Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EXT4 - I just don't get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: EXT4 - I just don't get it.

How about trying btrfs?? Can be used in 10.10 as long as you keep /boot separate with an older fs such as ext2.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    How about trying btrfs?? Can be used in 10.10 as long as you keep /boot separate with an older fs such as ext2.
    Yeah, btrfs, what a nightmare, sorry to say. It seems like it's good, but whenever I'd have large data operations going my computer would freeze until it was finished. And the data throughputs weren't all that great either, it was about the same as ext3. BTRFS does have some work before it'll be good. So I'm sticking with XFS - I just reformatted last night to get away from BTRFS cause I do a lot with VMs and the disk activity of just loading a VM was enough to bring my system to its knees.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    btrfs is not ready for mainstream use. The specifications are still being laid out and the code base is still in development.

It also can't be fscked as there is no stable utility to do so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

BTRFS is abysmally slow at this point, I made the mistake of using it on a system with a Celeron and 512Mb ram. Boot-up seems to be ok, but any file operations seem to take forever. Updating from Maverick to Natty took well over 4 hours, where it usually takes less than an hour on the same system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The only problamatic file system I have had with Ubuntu was NTFS.

EXT4 since I was an option has never gone worng for me.

My other favo is XFS but its too slow dealing with small files. and you can't shrink partitions.

If you experience data corruption on such large scale it could really be a disk problem or information transfer issue.

Most of the documented cases where EXT4 has failed is because of the user incorrectly shut down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    BTRFS is abysmally slow at this point, I made the mistake of using it on a system with a Celeron and 512Mb ram. Boot-up seems to be ok, but any file operations seem to take forever. Updating from Maverick to Natty took well over 4 hours, where it usually takes less than an hour on the same system.
    To install 143 updates on Mint, it took 3 hours! It was horrible. I just did it like an hour ago and it only took like 15-20 min for the 143 updates, maybe less.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

Seeing that EXT4 is now being made the default file system in so many distro's (Red Hat as well) I can't believe there is a major corruption problem with it... it wouldn't make sense...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought google had moved all their servers to ext4. I'd be surprised if there were major problems with it.

Beans

Google's engineers are known for extending open projects to meet Google's massive enterprise scale. Usage by Google, or any other huge company with near-limitless engineering capacity, shouldn't act as an endorsement, as their setup very well may not be the stock code available to us.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Haven't run into any data corruption issues since I migrated to ext4 a while ago. I use it on my RAID array, OS drives and backup drives.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast