Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is not ready for average users

Beans

Talking Ubuntu is not ready for average users

It has been 2 years now since I started toying with Ubuntu. Prior to this I used Linux for over 10 years... and I must say:

Thinking that Ubuntu can ever compete with Windows XP/Vista on the desktop is a joke.

Case in question: I have a 2 year old Lenovo 3000 N100. By now Ubuntu installation should be able to cope with its WiFi detection automagically - just like Windows XP/Vista does.

But no, I have to write this message from my dual booted Windows XP (on that laptop, I am glad I paid the extra $85 for this OEM XP license, came pre-installed from Lenovo) - because Ubuntu 8.04 won't let me do anything with this laptop's WiFi - certainly not present me with available networks in the vicinity in order to select one.

This is crazy. Yeah, the feature that tries to seduce the user to import his/her settings from Windows' "Documents & Settings" is cute, but Ubuntu missed the point: 2-year old hardware must be fully supported - and in a user friendly manner.

OK - enough ranting. I am sure I can solve this WiFi problem somehow, but what about "average joe"? Is this how Ubuntu plans to fight the Microsoft monopoly?

BTW, this was a CLEAN INSTALL of Ubuntu 8.04, not an upgrade (from the previously installed 7.04).
    Last edited by xp_newbie; May 19th, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
    Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper Drake) running on:
    > ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (Promise 1+0 Stripe/RAID0)
    Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) running on:
    > Lenovo 3000 N100 (type 0768, model 36U)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Ubuntu 8.04 is Amazing

Intel wireless?
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 is Amazing

The joke is Linux supports loads of devices that are closed source out of the box (unlike Windows) and it's smart to try and pick hardware that runs perfectly on Linux from the outset.

Look at Apple Mac. They don't have to support the multitude of hardware Linux does yet people don't say "Apple sucks" even though it has a lower supported device count.

If Linux came like Mac did (i.e. with it's own hardware from the shop) you wouldn't say it sucked because it would work out of the box.

People's attitudes need to change and people need to start buying properly supported Linux hardware from manufacturers willing to help or release drivers.

In the future check your hardware on whatever you plan to buy and make sure it runs ok.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OoooMatron View Post
    People's attitudes need to change and people need to start buying properly supported Linux hardware from manufacturers willing to help or release drivers.
    I agree - people, not software, need to change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Intel wireless?
    I think that you are right, but I have to double-check (it could be Broadcom) and post detailed output (of both HW config and ifconfig).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xp_newbie View Post
    It has been 2 years now since I started toying with Ubuntu. Prior to this I used Linux for over 10 years... and I must say:

Thinking that Ubuntu can ever compete with Windows XP/Vista on the desktop is a joke.

Case in question: I have a 2 year old Lenovo 3000 N100. By now Ubuntu installation should be able to cope with its WiFi detection automagically - just like Windows XP/Vista does.

But no, I have to write this message from my dual booted Windows XP (on that laptop, I am glad I paid the extra $85 for this OEM XP license, came pre-installed from Lenovo) - because Ubuntu 8.04 won't let me do anything with this laptop's WiFi - certainly not present me with available networks in the vicinity in order to select one.

This is crazy. Yeah, the feature that tries to seduce the user to import his/her settings from Windows' "Documents & Settings" is cute, but Ubuntu missed the point: 2-year old hardware must be fully supported - and in a user friendly manner.

OK - enough ranting. I am sure I can solve this WiFi problem somehow, but what about "average joe"? Is this how Ubuntu plans to fight the Microsoft monopoly?

BTW, this was a CLEAN INSTALL of Ubuntu 8.04, not an upgrade (from the previously installed 7.04).
    If you feel it can't compete with XP/Vista, then why are you using it?

Oh and about your wireless problem, have you tried ndiswrapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Why Gripe about something that is free? If you don't like it don't use it.And Ubuntu beats the sh*t outta vista and its way faster. xp is better than vista and thats not saying much. but to each his own. good luck to ya.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I personally think ubuntu is a much more stable, much more versatile and easier to use OS than windows. The reason you run into hardware issues with linux/ubuntu is because computer manufactuers create hardware to work specifically with windows. The fact is, alot of linux drivers have to be reverse engineered because the hardware manufacturers refuse to release code. If we compare this to MacOS, Ubuntu supports worlds more hardware than apple ever will, the reason... Apple doesn't have to, they write an operating system to work with VERY specific hardware. The question of whether ubuntu can ever compete with windows is not a question of quality, but a question of marketing and consumer knowledge. Microsoft has bought off so many companies and weaseled their way to the top to get where they are. They are at the top because of the sheer number of companies paid to distribute their product *despite* the fact that their product is incredibly insecure and poorly written. Perhaps in some ways they have made their product more user friendly but it is only because they have hundreds of companies writing software and making hardware to work with their product. Because of that I say to Ubuntu, superb job at keeping up with and supporting a wide variety of hardware even when some of the manufactures themselves didn't intend it.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy

Beans

Dear fellow Ubuntu comrades, please accept my apologies if any of you were offended by my post above.

Please note that I am on your side, not Windows XP's side...

One of my Tutorials & Tips here was viewed no less than 34,920 times... So, please understand that I am a loooong time Ubuntu user and I am here to stay.

Now please would you be so kind to show me how to make WiFi work on my newly installed Ubuntu 8.04? (on a Lenovo 3000 N100)

I could swear that it used to work when Ubuntu 6.06 was installed on that same machine. What happened since then that broke it?

This Lenovo's WiFi hardware is named:
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Any idea how to solve the problem?

Thanks!
    Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How about doing a search of the forums since this is a very well documented problem with workaround?

Here's a hint:
    http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/200...-ubuntu-hardy/

Please try to do an exhaustive search first prior to posting a question that has been answered. Im not sure why I am responding to this thread since it really goes against the thing I hate most about the forums.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast