Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

Quote Originally Posted by xieu90 View Post
    how do I know if my computer has GTK or not ?

Checking for GTK+ version ... GTK-2 devel packages were not found, trying GTK 1.2
    Checking for GTK version ...
    Error: The GUI requires GTK devel packages (which were not found).

Check "configure.log" if you do not understand why it failed.

how can I install that one ?
    The GTK-2 dev package is called libgtk2.0-dev I believe. So running "sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev should install it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi,
    A broader issue is a miscalculation that I have made in the differences between versions of Ubuntu. What I am working on is a small rewrite of this guide that will target only one version: Gutsy Gibbon, This will make installation and troubleshooting easier.

Really the major difference will be the dev packages. The use of svn, setting up of skins etc will remain unchanged.

Andrew
    Why not have a list of dev packages for a few versions of Ubuntu? I can confirm that the following works in Feisty:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install liblame-dev libdvdread3-dev libdvdnav-dev libogg-dev \
    libvorbis-dev libxv-dev libtheora-dev libpng12-dev libmpcdec-dev \
    libcdparanoia0-dev libxinerama-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libjpeg62-dev \
    libgdk-pixbuf-dev libfreetype6-dev libexpat1-dev libfontconfig1-dev \
    libcaca-dev libfaac-dev libmp4v2-dev libaa1-dev libavcodec-dev \
    libavifile-0.7-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libfaad2-dev libice-dev \
    libmatroska-dev libmad0-dev libmp4v2-dev libmikmod2-dev libpostproc-dev \
    libspeex-dev libxvidcore4-dev libxvidcore4 avifile-xvid-plugin \
    avifile-divx-plugin ladspa-sdk libsvga1-dev libsvga1 libungif4-dev \
    libungif4g libenca-dev libdfb++-0.9-25 libdfb++-dev libdirectfb-0.9-25 \
    libdirectfb-dev libavformat-dev libfame-0.9 libfame-dev zlib1g-dev \
    liblivemedia-dev libfribidi-dev libdvdnav4 libdvdplay0 libasound2-dev \
    libdv4-dev libpopt-dev zlib1g-dev xlibs-dev libflac++-dev libflac-dev \
    liboggflac++-dev liboggflac-dev toolame ttf-bitstream-vera \
    libdbus-glib-1-dev libx264-dev libggi2-dev libxvmc-dev libxxf86vm-dev \
    libxxf86dga-dev libfontconfig-dev libartsc0-dev \
    libglu1-mesa-dev libdts-dev libdvdread-dev libdv-dev \
    libpng12-dev libsmbclient-dev gawk sharutils libaudiofile-dev liblzo-dev \
    libc6-dev libggimisc2 libggimisc2-dev libggiwmh0 libggiwmh0-dev \
    libatk1.0-dev libcairo2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libpango1.0-dev \
    libxcursor-dev libxfixes-dev x11proto-fixes-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev
    Last edited by tribble222; October 1st, 2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fixed feisty dev packages

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for your message:

Quote Originally Posted by tribble222 View Post
    Why not have a list of dev packages for a few versions of Ubuntu? I can confirm that the following works in Feisty [...]:
    I guess because my aim was to establish a guide that I could troubleshoot, answer questions on, be reasonably authoritative on and continue to develop. To do this with complex software like mplayer and with the limited time available to me it would make sense to focus on one version of ubuntu.only. And as gusty is coming into its own....

Mind you as you have posted the dev files that work with Feisty this has now gone on permanent record in these forums and will be a resource for those who use Feisty.

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi,

Well hopefully this will not put too many people out but I have changed the guide a little to reflect Gutsy Gibbons needs. Specifically this will mean that the dev files will need to be adjusted for Dapper, Edgy and Feisty.

As I have mentioned before this gives me the chance to focus specifically on one version of the guide rather than troubleshooting a few different versions.

Sorry if anybody is put out by this. Note that a version of the dev files for Feisty has already been posted in this thread. Plus of course experimentation with different libraris / dev files will alter and extend mplayer's capabilities. I am hoping that this guide will only be a start.

BTW if you are not familiar with svn I probably should mention that you can open a Terminal window in the directory of the mplayer source code and run:

Code:
    svn update
    to retrieve updated files from the svn repository rather than download the full thing again. And of course run the command:

Code:
    make clean
    before reconfiguring. To uninstall mplayer run the following command from the mplayer source code directory,:

Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    How cool is that!!!

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Code:
    $ tar xjvf all-20061022.tar.bz2
    $ sudo mkdir -v /usr/local/lib/codecs
    $ sudo cp -v $HOME/Desktop/all-20061022/*.* /usr/local/lib/codecs
    The above can be shortened to:
    Code:
    mkdir -v /usr/local/lib/codecs
    sudo tar -xjvf all-20061012.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local/lib/codecs
    The switch --codecsdir is not needed if you place the codecs in either /usr/lib/codecs or /usr/local/lib/codecs.

I usually compile x264 from svn as well before building mplayer.

If you happen to be using compiz, the patch attached here -> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/002494.html
    will help video playback using -vo xv.

Also, if you would like to create a deb package you can do the following (needs fakeroot and dpkg-dev):
    Code:
    cd  /path/to/mplayer-svn/source
    DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--enable-gui --enable-largefiles --enable-xvmc" fakeroot debian/rules binary

Beans

Hi,

Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions:

Quote Originally Posted by shirilover View Post
    The above can be shortened to:
    Code:
    mkdir -v /usr/local/lib/codecs
    sudo tar -xjvf all-20061012.tar.bz2 -C /usr/local/lib/codecs
    I love this and have added it to the guide.

The switch --codecsdir is not needed if you place the codecs in either /usr/lib/codecs or /usr/local/lib/codecs.
    I have also specified a reasonably redundant --prefix=/usr/local in the configure options. I have been a little overly pedantic to ensure that those who do not have a lot of experience with svn / compiling etc should be very unlikely to come to grief.

I usually compile x264 from svn as well before building mplayer.
    This sounds fascinating and I will investigate it for my own copy of mplayer. I suspect it goes a little beyond this little guide though

If you happen to be using compiz, the patch attached here -> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ly/002494.html
    will help video playback using -vo xv.
    Don't use compiz myself and I have a deep-seated suspicion about all eye-candy (retires briefly to put on asbestos suit).

Also, if you would like to create a deb package you can do the following (needs fakeroot and dpkg-dev):
    Code:
    cd  /path/to/mplayer-svn/source
    DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--enable-gui --enable-largefiles --enable-xvmc" fakeroot debian/rules binary
    Thanks for this information and all the other suggestions. I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your post.

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey all.

I tried to install the mplayer and when I used sudo mkdir -v /usr/local/lib/codecs

I got an out put: mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/codecs': File exists
    do you know why?
    And yes I have root rights. in case you wander

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gouz View Post
    Hey all.

I tried to install the mplayer and when I used sudo mkdir -v /usr/local/lib/codecs

I got an out put: mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/codecs': File exists
    do you know why?
    That's okay -- it existed already for me too. In my case because I had already installed mplayer before. Just ignore it and move on to the next step and you'll be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok I think I did it, but I can't install a skin, I go confused from the code in the first page cause of the $ and then HOME isnt it /home/ the directory?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gouz View Post
    ok I think I did it, but I can't install a skin, I go confused from the code in the first page cause of the $ and then HOME isnt it /home/ the directory?
    When you type $home into the terminal it will act as your home directory. If you login name is gouz, then your home directory is /home/gouz/

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast