Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antivirus

Beans

Re: Antivirus

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    I know that I don't need an antivirus, but I'm working with Windows users all the time and sending attachments, and I'm also kind of paranoid.
    Most every mail service provider scans for viruses and malware distributed via email. If your talking about exchanging files with other users on a private network, like at work, then your mail server should have anti-virus scanning in place as well. If you don't, I recommend installing MailScanner and ClamAV in your place of business.

Beans

Waste of time and resources to be honest, if it is for the benefit of the windows machines then let their own AV deal with it.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubun2geek View Post
    That's a plus about ubuntu. You've got a steel wall around your PC with no Windows to let any viruses in.
    Do you um, actually know how viruses work?
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Orcris View Post
    I don't like ClamAV
    What's it you don't like about ClamAV?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Waste of time and resources to be honest, if it is for the benefit of the windows machines then let their own AV deal with it.
    Don't you think it benefits him as well?

Who wants to work with someone who is sending them viruses?

At least to me personally I would lose trust in someone who is sending me new viruses all the time. Or at least think "what is up with that?".

It leaves a very bad business impression and I think the idea to not pass viruses around is a good one, all benefits from it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fishfisting View Post
    Don't you think it benefits him as well?

Who wants to work with someone who is sending them viruses?

At least to me personally I would lose trust in someone who is sending me new viruses all the time. Or at least think "what is up with that?".

It leaves a very bad business impression and I think the idea to not pass viruses around is a good one, all benefits from it.
    yes and no.

Most of the reports from Linux AV are false positives anyways, ClamAV is pretty poor.

If you share files with windows users then by all means run some, but dont rely on it being any good.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    yes and no.

Most of the reports from Linux AV are false positives anyways, ClamAV is pretty poor.

If you share files with windows users then by all means run some, but dont rely on it being any good.

I don't have the best experiences from antiviruses myself (and I currently do not use one).

One nice service one could use is virustotal.com it lets you scan files that you want to send without having a service constantly running in the background.

I sometimes scan files using that service. The file will get scanned by multiple scanners, witch should be better than to use just one antivirus.

The bad thing is that personal/business documents may not be the smartest thing to upload to a site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12