Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who misses screen savers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Am I the only one who misses screen savers?

Kubuntu still has them. I use the Clock Screen saver, right now I don't use anything my monitor goes off.
    Rob
    Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Sync files between your comuters Back-up & Share files. Sign Up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

We have an Atom miniITX PC in the kitchen, wall mounted screen, when not in use for other things, it displays a slideshow of family photos using Xscreensaver. Effectively functioning as a digital photo frame.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans

Good screensaver in office = Good advertisement for Ubuntu

For me, installing xscreensaver was alot of work and required using a tutorial. If a software engineer needs to use a tutorial just to activate a screensaver then something is really wrong. It should be alot more simple than that. I understand that they are trying to save space on the cd by not including screensavers out of the box.

This whole issue could be overcome by having a screensaver section in the Ubuntu App Store.
    Last edited by mr john; September 11th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Kubuntu has some nice ones built in (i really like the plasma/flurry one in the default package, back on 11.10) im afraid i have little use for them other than something nice to toy around with. Just as soon set power management to power down the screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Good screensaver in office = Good advertisement for Ubuntu

For me, installing xscreensaver was alot of work and required using a tutorial. If a software engineer needs to use a tutorial just to activate a screensaver then something is really wrong. It should be alot more simple than that. I understand that they are trying to save space on the cd by not including screensavers out of the box.

This whole issue could be overcome by having a screensaver section in the Ubuntu App Store.
    Not only that, but users could submit more screensavers using a dedicated screensaver scripting language. We could call it USSL (Ubuntu Screensaver Scripting Language). It could load media (videos, images, audio) into memory, to play over and over or it could draw graphics onto the screen. It could access system and online resources to allow users to customize the Screensavers. That would be great to include in the next release of Ubuntu. Especially if the rumors are true about them moving away from the one CD goal and onto a DVD.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Lux Perpetua View Post
    I specifically miss the old 16-bit "After Dark" screen savers from the mid-1990s (think Windows 95). Nirvana, Frost and Fire, Satori, Mountains, Penrose....
    Lawnmower man and flying toasters...

I don't run any screensavers anymore, I just have the monitor go to sleep after like 10 minutes.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    You can blame Gnome3/Unity for that. On other desktop environments it's as simple as installing any other package from the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like having a screensaver on my laptop and it cycles through photos in my pictures directories.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I like having a screensaver on my laptop and it cycles through photos in my pictures directories.
    Me too - laptop on I get called away to wash the toast or something by Mrs.Megaptera ... xscreensaver finds my photos ... when I get back to the laptop I have a surprise waiting behind the picture!! Oh ... that's what I was doing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My Mac has a nice screen saver as default, with random photos zooming tastefully about.

I could imagine a scenario where that might not be desirable in the office though.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast