Thread: I did not get free space back after uninstalling Ubuntu 12.10 via wubi

Beans

I did not get free space back after uninstalling Ubuntu 12.10 via wubi

Hello!

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 via wubi. Because of some problems with the wifi connection I chose to uninstall it. I started wubi again and it said that I have to uninstall ubuntu before installing it again. So I agreed to uninstall ubuntu without installing a new version. However, although ubuntu is gone (or so it seems, I cannot access it anymore), I now have 4GB less free space available on my hard disk. I started the disk management, and there is no ubuntu partition. I wonder where the 4GB have gone, I would like to remove it completely. I did not install anything else in the meantime.

I use a Thinkpad e420s with Windows 7 Pro OEM.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by nershin; March 19th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I did not get free space back after uninstalling Ubuntu 12.10 via wubi

Wubi installations live in the C:\ubuntu folder unless you specified a differnet drive during installation.

If there is no data you need from the Ubuntu installation then you can just delete this folder, although it should have been done for you when you uninstalled Ubuntu.
    Cheesemill

Beans

The folder does not exist anymore, so there is nothing that I can delete.

The disk manager says that my hard disk has a capacity of 119,24GB. However, the listed size is 128GB. Is this difference of 9GB normal? As far as I can see, this is the only place where the 4GB might have been lost.

Is it possible that Windows installs updates of the size of 4GB within a few hours? I have to say that my notebook is brand new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You're getting caught out by the different way in which people measure GB.

Hard drive manufacturers use the measurement 1GB = 1000 x 1000 x 1000 Bytes whereas computers use the measurement 1GB = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 Bytes. If you do the maths then what drive manufacturers call 1GB is actually 0.93GB.

The actual size of your hard drive is 128GB x 0.93 = 119.2GB which is what is being reported, you haven't lost any space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyt...umer_confusion
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nershin View Post
    The folder does not exist anymore, so there is nothing that I can delete.

The disk manager says that my hard disk has a capacity of 119,24GB. However, the listed size is 128GB. Is this difference of 9GB normal? As far as I can see, this is the only place where the 4GB might have been lost.

Is it possible that Windows installs updates of the size of 4GB within a few hours? I have to say that my notebook is brand new.
    It might be different ways of specifying Gb:

either 1 GB =10^9 B or 1 GB = 1024*1024*1024 B (alias Gibibytes)

119.24*1.024*1.024*1.024=128
    Last edited by sudodus; March 19th, 2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: ninja'd by Cheesemill