Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: have you got a really old computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: have you got a really old computer

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    So it seems Trusty does not run even in this very simple installation without any graphics. It would certainly be interesting to find out if it is 'only' a RAM issue, or if it is something else related to the kernel and the CPU or some other hardware, so let us hope runrickus will find some suitable RAM for you.

If it works ok from the live CD then why will it not work from the installed image? I do not think it is RAM problem.. I think it is matter of installation proceedure. I will have to trick it or clone it some other way but then thats not the prerequisite for the test, so, if it does not install correctly from standard CD to non -pae 80MB then it has to be determined as a failed install, not a failed .iso copy/download.

I'll work on this. I'll be back later

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    If it works ok from the live CD then why will it not work from the installed image? I do not think it is RAM problem.. I think it is matter of installation proceedure. I will have to trick it or clone it some other way but then thats not the prerequisite for the test, so, if it does not install correctly from standard CD to non -pae 80MB then it has to be determined as a failed install, not a failed .iso copy/download.

I'll work on this. I'll be back later
    The live system is Debian Wheezy. The installed system is Ubuntu Trusty. Both have i486 kernels, but many things are different.

You can check the md5sum of the download, but I do not suspect an error there. I do not suspect an error in the installation. I think that the HDD with the installed system will run when moved to another computer (if it can be connected). Or you can try in a more powerful computer (of age similar to the one tested by Doug S or newer).

I think that this computer cannot run Ubuntu Trusty. At least not with only 80 MB RAM. Maybe there is something else, some capability of the CPU, that is missing, but the kernel wants. Or maybe some hardware driver that does not cooperate with the actual hardware, and it gets stuck at the blinking cursor.

Beans
    Hidden!

... or is there some start-up text, that is mixed with the login prompt? In that case, press Enter, and you should get a fresh login prompt.

Code:
    nonpae login:
    where you should enter guru and get the password prompt, where to enter the password 'changeme'.

Code:
    nonpae login: guru
    Password:
    Edit: the text version installed from TrustyB1npae-text.iso uses only 38 MB when idling in my IBM Thinkpad T42, reported by
    Code:
    free -m
    Edit2: I removed quiet splash and added the boot option mem=80M. The Thinkpad boots and mem reports 68 MB available and now only 31 MB used when idling. So I suspect that there is some other thing than RAM, that might be the show stopper for you, ventrical.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 15th, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Nice screenshot The installation seems successful.

So Debian Wheezy works but not Ubuntu Trusty in this very old computer with only 80 MB RAM.
    Nope. Installation not successful. Only live CD.

Beans
    Distro

The live system is Debian Wheezy. The installed system is Ubuntu Trusty. Both have i486 kernels, but many things are different.
    Ahh .. I see. Thanks for that clarification.

Beans
    Distro

Edit2: I removed quiet splash and added the boot option mem=80M. The Thinkpad boots and mem reports 68 MB available and now only 31 MB used when idling. So I suspect that there is some other thing than RAM, that might be the show stopper for you, ventrical.
    Yes .. I think this could very well be it or it may be the mkusb script that is not cooperating with this vintage machine's hardware. I'll keep at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My system is defiantly working better than last week. I was able to update/upgrade from a xterm window in graphics mode. I am able to use the web browser, but it does crash often. I think it just runs out of memory and quits. There is no /var/crash log file. I was able to browse my own web site no problem (mostly hand coded html). I am also able to open ubuntuforums.org (at 48 % memory used by the browser) and the Ubuntu+1 forums (at 51% memory used by the browser), but it would always crash when I tried to open this thread (I would see 53% memory used, then crash). I tried several times. However, by trying to open page 12 directly (which was short at the time) it did open. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to reply to this thread from that computer, but the browser crashed again when I tried to login via SSO.

I did install ssh server, which makes it easier to cut and paste the below from my puTTY session:
    Code:
    guru@nonpae:~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           115         98         17          0          1         59
    -/+ buffers/cache:         37         78
    Swap:          319         26        293
    Edit: added some "top" stuff (it seems to be using less memory this time):
    Code:
    top - 22:13:56 up  1:13,  2 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.28, 0.30
    Tasks:  84 total,   1 running,  83 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s):  1.0 us,  1.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 97.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem:    118652 total,   115720 used,     2932 free,     2220 buffers
    KiB Swap:   327676 total,    22032 used,   305644 free.    55856 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
     3597 guru      20   0  396324  49548  30676 S  0.0 41.8   0:29.69 x-www-browser
      884 root      20   0  129588  12900   3864 S  0.0 10.9   4:51.77 Xorg
     1022 guru      20   0  235640   5652   4128 S  0.0  4.8   0:26.03 lxpanel
     3475 root      20   0   10936   3440   2712 S  0.0  2.9   0:01.28 sshd
     3494 root      20   0   29496   3280   2644 S  0.0  2.8   0:00.29 console-kit-dae
    Last edited by Doug S; March 15th, 2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Ok ... will do .. but right now I am installing the text version. I'll have to pull those dimms er simms hehehe and take a look.
    I'm not sure on this one? But have a look and let me know.
    I think that's as old as I get any-more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    I'm not sure on this one? But have a look and let me know.
    I think that's as old as I get any-more.

I got tons of that memory The NEC Ready is a vintage machine that has the old simm setup any DDR or SDRAM will not fit.

Thanks for trying.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

I finally got the hdd and cd to sync up in BIOS as both MASTER on my NEC Ready. That is the only way it will work. Otherwise it is very finicky with CS and SLAVE.

Here is what I get when I boot up with the text.iso (and then just blinking cursor).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast