Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    First of all, Winbind did not prevent your computer from starting, Firestarter did.

Have you looked at the Vista specific information in the howto? I believe it's been updated since you saw it last.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I can offer much more help unless you remove Firestarter in favor of UFW, and reinstall Winbind.

As far as I know, Firestarter is not installed on my system. I find no link to it to suggest it's installed. And as I said, winbind freezes the system when trying to start; un-installing it allows a normal boot.

Yes, I have read the Vista how-to. As I mentioned originally, though, I have un-limited access to another share on the same computer with the same fstab commands. I have checked the security of my two shares in Vista against eaach other & I don't find any differences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jhamric View Post
    As far as I know, Firestarter is not installed on my system. I find no link to it to suggest it's installed. And as I said, winbind freezes the system when trying to start; un-installing it allows a normal boot.

Yes, I have read the Vista how-to. As I mentioned originally, though, I have un-limited access to another share on the same computer with the same fstab commands. I have checked the security of my two shares in Vista against eaach other & I don't find any differences.
    My sincere apologies, it seems I got your problem confused with radiot.

I think the answer to your problem may lie in what's causing winbind to hang. There should be several older versions of the winbind log (eg: winbindd.1.gz, winbindd.2.gz), and the errors should appear in one of them.

Are your two different Vista computers installed with different versions of Vista? While chmodding the folder may have fixed the problem temporarily, it's unlikely to be a long term solution, as other computers write to the share, the permissions will change.
    Last edited by dmizer; June 10th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Beans

My sincere apologies, it seems I got your problem confused with radiot.

I think the answer to your problem may lie in what's causing winbind to hang. There should be several older versions of the winbind log (eg: winbindd.1.gz, winbindd.2.gz), and the errors should appear in one of them.

Are your two different Vista computers insta thatlled with different versions of Vista? While chmodding the folder may have fixed the problem temporarily, it's unlikely to be a long term solution, as other computers write to the share, the permissions will change.
    log.winbindd.1 shows:
    [2009/06/04 21:09:11, 0] winbindd/winbindd.c:main(1125)
    winbindd version 3.3.2 started.

So I guess the process is starting. But why it freezes my system I don't get.

The Vista shares are on the same computer & there's only one version of Vista. The shares are just different partitions. I'm really the only one that routinely accesses the shares, especially from Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

But why it freezes my system I don't get.
    Are you using a wireless connection, and is it managed by network-manager?

The Vista shares are on the same computer & there's only one version of Vista. The shares are just different partitions. I'm really the only one that routinely accesses the shares, especially from Ubuntu.
    This is very likely just a small difference in configuration between the two shares. Probably permissions on the partitions themselves.

Beans

Are you using a wireless connection, and is it managed by network-manager?

Yes to both.

This is very likely just a small difference in configuration between the two shares. Probably permissions on the partitions themselves.
    I've come to that conclusion, too. Damned if I can find the difference, though.

Beans
    Distro

I think that your system may be hanging as a result of network-manager, but the only way I can think of to test this theory would be to uninstall network-manager in favor of another tool like wicd or gnome-network-admin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

I'm having problems with Samba after enabling ufw, and I read through
    the part pertaining to fixing it, but still have some issues pertaining to the correct commands..

You say to "Change 192.168.1.0 to match your own network", and so my local ip address is 192.168.0.106. Does this mean the command will go

from:sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135 from 192.168.1.0/24
    to:sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135 from 192.168.0.106/24

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantOreo View Post
    Does this mean the command will go

from:sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135 from 192.168.1.0/24
    to:sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135 from 192.168.0.106/24

Cheers.
    Not quite. It will be:
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow proto tcp to any port 135 from 192.168.0.0/24
    This essentially means that UFW will accept incoming connections from any computer with an IP address of 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254
    Last edited by dmizer; June 12th, 2009 at 07:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Dmizer: I just ran the commands with the address you listed, but samba still gives the error "Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server." What should I do, short of disabling ufw?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantOreo View Post
    Dmizer: I just ran the commands with the address you listed, but samba still gives the error "Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server." What should I do, short of disabling ufw?

Thanks.
    Have you tried implementing the solutions to the other problems as well? If not, I suggest doing so.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast