Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chromium vs Google Chrome. (Any difference at all?)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Chromium vs Google Chrome. (Any difference at all?)

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    me either i just wanted to install as few packages outside the official repos as possible. to get pdf working in chrome i just had to install a package called chromium-stable-libpdf. Not sure if that's available in ubunutu since i haven't tried.
    I can't find anything like it in the repos. Maybe you have to have some PPA.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I can't find anything like it in the repos. Maybe you have to have some PPA.
    pretty sure you have to download the google chrome deb and extract it's contents and then copy the .so file to the right directory in ubuntu. that's what the pkgbuild does in the aur.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could probably extract the libpdf.so file from the Chrome .deb file as outlined in the Arch wiki, just follow the manual instructions from this page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...nside_Chromium

Edit: Sniped by mamamia88. BOOM!!
    Cheesemill

Beans

I want to use the PDF plugin and the newer Flash, so I figure I might as well just use Chrome rather than get them working in Chromium (even though it's not hard, that's not the reason). No problems here
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    I want to use the PDF plugin and the newer Flash, so I figure I might as well just use Chrome rather than get them working in Chromium (even though it's not hard, that's not the reason). No problems here
    no official chrome in arch but it's in the aur. would take way too long to download and build with every release. building pepper flash and libpdf with yaourt though takes next to no time though.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Chromium is faster, and no pdf-viewing or flash-support by default. Probably already been mentioned. Personally I use neither.. but if I fly need to open some pdf in browser then there's plenty of sites that can render them for me.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

pretty sure you have to download the google chrome deb and extract it's contents and then copy the .so file to the right directory in ubuntu. that's what the pkgbuild does in the aur.
    That's exactly what I found out when I was trying to get it working in Chromium. Then I just thought to myself, why not just install and use Chrome where everything just works, instead of installing Chrome, finding the right libs, transferring it to Chromium, and uninstalling Chrome? The fact that Chromium is FOSS is not a good reason because the pdf libs are proprietary.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

no official chrome in arch but it's in the aur. would take way too long to download and build with every release. building pepper flash and libpdf with yaourt though takes next to no time though.
    It doesn't take long to download and build. I use yaourt to update, and all it needs to do is download the deb (or rpm, not sure which it uses, makes no difference) and extract it and install it. It doesn't need to do any compiling or anything. Remember, it's not open source, so it's a binary I know libpdf and pepper flash are in AUR, but wouldn't yaourt want to download Chrome twice, once for each of those packages to update them (plus the Chromium download when that updates)? I'll just stick to the Chrome AUR package, no reason to switch if you ask me.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    It doesn't take long to download and build. I use yaourt to update, and all it needs to do is download the deb (or rpm, not sure which it uses, makes no difference) and extract it and install it. It doesn't need to do any compiling or anything. Remember, it's not open source, so it's a binary I know libpdf and pepper flash are in AUR, but wouldn't yaourt want to download Chrome twice, once for each of those packages to update them (plus the Chromium download when that updates)? I'll just stick to the Chrome AUR package, no reason to switch if you ask me.
    it actually does download the chrome rpm for both. i'll install chrome with yaourt and see if it's as fast. if so i'll probably stick with that. edit yep pretty much exactly what i thought. takes about just as much time to update pepper flash and libpdf to update via yaourt. at least on my computer. and it tells me i need to install openssl098 as well. so i can either use chromium from the repos and 2 different packages from the aur or i could use two packages from the aur. wonder why chrome isn't just moved to official repos for people who would prefer to use it
    Last edited by mamamia88; October 10th, 2012 at 05:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Does anyone know why Chromium is no longer being updated in Ubuntu? 12.10 has the exact same version as 12.04, which is of course outdated (released July 28th). All PPAs have extremely outdated packages from like a year ago. What's going on?
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast