Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto : Guild Wars 2 - Linux Install/Configuration

Beans

Smile Howto : Guild Wars 2 - Linux Install/Configuration

Hi folks!
    I’ve just completed a video tutorial on how to install/configure Guild Wars 2 on Linux, using Wine or Play on Linux.
    It doesn’t play perfectly on Linux, but its getting better.
    I hope it helps all my fellow Linux buffs out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm-irpPgPss

Cheers!
    Star

***EDIT*** Fixed Audio Levels. Quieter music, and Louder Voice.
    Last edited by starblessed; September 10th, 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: New Link! Fixed Audio Levels

Beans

Re: Howto : Guild Wars 2 - Linux Install/Configuration

Posted a new Video, about how to install Gw2 without the need for MS Windows.

Linky : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFmojaEHx08
    Last edited by starblessed; September 20th, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Adjust URL

Beans

Exclamation Re: Howto : Guild Wars 2 - Linux Install/Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by starblessed View Post
    This URL is no longer valid. To better comply with Youtube standards, I have resampled the video with Creative Commons music.

Here's the NEW link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA7FWgEy-oY

Beans

New hosting/Mirror :

Hi folks!
    I’m Posting this here at the request of one of the people who posted on the Original Thread in the Tech Support Forum.
    I’ve just completed a video tutorial on how to install/configure Guild Wars 2 on Linux, using Wine or Play on Linux.
    Downloaded on Windows – Install on Linux : http://goo.gl/RVn1Y
    Download and install – Linux Only : http://goo.gl/hTM2w
    GW2 doesn’t play perfectly on Linux, but its getting better.
    I hope it helps all my fellow Linux buffs out there!
    Cheers!
    Star
    EDIT*** Due to Youtube being idiots and taking down my video’s believing them to contain copy written material, even though I go to great lengths to show the Creative Commons License, I had to move the videos. They’re now hosted on my own server.
    EDIT*** Replaced the music within the second video to better comply with the Creative Commons License.
    EDIT*** Replaced the music within the first video to better comply with the Creative Commons License.
    EDIT*** Added second video, showing how to install, using ONLY Linux, without the need to download the content on MS Windows.
    EDIT*** Due to requests, Audio levels have been adjusted. Music is now more quiet, and Voice has been boosted.
    Also, thanks to KerrMD for pointing out the web address for the Guild Wars 2 wiki entry for Linux : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine

Beans

What is the performance like in the emulator?

Beans

Hiya.

Its not bad. GW2 is highly CPU intensive. The graphics are secondary.

The game will only run on a single core, so that core needs to be fast to get any usable result.

I run a 1090T Hex Core that tops out at about 4GHz. It runs relatively well, though as of writing, the game is still much more playable on Windows with the same config.

Windows I get around 120fps @ Max settings

Linux seems to be limited to about 30fps and drops dramatically in heavily populated areas.

Playable, but nowhere near as smooth. There also seems to be stuttering, as the game constantly loads content from the hard drive, without caching. Therefore its always loading and seems to freeze briefly every time it does.

As the Wine dev's catch up, the fps should increase. If I can get at least 60fps via Linux, Ill switch completely.

Ive also heard of people with nVidia cards getting better results than ATi users like myself.

Hope this helps!

Star

Beans

I've been playing it for a couple weeks without issue. I get about 30fps, but that's with a very old (and cheap) nVidia 9800GT (the one with the smaller memory pipeline though).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That video helped a lot man!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Nanur; September 29th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I finished downloading the game files, and after it was complete I pressed the "Play" button, and the screen disappeared, and the guild wars 2 cursor appeared, and the music began to play but all I could see is my Desktop..

Any answers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nanur View Post
    That video helped a lot man!
    Thanks!
    You're welcome mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanur View Post
    I finished downloading the game files, and after it was complete I pressed the "Play" button, and the screen disappeared, and the guild wars 2 cursor appeared, and the music began to play but all I could see is my Desktop..

Any answers?
    I'm sorry bro, kinda need a little more information. In Play on Linux, try running the game with Debug, and posting the details in the Play on Linux Support Forum.

Outside of that, you could attempt to run wine from the command prompt.

Also, don't forget to make sure you're running the latest drivers for your video card. And I don't mean the ones from the Ubuntu repo's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast