Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Nanny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Gnome Nanny

Ya, I like it. Coming over from Windows, I have learned a lot.

Any tips on how I can post better? Always trying to improve communication skills.

Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by toolmania1 View Post
    Ya, I like it. Coming over from Windows, I have learned a lot.

Any tips on how I can post better? Always trying to improve communication skills.

I think you're posting clearly. BodhiZ was just not aware of the misbehavior of Nanny, which also I have suffered since update to 10.10. That's why he didn't fully understand your question.

How did you solve the problem ? I was unable to find the answer from these posts.

EDIT. Am I blind ? You used dansguardian instead. Misbehavior of Nanny remains unsolved-

Yours

Jallu59
    Last edited by Jallu59; December 7th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Jari J. Lehtinen, an elder ICT-pro with working experience since 1977.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by toolmania1 View Post
    I installed Gnome Nanny. I can choose the times when the computer can be used and limit the internet. However, these times are not being enforced. Is there some other settings that are used to enforce these settings?
    ... and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jallu59 View Post
    Am I blind ? You used dansguardian instead. Misbehavior of Nanny remains unsolved-
    I can confirm you that I got Nanny to work on Oneiric pretty well and posted my remarks about it in https://bugs.launchpad.net/nanny/+bug/877318

Basically, you can use the Ubuntu repositories version (2.31.1) and easily fix the minor stuff, and at least enforcing the times will work. It may be not perfect, though. (I had some issues with autostart applications starting after Nanny blocked the desktop and which appeared above the blocker.)

That's why I took a newer development version from Nanny's GIT repository which has updated desktop blocker and this seems to work even better after some patching. I did quite a many fixes for the code myself and implemented even a system of rewarding computer use time for accepting chores from predefined list (each of them rewards different amount of time).

I plan to publish my code any time soon, but if somebody would like to help testing it first, I can send the package. I attached some images, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Tabbernuk View Post
    I plan to publish my code any time soon, but if somebody would like to help testing it first, I can send the package. I attached some images, too.
    If you are not familiar with it, I suggest you use a ppa.

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

Canonical also offers assistance for packaging

http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/my-apps-packages/
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    If you are not familiar with it, I suggest you use a ppa.
    You can install some of my test builds from: https://launchpad.net/~boamaod/+archive/nanny-test

Beans

Oh ! Thanks for providing us with a PPA ! I've been looking for a way to get Nanny to work for months... Well, even years if I recall correctly ! Desperately needed it. (not really willing to spend hours to configure other pieces of software. Well, I could, but that's not satisfying)

Thanks ! I really hope it will be fixed upstream and will work out of the box in 12.04 !

Beans

Just made a couple of tests. It seems to work, although I have the following issues :

- I cannot get the systray indicator to work (so I don't know how much time I have left).

In the terminal, I get : (I tried under Cinnamon as well, to check if it was due to the lack of systray)

Code:
    ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.13:/org/gnome/Nanny: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.152" (uid=1001 pid=3919 comm="python /usr/bin/nanny-systray ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=1141 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/twistd --uid root --gid r")
    Reconnecting to new nanny server instance
    ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.13:/org/gnome/Nanny: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.152" (uid=1001 pid=3919 comm="python /usr/bin/nanny-systray ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=1141 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/twistd --uid root --gid r")
    - After a while (I'll have to double check and see if it's reproducable) I couldn't start the Nanny GUI either with some kind of dbus-related error. Rebooted and it worked again - a log out wasn't enough.

Cheers & thanks a lot !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
    Just made a couple of tests. It seems to work, although I have the following issues :

- I cannot get the systray indicator to work (so I don't know how much time I have left).

In the terminal, I get : (I tried under Cinnamon as well, to check if it was due to the lack of systray)

Code:
    Reconnecting to new nanny server instance
    - After a while (I'll have to double check and see if it's reproducable) I couldn't start the Nanny GUI either with some kind of dbus-related error. Rebooted and it worked again - a log out wasn't enough.

Cheers & thanks a lot !!
    I think rebooting starts the daemon properly. Maybe it can be enhanced, I'm not sure.

Yes, I didn't take time to try to fix the SysTray application because I don't really need/use it and it probably also needs to be converted to appinidicator system. I described my changes in changelog (at https://launchpadlibrarian.net/90786...source.changes). I also considered creating a Screenlet to display used time etc, but haven't had time to do it.

Also, I don't know what to do with blocking individual applications. Anybody seen it in action? How does it work exactly? I wonder if this has worked in any point of time at all, because I don't see any code that does it. Maybe this needs some design decisions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have done some work on Nanny again. This time I have fixed:

* DBus daemon settings for normal users (before worked only as admin)
    * Timeout button label (on second run)
    * Unity delay hack (was broken in Unity 2D)
    * Support for Unity 2D, GNOME, GNOME Classic, Lubuntu, LXDE

The packages are at: ppa:boamaod/nanny-test

Beans

Thanks for your work Guido ! Oops, too bad I cannot test it right now (switched to KDE) !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast