Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Microsoft face another fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Microsoft sued by Europe for not providing "Browser Choice"

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Yes. Just how stupid do you think people are?

Stupid? no.

Well, I'm sure you don't know the answer to that rhetorical question, but in my own area, there are two stores that specialize in Apple computers, while also selling PCs, Best Buy which sells Apples and PCs, and then there's Radio Shack and Walmart which sell only PCs. That makes the representation in our area (Vermont/New Hampshire) about 50/50. And then there's the Internet where you can order just about any PC you want, including a Chromebook or a Linux laptop, but the world wide web is so esoteric. I
    A lot of intelligent people have no idea PC OSs other than Windows and Apple even exist. Is this a failure of marketing? Probably, but which of the alternative OS providers has even 1% of the marketing resources of a Microsoft or Apple? If someone is trying to level the playing field a bit, good luck to them.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Yes, but you won't see Firefox, Chrome or IE on any iPhones. That's called "not providing 'Browser Choice'".
    Because iPhones have a market share of what? Thirty percent? You can be sure that if Apple had a >95% market share in the EU, they would be forced to open up for Opera, Chrome, Firefox, etc.

Your point is moot, Apple has no (near) monopoly in the smartphone market.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    I still dont understand why the EU or the competitors for that matter think it's in their right to decide WHAT default choice of program is bundled with a software (OS) in this scenario? Regardless of how you twist and turn it, it's absurd.
    So you would be OK with General Motors including a TomTom in every car they build?
    Even if it made your car more expensive? And if there were no options to buy a car without it? And suppose this happened if GM had a monopoly, or a near monopoly?
    That would be fair to Garmin, Harman Kardon, VDO Dayton, etc?
    That would be fair to consumers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Yes, I do understand the basis of the matter. Probably better than you do, if any of this is news to you.
    Go back and read in a calm manner. Then you'll see whether "Probably better than you do, if any of this is news to you." has to be directed at me or someone else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Go back and read in a calm manner. Then you'll see whether "Probably better than you do, if any of this is news to you." has to be directed at me or someone else.
    My apologies, you are quite correct!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    So you would be OK with General Motors including a TomTom in every car they build?
    Even if it made your car more expensive? And if there were no options to buy a car without it? And suppose this happened if GM had a monopoly, or a near monopoly?
    That would be fair to Garmin, Harman Kardon, VDO Dayton, etc?
    That would be fair to consumers?
    You still don't understand... Windows is Microsoft's platform, if they choose to default certain applications it is completely in their right to do so. They can do whatever the flip they want to do within Windows. Your choice is whether or not to purchase Windows or not. If you do, then you purchase it with a set of applications.

The problem here is that if Opera wants to be used in the "applications" market or whatever their excuse is they are inherently playing ball with Windows and as such have to accept the rules and regulations of said platform. Another perspective would be to imagine that IKEA was to determine what kind of forks you use when you eat.

This is nothing but another one of the EU protectionist BS of trying to promote EU industries vs foreign companies. It has nothing to do with monopoly or anything.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Microsoft face another fine.

This has got too political.

Besides it's been done to death already.

Closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234