Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Packages

Beans

Necessary Packages

Hi. Have now, with help from Forums members, got rid of Windows, and installed Xubuntu 11.10.

Question is, what, if anything, do I need to install, apart from that which was on the DVD?

Keep reading, on Internet, about Unity, Compitz etc, but everything., with a few exceptions, appears to be working well.

Still a bit confused about what Desktop, if any I have (and why no Wallpaper), and do I really need a Launcher?

Sorry if pain, but want to get most of new system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Necessary Packages

Hi,
    Xubuntu is a "desktop environment" more detail here: http://lifehacker.com/5762081/wtf-de...more-explained

If your system is running fine then no need to add stuff but if you go to Software Centre through the menu you can choose all sorts of compatible and safe apps to install with a couple of clicks http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/feature...oftware-centre
    As I discovered early on though if you install apps with a captital "K" you might end up with a lot of Kubuntu added to your Xubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leilton View Post
    ... (and why no Wallpaper)...
    ??? Open the Run dialog (Alt+F2 or "Run" in the Xfce Menu) and enter "xfce4-settings-manager" without quotes, then go to "Desktop". Can you set one from there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi. Have now, with help from Forums members, got rid of Windows, and installed Xubuntu 11.10.

Question is, what, if anything, do I need to install, apart from that which was on the DVD?

Keep reading, on Internet, about Unity, Compitz etc, but everything., with a few exceptions, appears to be working well.

Still a bit confused about what Desktop, if any I have (and why no Wallpaper), and do I really need a Launcher?

Sorry if pain, but want to get most of new system.
    Hi there, as to what you need... well not much really! Ubuntu and it's lightweight sisters Xu and Lu buntu come with most things you'd need.. the rest are optionals

A couple of recommendations that are very common to install:
    wine - this is a "compatibility layer" for windows apps - basically it lets some windows programs run on xubuntu. for a full list of what, check out wineHQ

Ubuntu Restricted Extras - proprietary codecs for audio/video, MS fonts, and flash.

Compizconfig Settings Manager - enables several desktop effects (may not be recommended for hardware with limited graphics

Most of the rest is just preference - do you like chromium or firefox? abiword or libre office writer, that sort of thing.. most of the popular software now has user reviews in the software centre

All the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you need multimedia codecs, do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    If you need multimedia codecs, do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras
    Hi,

Thank you.

Found that in Synaptic, have loaded it?, and will have fun rest of day seeing what I have.

Thanks for help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    Hi,
    Xubuntu is a "desktop environment" more detail here: http://lifehacker.com/5762081/wtf-de...more-explained

If your system is running fine then no need to add stuff but if you go to Software Centre through the menu you can choose all sorts of compatible and safe apps to install with a couple of clicks http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/feature...oftware-centre
    As I discovered early on though if you install apps with a captital "K" you might end up with a lot of Kubuntu added to your Xubuntu!
    Thanks much.

Good idea. Seeing as it is b..........y cold here in Spain, will spend day going thru everthing I can find, no not downloading, just check what is on offer.

Love the System, dont know why did not do change before.
    Last edited by leilton; January 28th, 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: missed word

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    ??? Open the Run dialog (Alt+F2 or "Run" in the Xfce Menu) and enter "xfce4-settings-manager" without quotes, then go to "Desktop". Can you set one from there?
    Thanks for that, more so for the info on the keys.

Yes knew about the desktop, but on my machine that has Ubuntu, I can select a number of different backgrounds, seem a bit limited with Xubuntu, but beggers cant be choosers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnu/mirow View Post
    Hi there, as to what you need... well not much really! Ubuntu and it's lightweight sisters Xu and Lu buntu come with most things you'd need.. the rest are optionals

A couple of recommendations that are very common to install:
    wine - this is a "compatibility layer" for windows apps - basically it lets some windows programs run on xubuntu. for a full list of what, check out wineHQ

Ubuntu Restricted Extras - proprietary codecs for audio/video, MS fonts, and flash.

Compizconfig Settings Manager - enables several desktop effects (may not be recommended for hardware with limited graphics

Most of the rest is just preference - do you like chromium or firefox? abiword or libre office writer, that sort of thing.. most of the popular software now has user reviews in the software centre

All the best
    Thank you.

Am amazed at the amount of support have received to my question.

Have all three of the items you quoted, so now know what I'll be doing for the next few days.

Whilst I am on the air, so to speak, can I ask, if you dont mind, do I need a security pro gramme, on Windows I had four?

Again my thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

... if you dont mind, do I need a security pro gramme, on Windows I had four?...
    The short answer is "none" but have a read here for why, and what you might want to consider eg passwords etc.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast