs. Sabayon

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Gentoo vs. Sabayon

I was doing some reading about Linux from Scratch and there are apparantly a some of issues with the Ubuntu and LFS I didn't know if there would be similar trouble with Gentoo.
    "Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    At the expense of sounding snippy again.
    You could have just said that in the first place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zapcojake View Post
    You could have just said that in the first place.
    But I did, in Post#27.

First I referenced two Gentoo docs and then I told you there is no difference wrt livecd or distribution booted from.

I give up, have a nice day.

Edit: Updated ignore list.
    Last edited by mips; February 29th, 2008 at 02:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    But I did, in Post#27.

First I referenced two Gentoo docs and then I told you there is no difference wrt livecd or distribution booted from.

I give up, have a nice day.
    Actually, the first thing you said was "Did you even bother to look at the handbook?" Which seems a little snippy for an answer to perfectly good question.

Beans

Currently I'm using Sabayon as a stepping stone in order to jump to gentoo later. At first, I was turned off by the source compiling, but now I'm really starting to like it. I emerged the latest firefox from source and I notice it's snappier than the one Ubuntu provides.

But in terms of Gentoo vs. Sabayon, you really can't compare the two in that manner since Sabayon is gentoo (with some settings chosen and binary packages).

Beans

sabayon is lovely.
    gentoo is lovely.

to each as per their needs.

my needs are best met with sabayon.

OOTB & KISS.

!!! and thats that!

OOTB as they call it in their philosophy, i prefer to call it by what they call their DVD versions. Full. and yep.. it really just about is. you'll b doing less installing of other software after installing sabayon is finished, as it includes so much. loads of very clever little touches (like the irc sabayon help icon, the nvidia setup icon making twin view easier than ever before), metisse, compviz, Out Of The Box.

i just got back from, catastrophic hardware failures (musta got lightninged), installed 3.5full on my system. happy as larry, one day after install, my desktop looks as cool as it did before i lost those hardrives. (and i do alot of moddings to kde) (alot!!)

still seems to run pretty damn stable n sweet... fingers crossed though should i go for any updates. hehe. will be sticking with portato, having tried spritz... not fun.. who knows, it might get better, but yes, its getting much further from the ideals of gentoo with that i'm sure.

havn't come across anything i can't customise yet. ...oh, havnt got around to getting three monitors to work yet.. always something else on the go. will get it done soon... just that its not like the 5 clicks required to get twinview working.

i've seen over 100 distros.

i use sabayon by choice.

not because its the one i happen to be using at time of writing.

because it's the one that's sticking around.

...there must be some reason... right?

to choose it over even ubuntu!? right?

...there must be some reason...

*fades into the shaddows among the trees... and then was gone*

Beans
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

I love Gentoo and I love Sabayon! I see no big difference as they are "twin brothers"! Sabayon is easier to install it, has a lot of stuff (it reminds me of Ubuntu Ultimate Edition - one of my favorite distros, but in a Gentoo base instead of UUE) and with a perfect interface.
    Gentoo is something else! Nice, fast but a little pain in the @ss for its new users! But it's OK! We are in Linux because we like the hard way!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234