Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gens/GS Milestone 5

Beans

Gens/GS Milestone 6

Here's the Milestone 6 release of my version of Gens, Gens/GS. Milestone 6 introduces the new MDP plugin system. Currently, plugins must be built into the Gens executable, but the next version will add support for external plugins.

Also, Gens/GS m6 has several new renderers: Scale3x, Scale4x, hq3x, and hq4x.

Downloads:

For more information, see http://info.sonicretro.org/Gens/GS
    Last edited by GerbilSoft; December 8th, 2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Milestone 6 version bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gens/GS Milestone 5

Very cool indeed. Its nice to have an identical version for Linux and Windows. I don't need to use Kega Fusion anymore

I'll link to Gens/GS in my Gens thread and let the Google spiders do their thing...

Keep up the good work!

And heres an RPM for anyone who needs it:

http://www.zshare.net/download/50439696022b92a5/
    Last edited by megamaced; October 26th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Beans

thanks so much guys!

and thank you megamaced! i came to this thread to see if anyone could make an rpm package.

UPDATE:
    works great on opensuse 11.0 x86.
    Last edited by disturbedite; October 26th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for your efforts, Gerbil

One question before I test it out. Will Gens/GS overwrite my existing Gens for Linux? I don't really care if it does, I was just hoping to try to run a side by side comparison.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Disreali View Post
    Thanks for your efforts, Gerbil

One question before I test it out. Will Gens/GS overwrite my existing Gens for Linux? I don't really care if it does, I was just hoping to try to run a side by side comparison.
    Installing Gens/GS will remove Gens. There is no need to perform a side by side comparision, Gens/GS is far superior.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thank you VERY MUCH! =)

Beans

sonicretro seems to be down.

I am really looking forward to trying the emulator though!

EDIT: It went up again, and I have your Gens version installed!

You've taken an emulator I couldn't even stand before, and made it great! Thanks! And while I am on x86 (32-bit) myself, I still think that your decision on replacing the asm code is a good move for portability.

Now there's just one bug a saw. This isn't new though, it's been in the GNU/Linux port forever I think. Anyway, if you go to fullscreen by pressing Alt + ENTER, you get thrown back to windowed mode if you press just ENTER again.

BTW, would it be feasible to use a menu bar in fullscreen, and showing/hiding it by pressing Esc, like in VisualBoyAdvance or Snes9x for Windows? I would really prefer it over the way you currently choose options in Gens in Windows.
    Last edited by nerdy_girlscout; October 29th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_girlscout View Post
    sonicretro seems to be down.
    Now there's just one bug a saw. This isn't new though, it's been in the GNU/Linux port forever I think. Anyway, if you go to fullscreen by pressing Alt + ENTER, you get thrown back to windowed mode if you press just ENTER again.

BTW, would it be feasible to use a menu bar in fullscreen, and showing/hiding it by pressing Esc, like in VisualBoyAdvance or Snes9x for Windows? I would really prefer it over the way you currently choose options in Gens in Windows.
    The first part is an issue with how modifier keys are handled between GTK+ and SDL. I'll attempt to fix that for the next release. (You can work around this problem by pressing and releasing Alt after the mode switch is finished.)

The second part, I'm not sure if that can be fixed easily. Fullscreen mode uses plain SDL without GTK+, so I can't easily add a menu bar. I am considering adding an on-screen display though, similar to the type found on a cable box.

Beans

Is it hard to use GTK and SDL in fullscreen? I don't have any coding experience so I don't know. But most important is the issue with input that I mentioned though. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would like to second nerdy_girlscout's request, yet understand that they may be difficult. I'm no coder either.

Your version of Gens is AWESOME!! It does not flicker on my system and the menus are actually usable. I can also use OpenGL with this version. I thank and encourage you to continue your efforts. Thanks

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast