Thread: What does "grep "something" > /dev/null" do?

Beans

What does "grep "something" > /dev/null" do?

Stinkeye posted a code using wmctrl to detect whether a window is present (minimized or not). If it is present, it is brought into focus. If the window doesn't exist, the application is run:
    Code:
    sh -c "wmctrl -a <str> || <start command>"
    I came across a lengthier version here, and in the context of using wmctrl, it would look something like this:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

if wmctrl -l | grep -i "Firefox" > /dev/null
    then
      wmctrl -a firefox
    else
      firefox
    fi
    My question is about "grep -i "Firefox" > /dev/null": how does that work? What does "> /dev/null" do?

A second point is that the author used "[f]irefox" instead of just "firefox" but I couldn't understand the reason for that.
    Last edited by vasa1; October 13th, 2013 at 08:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What does "grep "something" > /dev/null" do?

/dev/null is a pseudodevice that acts as a garbage bin. Redirect there as if you redirected to a file, the difference being there will be no trace of output anywhere
    That said, the redirection was not necessary as grep has -q option that suppresses its output

Code:
    $ x='something firefox something'
    $ if echo "$x" | grep -i Firefox; then echo TRUE; else echo FALSE; fi
    something firefox something  <- we don't want to see this
    TRUE
    $ if echo "$x" | grep -i Firefox > /dev/null; then echo TRUE; else echo FALSE; fi
    TRUE
    $ if echo "$x" | grep -iq Firefox; then echo TRUE; else echo FALSE; fi
    TRUE
    $

as for bracketed first char. In comments below he explains it's there to avoid grep finding itself in case of ps aux | grep program.
    grep will show up as 'grep program' on the list of processes and will find itself and you will get something like this
    Code:
    $ ps aux | grep bash
    me   2017  0.0  0.1  22432  5220 pts/0    Ss   07:43   0:00 bash
    me   2072  0.0  0.1  22428  5200 pts/1    Ss+  07:53   0:00 [bash]
    me   2747  0.0  0.0   7652   920 pts/0    S+   09:19   0:00 grep --color=auto bash
    but when you run ps aux | grep [p]rogram
    Code:
    $ ps aux | grep [b]ash
    me   2017  0.0  0.1  22432  5220 pts/0    Ss   07:43   0:00 bash
    me   2072  0.0  0.1  22428  5200 pts/1    Ss+  07:53   0:00 [bash]
    grep --color auto [b]ash wont get matched because [b]ash regex doesn't match '[b]ash' string

that said, pgrep is a better tool for that
    Last edited by Vaphell; October 13th, 2013 at 08:27 AM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    /dev/null is a pseudodevice that acts as a garbage bin. Redirect there as if you redirected to a file, the difference being there will be no trace of output anywhere
    That said, the redirection was not necessary as grep has -q option that suppresses its output
    ...[/code]
    Okay, so in grep's specific case we can use -q but otherwise can use > /dev/null.

as for bracketed first char. ... because [b]ash regex doesn't match '[b]ash' string
    Yet another type of regex! From here, it appears that the rules change with bash updates!
    BTW, this link also says that "we highly recommend you just never quote your regex". Is that why the string wasn't between double quotes? So we should just do
    Code:
     grep -options string
    and not
    Code:
    grep -options "string"
    that said, pgrep is a better tool for that
    Is that because of "The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match." (from man pgrep)?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Okay, so in grep's specific case we can use -q but otherwise can use > /dev/null.
    The -q option is not portable to all Unix-like systems. So if you are interested in developing portable scripts, I would recommend using /dev/null to dispose of unwanted output.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post
    The -q option is not portable to all Unix-like systems. So if you are interested in developing portable scripts, I would recommend using /dev/null to dispose of unwanted output.
    Thanks for that! Despite my bean count, I'm just a beginner in scripting and by no means close to developing anything. But I'm enjoying learning the tricks of the trade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post

Yet another type of regex! From here, it appears that the rules change with bash updates!
    BTW, this link also says that "we highly recommend you just never quote your regex". Is that why the string wasn't between double quotes? So we should just do
    Code:
     grep -options string
    and not
    Code:
    grep -options "string"
    there are 2 kinds of patterns
    - shell globs: eg [abc]*, used in shells to match files
    - regular expressions: eg [abc].*, used to match text in grep, sed, awk, you name it + bash [[ ]]

in case of bash globs you don't want to quote it too much, because quoted wildcards like * lose their magic
    Code:
    ls 'abc*' # literal 'abc*'
    ls 'abc'* # anything that matches 'abc'+<whatever>
    ls "$var"/* # anything under dir named $var
    in case of globs used with find -name you need to quote them to prevent upacking the expression before find runs ( shell: step1 - expand parameters and globs, step2 - run command with the results)
    let's say you have a dir tree with few avi files at top level
    Code:
    find -iname *.avi # will expand glob to find -iname 'file1.avi' 'file2.avi' = error
    Code:
    find -iname '*.avi' # passes the glob unchanged to find, only there it gets used properly
    inside [[ ]] test brackets different rules apply. It's the only place where you can use unquoted variables and get away with it.
    Code:
    $ x='abc def'
    $ [[ $x =~ 'abc.*' ]] && echo true # didn't work because regex assumed by =~ operator included quotes
    $ [[ $x =~ abc.* ]] && echo true
    true
    $ [[ $x = 'abc def' ]] && echo true  # would fail in [ ] with too many arguments error
    true
    Any other case of using regexes falls under standard rules and you want to always wrap them, preferably in single quotes to avoid surprises, because yet again shell would try to expand the parameter and if there is a matching file, grep would get things other than what you intended.

Is that because of "The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match." (from man pgrep)?
    yes, besides it's a tool that specializes in processes, why not use that instead of parsing outputs by hand?
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

there are 2 kinds of patterns
    - shell globs: eg [abc]*, used in shells to match files
    - regular expressions: eg [abc].*, used to match text in grep, sed, awk, you name it + bash [[ ]]

in case of bash globs you don't want to quote it too much, because quoted wildcards like * lose their magic ...

in case of globs used with find -name you need to quote them to prevent upacking the expression before find runs ( shell: step1 - expand parameters and globs, step2 - run command with the results) ...
    inside [[ ]] test brackets different rules apply. It's the only place where you can use unquoted variables and get away with it.
    Any other case of using regexes falls under standard rules and you want to always wrap them, preferably in single quotes to avoid surprises, because yet again shell would try to expand the parameter and if there is a matching file, grep would get things other than what you intended.
    I've saved this post for future reference. I came across globbing first when using Privoxy's user.action file for making blocking rules. I'm not sure I fully grasped the subtleties involved but went ahead by trial-and-error and looking at Privoxy's logs.
    Find also gave me quite a bit of grief but I'll give it another go with the knowledge I gained here. But I'm going to make another post about
    grep --color auto [b]ash wont get matched because [b]ash regex doesn't match '[b]ash' string

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post
    -q is mandated by POSIX.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」