Page 117 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1386

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Ooooh... Not if you want to go from light and trim to extra heavy super-sized install. I'm thinking you went to xfce to stay light right?

Sent you a PM... Above said it installed fine without errors and created an xorg.conf... ? Waiting on your xorg.0.log file as request in the PM.
    thanks for the PM. Please see the log file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by motomixon View Post
    Wow

It works!

I wonder if MDM got installed when I installed digikam from Software Manager, or Photive (from a PPA).

My sincere thanks to you and bogan for helping me fix this.
    All the best,
    Michael
    I'm thinking for you, it was LightDM that was additionally installed somewhere along the way.

Good job. You are welcome.

Hear from you when your are ready for your Lenovo.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by abhayadevs View Post
    thanks for the PM. Please see the log file attached.
    Wait a minute. You said nVidia, but in one of the xorg logs, it suseccssfully loads nVidia, then in both logs... then loads intel and through the intel driver sees your display.

Is this one a laptop with switched hybrid graphics? That is why it is in low-graphics mode. It is switched to the Intel GPU.

Please post the result of
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA
    And post the make and model...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Wait a minute. You said nVidia, but in one of the xorg logs, it suseccssfully loads nVidia, then in both logs... then loads intel and through the intel driver sees your display.

Is this one a laptop with switched hybrid graphics? That is why it is in low-graphics mode. It is switched to the Intel GPU.

Please post the result of
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA
    And post the make and model...
    lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:29c2] (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] [10de:0640] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

the make and model i am not sure because i haven't pulledd out the card. this is one just came in and i just started with it. for you i am attaching the output of the "sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh"

also, should i try disabling the onboard graphics (intel)?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:29c2] (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] [10de:0640] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

the make and model i am not sure because i haven't pulledd out the card. this is one just came in and i just started with it. for you i am attaching the output of the "sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh"

also, should i try disabling the onboard graphics (intel)?

OOPS, I JUST DISABLED THE ON-BOARD GFx AND ITS WORKING....

Now the display is via the GFx HDMI port. Thanks and let me check the other ports also....

thanks to all of you for the support ...
    Regards,
    Abhayadev S

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OOPS, I JUST DISABLED THE ON-BOARD GFx AND ITS WORKING....

Now the display is via the GFx HDMI port. Thanks and let me check the other ports also....

thanks to all of you for the support ...
    Good deal and happy it's going now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks so much for this thread!

I have a HP laptop with Intel i915 graphics and an ATI graphics card.
    I had big problems with Ubuntu 12.04, and got it to boot past the black screen by using kernel args:
    "nomodereset nosplash acpi_osi=Linux".
    Well this failed totally when I upgraded to 12.10.

I finally got things to work with an additional kernel arg:
    "i915.blacklist=1"

Yaay!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

RJ45-
    Good job and happy you are going again.

Beans

I am having the same problem, probably due to graphics drivers having to be recompiled.
    What I can do: get into GRUB, edit lines etc. Boot with kernel 3.5.0.17
    What I can't do: boot with kernel 3.5.0.25 use ctrl-f1 to get into a terminal session

I am stuck at the following:
    Note on the "text" option. Stopped working as of Kernel 3.x.x. I have a Luancpad and Upstream Linux (kernel.org) bug opened on this. My workaround for this is to substitute the option "single" and either use the "root prompt" or to use "resume" which should then resume to a tty text prompt.
    However, in GRUB I do not see the word "single" so I do not know how to use this instruction correctly for kernel 3.x. So what I got so far is:
    /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0.25-generic root=UUID=f919a2b9-c794-4fce-9782-bb7c34acf48e ro nosplash
    What should I put behind nosplash as --verbose text does not work for kernel 3.x?

Beans

I have tried reinstalling the open-source drivers with this guide: http://askubuntu.com/questions/77661...river-on-my-pc
    The weird thing is, upon reboot I got image on my screen, could login etc BUT it was all shifted! The left 1/3 part of my desktop was showing on the right. My mouse behaved like that too, I couldn't get to the left part of the screen by moving the cursor left, where the image physically was, I had to move it to the right, of the screen to see it appear on the other side again. I thought, maybe I have to reboot and if it still isn't right I'll make a screenie. But now I'm back to only GRUB...

I really hope someone can help, as this computer needs to be back at my parents this afternoon and I don't wanna go back to Windows.

Edit: I can get into 3.5.0.25 by putting nomodeset in the kernel line in GRUB. Any pointers for what I should do now? Did I use the correct manner of installing the open-source drivers?

Edit 2: found som errors in the xsession-errors file:
    Code:
    openConnection: connect: Bestand of map bestaat niet
    cannot connect to brltty at :0

(xfsettingsd:1782): xfsettingsd-WARNING **: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1777): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1777): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1832): libindicator-WARNING **: IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.

(xfce4-indicator-plugin:1832): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)' failed
    But the file was altered while typing this so it might be errors with the VESA driver. Also checked kernel.log but found nothing.
    Last edited by _JT; March 5th, 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Page 117 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast