Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LXQt switch

Beans

LXQt switch

Lubuntu is about to change into LXQt. Latest release notes state:

I'm curious what exactly has been done so far to mark this transition. Any previews or test releases where we can see how Lubuntu will look? Also, what happens when LXDE becomes deprecated? Will it be ok to keep it and still use it?

I would like to hear some feedback from current LXQt users - how is it?

Beans

Re: LXQt switch

Quote Originally Posted by forneus2 View Post
    Lubuntu is about to change into LXQt. Latest release notes state:

I'm curious what exactly has been done so far to mark this transition. Any previews or test releases where we can see how Lubuntu will look? Also, what happens when LXDE becomes deprecated? Will it be ok to keep it and still use it?

I would like to hear some feedback from current LXQt users - how is it?
    You may find it more convenient to copy text and paste it here between quote tags or code tags as appropriate rather than providing an image.

You can try out LXQt in Lubuntu for yourself on your hardware by downloading an appropriate iso and testing it in a virtual machine or by making a live USB.

Beans

Beans

You may find it more convenient to copy text and paste it here between quote tags or code tags as appropriate rather than providing an image.
    I appreciate the advice.

I don't want to mess with the virtual machine for this one-time testing purpose (I have a low specs netbook). Burning and trying out unreleased test live images is not my thing either. My only concern is what happens to an LXDE user after the switch. I love LXDE and would love to keep it as long as possible. Just curious how the EOL (if that can be called EOL) will impact the performance (bugs? crashes? incompatibilities?). That's why I'm relying on current actual users' opinion.

Beans

Beans

That's informative. Thank you, Temüjin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Having tried LXQT I am underwhelmed. It is much heavier than LXDE. Perhaps it should be called MXQT instead....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JonPaul View Post
    Having tried LXQT I am underwhelmed. It is much heavier than LXDE. Perhaps it should be called MXQT instead....
    That's not an unfair conclusion at the present time! On the other hand, the Lubuntu team isn't claiming that LXQt is ready for public consumption. Looks like they still need time to make it a fitting replacement for LXDE ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Actually it was a bit unfair - having added lxqt on top of lubuntu it seems that some of the apps were duplicating in autostart. having fixed this the difference was down to 40Mb - only around 10% more than lxde.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

LXQT is not ready for prime time yet. It may be a while before it is.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast