Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GNObuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNObuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by hugmenot View Post
    I think my main interest stems from this. Will the GNOMEbuntu spin allow me to run a system closer to upstream by removing the patches and hard dependencies that were introduced?

Of course I can add and remove packages only to the extent that no conflicts arise. And the available PPAs only go so far.

The worst pain for me is the custom keyboard shortcuts and media-keys in g-s-d, which are broken because they still sit in Gconf.
    You're in luck! Please see guitara's latest call for testing as the gsettings keyboard shortcuts work is almost ready to land in Ubuntu.

Also I don’t understand why I need two separate online account thingies. The whole idea and its necessity is over my head.
    I think part of the issue is that the GNOME Online Accounts (GOA) developers were stingy about what services they'd allow to be added, which means that Evolution & Empathy still need separate accounts preferences windows which means GOA isn't very useful. On the other hand, I'm not happy with Ubuntu Online Accounts as it looks to be just an alternative GUI for Empathy accounts and so we still need GOA for Contacts, Documents, etc.

One more thing, what about all those touch and gesture patches? Will you get rid of those too?
    No, why would we do that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    No, why would we do that?
    Well I asked to see how thorough the push to close the gap to upstream will be. If you will, how much chocolate flakes will remain in your stracciatella flavor.

These gesture patches were crash prone earlier. I remeber that I had to push an eog without those patches to my PPA, because I had had to live without eog for months on my work PC because it would segfault on startup every time.

Beans
    Distro

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

Gnome 3.6 first impressions | Simply Beautiful!

*Note: I tested Gnome 3.5.9 in Mageia 3 (aka Cauldron) ..amazing distro. Probably the best distro out there..
    That can't be truth , I guess he haven't heard of Gnomebuntu yet

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    And now, ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

Gnome 3.6 first impressions | Simply Beautiful!

That can't be truth , I guess he haven't heard of Gnomebuntu yet
    A telling quote from that article, regarding Nautilus:

Is Files 3.6 overall better than Files 3.4? I let this to you to judge. But I can say that is prettier. Much prettier. And for me that counts a lot. More than functionality.
    Um, yeah. That tells me not to trust much of what he says.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcellius View Post
    Um, yeah. That tells me not to trust much of what he says.
    But how can we trust you ? Have you even tried Gnome 3.6 ?

Beans

I don't think pretty is more important than functionality. I want both!
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!

But how can we trust you ? Have you even tried Gnome 3.6 ?
    You don't know. I'm just saying that I don't think "pretty" is more important than "functionality." I'm not saying you have to agree with me.

I do like "pretty," though, so I'd like to have both, too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcellius View Post
    You don't know. I'm just saying that I don't think "pretty" is more important than "functionality." I'm not saying you have to agree with me.

I do like "pretty," though, so I'd like to have both, too.
    Exactly, we all are entitled to our own opinion, even a person that makes a review, but that doesn't make him less trustworthy in my book.

Be positive, love your Gnome (3.6)
    Last edited by Stinger; August 23rd, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Beans

Because they don't fit Unity? No. I just don't like changes that are silly like:

You
    Everyone Else
    Some Other Dude

That is downright ridiculous. (Changes to Permissions)

You don't like the changes because they don't fit Unity ?

I hope for you and all other Ubuntu users that Gnome is not dying, because that would mean that Ubuntu and Unity is dying too, Ubuntu and Unity relies on Gnome3.

Don't be a grouch, embrace and love your Gnome, you depend on Gnome to have your desktop working.

Here is a good site to follow the Gnome development and the features of Gnome.
    http://worldofgnome.org/

Ps.
    The desktop I have become so fond of and really love for it's innovation , vision and persistence in creating, what I think is one of, if not, the best desktop interfaces today, has become 15 years old.

Happy Birthday Gnome !

Beans
    Distro

When can first Gnobuntu image be expected? Will it be also provided through Ubuntu website, like Xubuntu eg?
    It can be serious contender for most Ubuntu family member. Gnome-shell is lighter and more customizable than Unity-3d right now, and Ubuntu already "naturally" integrates Gnome.
    ...when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks back at you

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast