Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    At that screen, instead of picking a language, press the <esc> key and it should get you to this screen:

At this screen, it is a Grub Menu. Look at the lower right of the menu, where it says "F6 Other" Pressing <F6> will bring us this screen (below):

Here (above) there is some of the most common boot up options, where you want to try "nomodeset"

If that doesn't work, if you press <F1> for help and while in the "help menu" pressed <F6> or <F7> you would be pressented with more common boot options. where you can select them with <enter> or <space> such as ...

And when you press <esc> those entries are retaained and then you can edit them and boot or boot them as presented..
    That does not work for me I cannot get to Grub menu...
    When I press esc nothing happens...

Beans

Pressing esc before that "Try Ubuntu" window helped

nomodeset worked for me...im in

thank you for your help and patience

one more question. If I decide to install Ubuntu I guess I will have to use same option. What does it mean in "long term". Do I need to install some drivers? do I miss anything using nomodeset?

Thanks!

Beans

so I've done some noodling about the apparmor stuff...
    Although I don't really know what I'm doing.

I've done

sudo apt-get install apparmor-profiles

which looked like it was doing something and helping...

but then I still get

chroot: cannot execute etc/apparmor/initframs : no such file or directory

so I tried doing a sudo apt-get install initframs

worth a punt I thought, but that doesn't exist.. so no..

where do I go from here?

Thanks again for all your helps

Tommy Tomato x

Quote Originally Posted by tattwood833 View Post
    Hello Hello,
    This thread has been incredibly useful so far, and I think I am on the verge of a breakthrough.

So my system boots to a blank screen, a blank screen with a fully moving cursor.

I can <CTRL><ALT><F1> in to a terminal no problems.
    I've been able to do a sudo apt-get update and upgrade no problems... so I am guessing the kernel loads and we have no problems there.

*THOUGHT* it was a graphics problem, so tried some of the grub edits suggested in the first post in the thread, not much joy there...

Although something that keeps coming up in every graphical situation I try:

chroot: etc/apparmor/initramfs : No such file or directory
    Apparmor Profiles fail to load

or some such...

So this starts suggesting to me that it isn't a "Blank Screen" / Graphic issue at all, that I am missing some stuff - the apparmor stuff - but I don't know what that is?

Or indeed where to go and get it...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Tommy Tomato x

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    @danealle

1. What pc do you have with what kind of Graphics?
    2. Was your install/upgrade of 11.04 a distribution upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 or from a LiveCD?
    3. Do you have a 11.04 LiveCD and does it boot on your PC?
    4. Is Ubuntu the only operating system on your PC?
    1-i uses sony vaio E series. i don't know what kind of graphics, but it worked perfectly with Ubuntu 10.10.
    2-upgraded from update manager.
    3-currently working on it, will keep you informed, thank you.
    4-yes.

Beans

my live cd worked well for starters.. but after i downloaded additional drivers for my laptop,(ATI/AMDproprietary FGLRX graphics driver) the windows disappear.. there are only files, no windows at all.. so i pressed <ctrl><alt><del> to restart and same happen when i logged in ubuntu.. i tried logging in using classic ubuntu, the system is like ubuntu 10.10.. why is there no windows when log in ubuntu.?
    P/s: 11.04 seems slower than 10.10..
    i am considering to use 10.04 long term support.. is it wise.?
    Last edited by danealle; May 3rd, 2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: missed something.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by danealle View Post
    my live cd worked well for starters.. but after i downloaded additional drivers for my laptop,(ATI/AMDproprietary FGLRX graphics driver) the windows disappear.. there are only files, no windows at all.. so i pressed <ctrl><alt><del> to restart and same happen when i logged in ubuntu.. i tried logging in using classic ubuntu, the system is like ubuntu 10.10.. why is there no windows when log in ubuntu.?
    P/s: 11.04 seems slower than 10.10..
    i am considering to use 10.04 long term support.. is it wise.?
    Assuming since you lost graphics by installing fglrx on ATI, that you fall into the ATI/fglrx bug that is going on...

Look near the end of the first post under the ATI notes for the script to uninstall the fglrx drivers... Somewhere said that these drivers "lost support for" with this version (so far) and running this script should/might get you back up.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tattwood833 View Post
    so I've done some noodling about the apparmor stuff...
    Although I don't really know what I'm doing.

I've done

sudo apt-get install apparmor-profiles

which looked like it was doing something and helping...

but then I still get

chroot: cannot execute etc/apparmor/initframs : no such file or directory

so I tried doing a sudo apt-get install initframs

worth a punt I thought, but that doesn't exist.. so no..

where do I go from here?

Thanks again for all your helps

Tommy Tomato x
    I'm looking into and testing...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drymnfr View Post
    Sorry for the late response.

I did not have to change any other settings. I was slowly checking off all the suggestions recommended in this thread, for the black screen after reboot problem. The only thing that works for me is
    Code:
    acpi=off
    The other related things i tried, but did not work for me, are:
    pci=noacpi
    acpi=noirq
    irqpoll
    noapic
    acpi_osi="Linux"

Also, I checked and Unity desktop works fine as well.

Since I've added "acpi=off", the only problem I now have is that the system freezes on Shut Down. I have to press the power button to turn off. Restart option works fine. Everything else seems normal, wired network, wireless network, printing, etc all work fine.
    noacpi or acpi=off <> Freeze On Wakeup from suspend, some freezes on shutdowns... YES.

If it works, there is a trade off. It is turning off all acpi calls. If we could figure out just what specific acpi call it was that was affecting it, then maybe...

I see this as a temporary work-around, but not as a fix. Yes, I see it as a possible kernel BUG just by with having to use it.

Beans

Instead of trying to read any of the information you provide, which surely would only lead me into a headache, I'll simply ask whether I could solve the problem that I now have by simply doing a reinstall?

I'll describe the symptoms.

1. I was not in an upgrade situation when the issue manifested. I was simply restarting the pc for some ordinary reason.

2. When I came to the graphical logon screen, it was changed. I'm ucsing 10.04.1 (I think) and build 2.6.32.31. Instead of the "soft" purplish look it now had a "hard" (like Windows 3.1) look, a black background, a grey box with a blue pc icon at the top, and the default user box had an "air force blue" background.

3. What happens when I enter the usual password is that either the logon screen comes back, or I hear the three rapid tamtam drum sounds and I'm in the black.

I googled "ubuntu terminal reinstall" and I have tried a few commands that didn't help me any (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, sudo apt-get install -f, sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a)

Now, either can someone tell me how I fix this, btw. I'm on a communal pc that is really BAD, but noone in charge bothers to fix it. (That's why I installed ubuntu on it in the first place - it had only Windows XP Pro.) Or could my initial request solve the problem, i.e. would the appropriate command to do a reinstall perhaps solve the problem? If so, what is that command?

I could also mention that not too long after the most recent upgrade of build ubuntu started to drop out of its gui displaying a series of messages that didn't make any sense to me (one about PulseAudio, I don't remember the others). For the many weeks that this has been occurring (several times a day) I have simply dealt with it by hitting ctrl-alt-del repeatedly until it reboots.

The processor is x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1992MHz

Video Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Monitor: Dell E772p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@MAFoElffen: Any other suggestions for me to try?

Page 9 of 139 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast